Reversing bone thinning without medication

Posted , 20 users are following.

Several people have posted recently that they have been able to reverse their measured (DXA scan) bone thinning through natural means - nutrition, appropriate supplements and exercise.  It would be terrific if these people could post here some basic information - their t-scores before and after, and just very briefly what they did to help themselves, as well as, perhaps, the attitude of their physicians.

6 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

In the summer of 2015 I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica and prescribed prednisone as treatment.  My doctor said something about my starting aa at the time, but changed her mind in mid-sentence. She recommended calcium and Vitamin D, which I had already been taking for years. Later I pressed for a DXA scan, which I recieved in October.  Although told the result was "osteoporosis" I later got my t-scores and I was "osteopenic".  I refused the offered medications and found what I thought might be better supplements.  I learned about Vitmain K2. which I started taking,.  I upped my exercise game.  Fortunately I ws eligible for another scan a year after the first, and this showed that my t-score had improved from -2 to -1.6. (Yes, same lab, same machine.)  Although medication had been recommended in 2015, in 2016 this was no longer the case.  My doctor's reaction?  "How did you do it?!"

I carry on.  My prednisone dose is now much lower than at the beginning so I trust it's no longer a factor.  One other health condition I have which is a bit of a problem is otherwise non-symptomatic sarcoidosis, which can, and in my case did, lead to very high levels of active Vitamin D in the body.  I had to reduce my Vitamin D intake severely all winter to get from a very high level to optimum.

So despite other health conditions I think I've shown that the natural methods can indeed improve one's bone density.

• Posted

As usual Anhaga, you are an absolute inspiration to us all. I followed all your tips and although my lower 3 vertabra have collapsed causing me all sorts of problems I had a DEXA scan in Jan 2016 (at which my T scores were not even discussed) and another (actually 3 different positions) in March 2017. I asked for my T-scores this time around and was told that my spine was -2.3 down from -2.9 the year.  The Rheumatologist was puzzled as to why all seemed to be stable and I told him what vitamins I was taking (Magnesium, K2 MK7, Calcium and D3) and the fish oil, leafy greens etc diet I was following. I see him again in 5 months and hope he starts to recommend this regime to other patients. Unfortunately I have just had to have a Mastectomy after finding a lump in my breast and have to have radiotherapy and then Tamoxifen for 5 years....how this will affect my bones I do not know as yet. We have agreed that I cannot have chemotherapy as this strips the bones of calcium.

I can only thank you for all your past advice and hope this will be followed by many others who come to this forum for advice.

Very best wishes and the biggest thank you x

• Posted

I'm glad the supplements appear to have helped your bones, but very sorry you have to deal with a breast cancer diagnosis.  All the very best to you on this new, unfortunate journey.  Please keep in touch. ?🍀

• Posted

I will, I will pm you at some point when things calm down a little. Just goes to show, you start to resove one problem and another hits you before you can begin to ceebrate. I believe it is called "Life"! Hope you are keeping well x

• Posted

A few years ago it occurred to me that once everything was sorted out and there were no more obstacles, well then, it was all over.  I believe you are right.  This is Life.  The bad and the good.  
  • Posted

What does vitamin k do?
    • Posted

There are two kinds of Vitamin K.  One is the one we all know, which aids in blood coagulation.  Babies are given a shot of this at birth.  It's common in the diet, we can get all we need through our leafy greens.  Vitamin K2 is a different kettle of fish.  It's made for us by animals that are grassfed, therefore in modern Western cultures people are usually deficient in it because our animals are now fed grain, and can't make enough K2 any more.  We also make very small quantities in our gut, and can get small amounts from some fermented foods.  The best source is a Japanese fermented soy, called natto, and this is the source for the supplements we can buy.  It's very important because it guides calcium into the bones where it belongs.  So it serves not only a vital role in keeping our bones strong, but helps to avoid some of the problems caused by calcium absorption such as calcium being deposited on blood vessel walls or into organs where it can cause harm.  Vitamin D enables us to absorb calcium, but it can't direct the calcium where we want it.  So Vitamin  D3, K2, and other substances like magnesium and Vitamin A and other things which are generally readily avilable in a healthy diet, all have to work together to keep our bones strong.  The issue with K2 is it's now deficient in the diet of most of us Westerners who eat the industrial food suppled to us.

• Posted

Anhaga, I'm new to this group, recently diagnosed with Osteopenia, I'm looking for a way of treating this that doesn't involve taking Alendronic Acid, the potential side effects scare me rigid and I've always leaned towards supplements and/or alternative therapies.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sue

• Posted

Susan, I have a lttle essay I wrote mainly to keep track of what I was doing.  I've shared it with a number of people, but right now I don't have access to the computer where the document is.  If I can find one of my private messages to someone else I'll try to copy from there and will private message you.

• Posted

Anhaga please can you also send me a copy thank you.
    • Posted

Sure thing.  Please note it's just what I picked up from reading, talking with friends, etc.  I have no medical training.

• Posted

Anhaga, would you mind sharing your essay with me as well?  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!

• Posted

If you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey it will take you to the healthunlocked forum where I posted it.  Cheers!
  • Posted

Does Adcal-D3 cause joint pain
    • Posted

That is not something I would know.  Shouldn't think it would but maybe calcium supplements can do something like that.  Post your question in a new post and I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.