retrograde ejaculation after rezum

Posted , 33 users are following.

I I had the rezum procedure performed on me about a year ago and it's been a true mixed blessing . On one hand I'm as happy as I can be since I can urinate like I was 15 years old again. On the other hand I've not ejaculated since the procedure not even a drop. I want to make clear that the procedure did not affect my ability to get an erection at all. However, not being able to ejaculate results in a ruined orgasm everytime I have sex.

I'm 51 years old and my wife and I have sex 2 3 times a week yet I feel sexually frustrated due to the lack of ejaculation.

My urologist recommended I take Sudafed before sex. i tried it once and it didn't work.

My understanding is this problem is far more common then the medical community admits to.

I'm hoping someone may have some good Insight on how to resolve this issue if it's even resolvable .

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i have re from fla. Had fla twice first time no re second time re. its kinda a bummer, but i can pee. unfortunately most of my problem now is my bladder. i have to take 4mg flomax which does effect my libido. but over all picture is much better than before fla.

let us know if its fixable.

jim

• Posted

lol, Michael you are correct. it was 22 grams but that measurement was taken 4 years prior to the Rezum. my understanding is 10 to 16 grams is normal. in 4 years it may have increased..

• Posted

So to summarize what I've learned is retro ejaculation is fairly but this procedure and it appears to be permanent. Also no one's had a procedure t

hat can correct this problem.

Hopefully , if somebody will soon have a solution

• Posted

My solution would be to have Aquablation instead of any other procedure( except Urolift which may cause other problems) that will most likely cause RE.

• Edited

I'm considering having Rezum also along with PAE and button turp. Had 5 urolift clips placed 3 years ago that no longer do the trick.

When my main uro initially discussed GLL with me (that's what his group does + UL) and we got into the topic of RE, that escalated all of this to a much higher priority for me to find the right combo of procedure and surgeon. My main uro actually said to me "if you aren't going to have children or star in adult movies it shouldn't matter." I thought that was particularly inconsiderate, but he and I have had a very good working relationship. Eventually I got him to refer me to a uro in Charlotte NC who does Rezum whom I've consulted with but am not ready to pull the trigger.

That said, from what 2 different uros have told me about what causes RE and what I learned from reading some studies in professional journals, RE in the context of BPH can be cause by any of 3 physiological issues:

(1) surgical procedure causes damage to nerves and/or muscles that are involved in slamming the internal sphincter shut that is in the bladder neck. I was told that sphincter slamming shut is the last thing that happens in the male sexual process prior to ejaculation.

(2) the ejaculatory ducts or seminal vesicles are damaged. My sense is this is relatively rare at least in cases where the surgeon is trying to preserve ejaculation. They use the verumontalum which is where the ducts are located as a landmark so they don't risk injuring the outer sphincter because that would cause incontinence for sure.

(3) With TURP and related procedures most surgeons remove a lot of tissue and try to bore-out the transition zone of the prostate so that there is a void significantly larger than in a healthy prostate. If this void in the prostate is large enough the muscular contractions that force ejaculate out can't squeeze down enough to force it out, even if the inner sphincter is functional. In other words, the semen just sits there in a big void.

Please bear in mind I am not a medical professional, this is just a rough summary of what I've been told by a couple of uros I've seen and asked about RE. Unfortunately this condition we have has no "cure=all" remedy.

• Posted

Russ,

I had a Rezum done at the end of November 2018 as it was the least invasive procedure with the least complications of the options that I considered. My 2nd choice was GLEP. I would never do a TURP. When doing the Rezum, the urologist avoided the verumontanum, sphincter complex. I do not have RE. The Rezum cleared the blockage, but due to bladder damage, my PVR's are over 100 ml.

Steve

• Posted

I'll had a 4th reason. I had a Greenlight laser procedure for my BPH, and was left totally incontinent.I finally had an AUS implanted, so having retro ejaculation is totally guaranteed.

• Posted

Russ 777.

you list three reasons why one would not ejaculate after a prostate procedure .

I just want to clarify one point you made . reason number three if I'm reading it correctly applies only to a turp not to resume ?

• Posted

Dan, good point. It is possible if Rezum or any procedure causes enough tissue to be removed or necrotized then it stands to reason that you could get RE from too large of a "chamber."

• Posted

I had the Rezum procedure in Dec 2019. I am 2 and a half months out. Initially I was fine, no RE. I had a stent placed inside of me and once the stent was removed I had normal ejaculations. Within a week after the stent removal I was in the ER due to excessive necrotic tissue blockage that caused my urination to diminish by 90%. A catheter was placed and within 2 weeks I had a follow up procedure to have the tissue removed. The follow up procedure was called TERP but my doctor assured me he was not going to cut live tissue. Post procedure I was up and around immediately. A week later I released a blog clot. It has been 2 and a half weeks and I now have RE. It is very possible that the excessive necrotic tissue removal may have opened a chamber causing this. my Hope's are that this changes over the coming months. Anyone else dealt with anything like this?

