Returning back to work part time and pip

Posted , 7 users are following.

Do I need to inform anybody am returning to work? July 2015 I got diagnosed with RA, I worked in childcare 30 hours per week . February this year I decided to leave my job, as I was unable to do it like before,interacting with the children in outdoor play, floor games, lifting children up etc. In May this year I was awarded standard pip. I have now found myself a job as a Lunchtime Supervisor so I will be working an hour and fifteen mins a day, 6.5hrs per week. To get this job I've had to have a Health Consultation with my new employer. I am awarded pip until 2019, so can I take on this job or have to notify DWP,and will it effect my pip??

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you consider that taking this job is a change in your circumstances?

Why did you get PIP? What difficulties were you having due to the RA?

Have those difficulties declined? If it was for pain, why can you work now but couldn't before?

If so then you do have to tell them.

• Posted

Hi.its mainly my hands I suffer with, so everyday chores cooking, chopping, altered what clothes I wear, basically like I said to pip assessor, adjustedy lifestyle due to RA,. Mobility I don't suffer with. Still in pain as before no different there in fact I am due to start cimzia next month as ra is not settling. I just feel I should work as this will keep me active.

• Posted

yes, I would tell them because if you don't now - then later you may find you have to pay them back if they felt you should no have received it.

• Posted

Hi TCake the problem with your advice is if the OP contacts the DWP it could trigger a change in circumstances when there hasn't been one.

Starting work is NOT a change in circumstances when it comes to PIP. There is only a change when the care/mobility needs are either increased or decreased.

Provided the work doesn't cause a contradiction e.g. self stacking when claiming to be bed bound, then the claimant won't need to pay any benefit back as they still qualify for the extra help.

• Posted

Yes that is what I meant.  I was thinking on the lines of if the OP is on pip because she struggles to do everyday tasks like cooking, dressing etc, then if she was to start a job that consisted of similar tasks then she might get pulled up.  I have heard of people who failed to notify pip/dla of such changes in circumstances and had to repay back quite a lot of benefit.
    • Posted

I have worked as a lunchtime supervisor in the past and I was on my feet the whole time, I was requited to help children put on their coats, gloves, hats, scarves, wellies, shoes (inc tying laces etc) as well as lift up and see to children who had fallen down etc so quite a lot to cope with.
  • Posted

Hi as Les stated it depends on whether there has been a change in circumstances with your care needs.

If you receive the same help as you did before starting work then there is no obligation on you to contact the DWP as there has been NO change in circumstance.

It's best to be prudent and prepare yourself to be ready with evidence/explanations should the DWP contact you but provided you still meet the criteria then you have done nothing wrong by not informing them.

• Posted

I will notify them. Don't want to loose my pip. Only my kids, hubby know how I suffer, especially in the mornings and on the days I've over done it. And like today after I've had my methotrexate. Suffering!!

• Posted

Fair enough however, you do need to stress that there hasn't been any changes to your care needs, unless of course there have been changes.

• Posted

hi Anthony. your reply to bhav was interesting. does it apply to esa support group 'returning to work' as well? and how would they view you after 12 months is up.

• Posted

On the citizens advice website it does say I do not need to notify them. Hopefully someone's in the same position as myself.

• Posted

Maybe wait until you have had your Health Consultation with you new employer first?  If you don't pass that then you won't get the job.

• Posted

No Ivan it doesn't. PIP is about 'care/mobility' needs ESA is about in ability to work, hence if you start work you MUST inform the DWP

Mind you your ESA claim is 'linked' for the first 12 weeks of employment, which means if you find the work too much you can return to ESA (at the previous rate) without having to make a new claim.

Also there is something called permitted work which allows the claimant to work a limited number of hours and they can keep ALL their benefit and wages provided the claimant doesn't earn more than £98pw.

• Posted

Excellent advice as usual.

One small point that I could mention as regards working and claiming ESA and that relates to self employed work. With working for an employer the hours and wage can be confirmed. However if you go down the route of SE when working under the Permitted Work route be aware that the DWP could well challenge both the hours worked and income earned. Much more difficult to prove than working for someone else.

I was caught up with this by the DWP when I decided to do some private consultancy work whilst in the SG of Contribution based ESA. Obviously I notified HMRC that I intended to be self employed. But when I contacted the DWP they would not agree the hours I intended to work nor would they accept my argument that the net after all expenses paid was what I would be earning. They suggested that it was full time work and that the wages that I intended to pay my wife and daughter would not be allowed to be deducted from the gross fees earned. 

Consequently I gave up the work before it started.

• Posted

yes I've read about that £98pw malarkey. but wouldn't the dwp take the view if you can complete 1year of work, what are you doing on benefit? wouldn't everyone be claiming benefit plus £98 on top? begs the question. where's the catch long term.

ivan.

p.s.dunno if you read dpac but have you read latest newsletter? if you're reading Les that's to you as well.

• Posted

You could well end up in that position with the DWP but of course every individual’s circumstances are not the same due to level of disability or illness.

I have known people who have completed the 12 months and still retained their benefit.

Speaking generally if you did complete the 12 months then the natural progression would be to work a minimum of 16 hours per week and claim WTC with the extra disability element.

I have done this in the past and it does leave you better off financially.

• Posted

Unfortunately Les the Government believe all self employed are fiddling either their taxes or benefits. That maybe true to an extent but when you way up the risk involved in becoming SE then it's fair some leeway should be given.

• Posted

sorry bout this, but what's WTC? do you mind if I ask if you found yourself better off how come you not doing it now. or is there time limit for that also?

ivan.

• Posted

WTC = Working Tax Credit.

My condition became serious so I had to give up work. There is no time limit of WTC or the extra disability payments providing to continue to fit the criteria.

• Posted

Jeeez.thanks for that Antony. the more I learn the more I realize how money and peace of mind has passed me by because of the stuff I don't know.

I don't even know the titles of half the benefits.

confused. dot. com!

• Posted

The school have given me a provisionally start date. But will definitely get onto DWP, as what I'll get working for 6.5hrs a week is definitely gonna be less than standard pip. Plus the thought of paying it back. I know just by calling them they'll think I'm much better, when am not. Thanks

• Posted

I can't be a lot of help I'm afraid as I don't know the answer, but it seems to be  a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't rolleyes

• Posted

They should get in touch with me beginning of new school year, nxt month.
    • Posted

No changes, still living on pain killers, tramadol. A lot has changed yes in more pain, depending on what activities I do throughout the day. It's just extra money on top of pip, was earning far more before RA.

• Posted

Tell me about what it feels like to lose your lifestyle through a disability.

I went from earning £1300 a week net in 1995 to having to live off Incapacity Benefit.

And it's not just the huge reduction in income - the ability to continue to live a 'normal life' goes to the wind. Spend hours in hospitals and having to put up with mind altering drugs. 

Continually having to be assessed and checked on. Put one foot wrong and you are taken away and locked up in hospital hoping that someone can get you out. 

As the years roll on, your health deteriorates still further, the side effects of the drugs cause more damage.

And come 20 years later you sit there and wonder 'who the hell am I'.

• Posted

It's the thought of not leading a normal life. People say "so where do you work" I say am not workin at the moment, career break. Eventually RA will get worse than it is , drugs are only slowing the process, what will happen then?? Nearly 15yrs I've always worked with children, now what job can i do, I've got no qualifications or experience in anything else bt working with kids!! I don't wanna give up yet. Gonna call DWP let u know how I got on. Lovely to hear all suggestions etc. Thanks

• Posted

I'm just skimming but SE caught my eyes. What is it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.