Return to the gym and walking.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im hoping to start back next week. Its 8 weeks since total right knee replacement. Walking with a stick,still get pain and stiffness and still on painkillers. Going to start on stationary bike and walking in pool. But hope in a few weeks to do punchbag{no twisting though} and maybe even try cross trainer,weights though these last 2 are things i havent done before. Any tips/advice from gym goers/knee patients? Also how far have people walked at 8 weeks? How much benefit is it and can it harm the new knee?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi John

I'm 7 weeks after TKR op.

Still have a lot of pain and do not function well without painkillers, Not sleeping well still.

Walk 29 minutes twice a day without any aids. Do a lot of stretch exercises.  Introduced the bike and weights (on ankle)  but had to pull back as just too painful. My advice would be to take it very easy when introducing anything new. Ice and stretch as often as you can.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Ann. I realised I have posted a similar thread about a month ago. Lets just say this is updating it. But thanks for your advice,gonna take it one small step at a time.
    • Posted

Also Ann I dont even try doing without painkillers. If I forget I know about it. Also wake up regularly all times of night. Seems we are at the same stage and Id say both on target. Early days.
  • Posted

Taking far longer than I would have thought.

i know everyone is different and I would have considered myself quite it beforehand. Can't wait to get back to some normality though!

• Posted

Godsake!

That should say 'fit'!!!

Its the drugs!

• Posted

Sense of humour intact though. Yes,Im the same. Pretty fit for 66. Doing circuit training just over a year ago,but it was finding my knee problem despite taking it easy. All the best Ann.
  • Posted

Hi John!

Congratulations on your knee surgery and your positive attitude!

I found working on balance was VERY HELPFUL to me as I practiced walking around the house without walker and then without cane.

I hope to get back to my 3-5 miles of walking each day which I LOVED before all my craziness set in about five years ago with my knees. That is my springtime goal.

Practice getting straight legs helps with walking. I found I needed to RE-LEARN how to walk properly since I had been compensating for so long prior to surgery.

The bike and pool are both great choices, in my opinion. Be aware of PAIN and stop ANY activity or exercise if you experience pain. My physical therapist was adamant about that!

Stiffness will come and go. A lot depends if you have been sitting too long or if the weather changes. Weather plays a big part in arthritis pain!

I am seven months out with #1 and three months out with #2. My walking is shopping right now with breaks as needed. I went back to working outside in my yard after several weeks. My garden helped motivate me to get out and get busy! I practiced EVERYTHING, from getting in the car to going up and down stairs to using a small rolling scooter in my crawlspace to get out Christmas decorations.

My best advice is TRY THINGS you want to do and carefully assess how they make you feel.

You will love being able to do things with a lot less pain!

Best wishes to you as you get stronger and more confident every day!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

Thanks for your post. Some great interesting stuff there. Good point about the weather. I think I have noticed a change since the last couple of days of cold weather. You seem to be doing marvellously,especially considering you had 2 knees done. Again,thanks ever so much.

• Posted

Yes, I am very grateful that I dodged complications with my two surgeries!

Keeping positive really helps get endorphins moving throughout your system. Endorphins lessen pain or at least lessen the feelings that cause one to focus on pain rather than progress.

You will do great!

• Posted

Thank you Cheryl. Glad I found the forum. For anybody new,its great.
  • Posted

At six weeks I was walking two kilometres a day (I'm lazy by nagture) and the surgeon said it was too much, and to cut down, as it wasn't giving the muscles a chance to heal . . .I'm sure it can't harm the new knee, but it may stress the muscles and nerves which have been beaten about during the operation.  
    • Posted

Thanks Marinarvelo

I think the most Ive done is about half/three quarter miles. Obviously Ill want to do more when the weather improves.

• Posted

Hi John, you and I are TKR twins! I am at exactly the same place as you with exactly the same problems and plans! I have ordered a static bike, plan to start exercising and walking in the pool this week and manage about 30 mins daily as a slow amble . . . . . .   But I am surrounded by hills. I struggle to walk down stair and hills, however, my physio is not too concerned. He is aware that I want to ski in 8 weeks ( reduced to the baby slopes for this year though) and has given me exercises to help achieve this. 

Behind the knee stiffness is uncomfortable, but I have reduced my pain killer mainly to night only, so maybe I should increase them again. There seems to be some good advice here, so hopefully we will be ok, all I'd say is lay off the weights unless your physio says it's ok.

• Posted

Hi Twinny,I mean Tricia.

30 minutes would be great. Im going to have to make the effort. I start Thursday,going with a mate of mine in the first instance. Yes,I will lay off weights as you advise,its just that I cant do the cardio that I would normally. Never been much of a weights man. Hope you manage the skiing Tricia. Not done it since the Army,but rememnber it being great fun. Thanks.

• Posted

John, are you still seeing your physio?

What do they advise and if not can you ask to be referred back to them or did they give you a number to call if any problems arose. 

I am based in the UK so it may be different if you are outside the UK.

keep on keeping on Twinny!!!!!

• Posted

Yes Tricia still seeing her. She is excellent. I am in Westfield so I get a fair bit back. Saw her on Thursday and she said I would only have 2 or 3 more visits then she would discharge me as didnt want me to spend my money. However although I dont have any more than a few twinges in my left leg I may go on a fortnightly basis for that until my allotted money runs out. She advises pool,bike and cross trainer although that would be new to me and im not sure myself. Surprisingly she also said i could use punchbag when i asked but I will wait until I am not using stick for a while before considering that.

No Tricia UK also.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.