• Posted

Scott, I believe the main reason why Rezum causes RE in fewer patients is that the steam that's injected is confined to the zone into which it's injected. Neither the verumontanum nor the ejaculatory ducts are in the transition zone which is where most BPH adenomas grow. So "theoretically," even if the entire transition zone is ablated, it should not affect those structures or the muscular tissue that contracts during orgasm. The transition zone is a very small percentage of normal prostates but obviously becomes a larger percentage of the overall prostate mass when that growth occurs due to BPH. So I suppose it's possible that could be the cause.

It also seems those who have larger prostates and adenomas may be less likely to be affected by injections into the lateral lobes. Each 9 sec injection is said to eventually cause a void roughly 1 cm wide and deep. If your prostate is relatively wide, it's possible that not all of the transition zone adenoma will be ablated since multiple injections will increase the length of the aggregate void but not the depth. Conversely, if someone has a relatively narrow prostate, it's more likely the void will extend to the boundary of the transition zone. So the void would be a smaller percentage of the overall prostate volume in a large prostate.

If you had a median lobe that was treated, it's part of the central zone where the ejaculatory ducts run. So depending on how deeply the steam propagated in the central zone it's possible that particular part of the treatment could cause RE and I suppose it could be a delayed effect.

All of the above is semi-informed speculation as I'm not a medical professional. I'm surprised there's nothing in the literature that's been published addressing this aspect of Rezum treatment...at least nothing I've been able to find.

• Posted

I had the Rezum done about 18 months ago and have had RE every since. The reason I opted for this treatment was that my urologist assured me that RE would not be an issue. I had wanted to go the PAE route but the prerequisite was that the prostate size had to be over 100 cc and mine was at 85. In addition, I had to pay $CDN5500 out of pocket as the rezum was not covered by provincial health care.

The irony is that I had a TURP done about 11 years ago which carries a high rate of RE and I had no issue with RE whatsoever. I'm not a happy camper. This must be karmic and I must have p****d off someone in a previous life.

I guess you get used to it after a while as the sensation is still there but it's just not the same. I hope that with time, things will change but I am kind off resigned to the fact that the status quo is here to stay. I'm only 64. If I was 94 I wouldn't give a s**t.

• Posted

Yes, sad to say some Doctors more reputable then others. I researched at my local award winning hospital the minimally evasive options, which were Rezum & EuroLift. I specifically chose Rezum as it would decrease my prostate size & very specifically & repeatedly I discussed I wanted a procedure that would not lead to retro grade ejaculation.

Yep, that is exactly what I got, when I was told to try 2 weeks after the procedure. This money grubbing Doc has ruined an important part of my life...then he had made the mistake of saying he could do a EuroLift...when there is a certified award winning Doc in his office who does these...why....because he said they have quota's from the hospital they have to meet!

• Edited

Hey guys, I'm grateful to have found this discussion thread. I know this thread is mostly 2 years old but how are you all feeling now? I had the Rezum procedure done exactly 2 months ago. Until two days ago my recovery had been going well. I can pee much better (albeit a lot more often, but I think that's part of the recovery process) and I was able to ejaculate just like before the procedure. Then all of a sudden two days ago I noticed a significant decrease in my ejaculatory fluid and today, bam! RE took hold and nothing at all. I should mention that 2 days ago, when I was peeing I felt something "thick" come out with my urine and saw what looked like a blood clot or maybe residue from the procedure on the bottom of the toilet. I wonder if maybe there is more of that blocking my ducts which is causing my sudden RE. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Sex still feels great, but not being able to ejaculate is disappointing to both me and my partner. Any thoughts or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited

First, I want to say trying to log in here is harder than when I worked for a major aircraft company on military project. Totally ridiculous!

I had REZUM back in May 2020 and to this day I still have RE, what a disappointment.

I would not recommend REZUM for anyone until they TOTALLY understand the possible side effect of developing RE and ask questions of the urologist if anything else can go wrong during the procedure such as burning the ejaculatory duct. My urologist said he has done REZUM over a 100 times and not once did any of his patients develop RE. Well guess what, when I told him I had RE he got upset, I think I hurt his ego more than he cared for me. He said that no way could he have hurt the ejaculatory duct because he was not even near that area.

Recently, I have seen 3 urologists at 2 world famous hospitals here in northeast Ohio, (you all can guess who they are), and everyone of them said there was nothing they could do except one Dr. suggested Kegel exercises, which I have been doing for years, then they sent me on my way. Today I have set up an appointment with a 4th urologist/surgeon and am going to discuss Deflux collagen injections into the bladder neck to hopefully correct the problem. I have read a few studies on this and it seems promising. Has anyone heard of this process and if so how did it work?

Having RE to me takes away the emotional release of ejaculating and it disturbs me so much I am developed ED and now have an orgasm without an erection. That's really great for my partner, (sarcasm).

Any replies and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Posted

Larry,

Have you had any success in reversing your RE with a bladder neck treatment? I am like you as well and am trying to find a solution to RE after having Rezum. My urologist wont give me a straight answer as to exactly how i became part of the "15%" of people who develop RE after Rezum. I have to resolve this issue it is mentally making me depressed and as many have stated no it DOES NOT FEEL THE SAME.. I just want to know if anyone has had success or can at least say exactly why is causing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.