Reversing bone thinning without medication

Posted , 20 users are following.

Several people have posted recently that they have been able to reverse their measured (DXA scan) bone thinning through natural means - nutrition, appropriate supplements and exercise.  It would be terrific if these people could post here some basic information - their t-scores before and after, and just very briefly what they did to help themselves, as well as, perhaps, the attitude of their physicians.

6 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Anhaga

Would you mind posting the exact dosage of C D K supplements you take please. I am currently taking these and always wonder what the best combination should be. I also take Magnesium citrate and fish oil everyday. I am post menopause and a lot of websites are stating that they don't do anything to help rebuild bones, However I like you think differently.

• Posted

I'm sorry, Moonflower, I really can't be responsible for prescribing dosages.  We are all different, we have different diets, etc.  I suggest if you can't get good advice from a health care professional that you ask at a reputable health food store.  The ones where I get my supplements (not available in the regular pharmacies) are all staffed by people who seem to know what they are talking about.  The bottles of supplements will also give a recommended dosage.  

One thing, it's generally believed that calcium from food is better absorbed, and also when supplementing calcium you shouldn't take more than about 400 mg in a single dose, better to take two smaller doses, or even more, than one large dose.

And it is Vitamin K2 which we need.  You'll get plenty of K1 from leafy greens, but K2 is lacking in the average modern diet, unfortunately, and that is the vitamin which directs calcium into the bones.

All the best.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I will definitely look further into this.

Best Regards

• Posted

Hello Anhaga, I like your approach of using vitamins and supplements rather than the prescribed medications to save our old bones! Thanks for taking time to reply to me. I'm going to try the vitamin K2 regime along with Calcium and D3 and see if I can make my honeycombed bones a little denser There is a great website where you can see what the numbers from the DEXA scan look like in graphic detail. By the time we are -3 the inner bone looks more like caves, rather then the honeycombed look of the -1. mind you we must take note that the base line these graphs are done are on young females age 21-29. As I am closer to 80 than 20, I did point this out to my doctor ... jokingly!!! 

I'll go to the health food shop Monday to see what they have. Thanks again for your reply. Freda

• Posted

I think the bone meds are less effective in older people, ironically enough, considering we are the ones usually diagnosed with bone thinning.  If you look at the links I sent you, pay particular attention to the one about combination of micronutrients because it is a description of a study proving that nutrition, including judicious use of a few supplements, and appropriate exercise are as effective as bone meds.  And no side effects except generally improved health!
    • Posted

Everything is probably less effective in older people because, by the time we are much older we are usually in a state of  decline no matter what we do, unfortunately. And not just our bones. It is never too late to eat healthly and to exercise or give up smoking. But if like some of us, you have no room for improvement, the meds can be very effective.
  • Posted

Hi Anhaga I am new to this site and osteoporosis i have several health problems. A deformed foot stops me walking far as it causes me a lot of pain. In October my hip broke and I had to have a replacement

I then got pulmonary embolisms on both lungs. I am on depraxa for life now and have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. No level was mentioned on the papers from the scan. I started with the meds from the docs and quickly realised the side effects and stopped them

I seeing him this week for a reassessment. I want to do the natural route but am concerned about K2 due to the blood clots. Any advice would be welcome.

• Posted

To the best of my knowledge, and I am not medically trained, you would need to be careful with Vitamin K, both K1 and, to a lesser extent, K2, if you are on a warfarin type bloodthinner.  But there is a new generation of bloodthinners, and if you are on one of those I don't think there is the same issue with Vitamin K. As far as my Dr Google is concerned, Deprax in an antidepressant and Depraxa not a medication.   Your doctor or pharmacist are the right people to ask.  However there is a bit of Vitamin K2 in some foods, and we also make a small amount naturally in our gut.  The only reason we like to supplement is because the modern diet is deficient in K2 (not K1, that's in the leafy greens). Magnesium is also important for absorbing calcium so maybe a little extra of that will help, even through a skin spray or a soak in a bath, or footbath, with Epsom salts; you don't need to take a capsule.

Are you able to exercise in water?  I had always thought that this didn't really help bone density but apparently it does, a bit indirectly, because it helps muscles to become stronger. When the muscles are stronger they pull more strongly on the bones, and this in turn strengthens the bones.  I also wonder if you can visit a physiotherapist who could give you some pointers both to help you avoid movements which could cause injury, and exercises which are possible for you which will encourage bones to become stronger.

All the best.  Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Did you mean Pradaxa?  That is, apparently, a new generation blood thinner.  Check with your pharmacist or doctor before taking any supplements of K2, however.  Some bone supplements contain small doses of K2 and that might be a better bet for you, at least for now, than a larger supplement.  
    • Posted

Thank you yes I do mean pradaxa the new generation of blood thinners. I am also on anti acid tablets and so depleted of magnesium. I also have had Candida for 55 years and took antibiotics for thrush for 25 years. So now I have started on yeast raiders fish oils and magnesium. I am weaning myself off the esomeprazole I will see the doctor this week and ask for a physio referral and ask the pharmacist about k2. I will introduce calcium and d3 After the yeast raiders. In your opinion is this the correct way to go and is there any other advice you can offer.
    • Posted

I also forgot to mention I have been on ramipril for 7 years for slightly raised blood pressure. I have now added flax seed to my food and this has so far lowered the blood pressure. I check my blood pressure throughout the day to ensure it is ok. I have been referred for a reconstruction for the foot deformity.
    • Posted

I don't know the answers to your questions.  But I will add - do you take any fermented foods?  You may over time be able to restore gut microbes which must have been upset by the antibiotics.  Kefir, for example, has many more strains of .helpful bacteria than yoghurt.  There are many different kinds of fermented vegetables beyond the classic sauerkraut.  Also a fermented tea with name beginning with k.  A work of caution - if you are not used to these foods introduce them very slowly.  A few ounces of kefir or the tea beginning with k, a spoonful of kimchi or kraut.  Your gut needs ot get used to the new inhabitants.  

Be aware that a lot of people still don't know about Vitamin K2.  My daughter, a registered dietitian, didn't know until I told her about it, and was very interested to learn about it.  My pharmacy doesn't sell it, I have to buy it from a health food store!  There's a very good article about K2 on the internet.  Google authority nutrition K2.

• Posted

Thank you. I will try to introduce kefir and the tea slowly after the yeast raiders has finished
    • Posted

I think the benefit of the foods is the large number of different strains of beneficial bacteria, far more than we can get from any supplement, so hopefully you'll find them helpful, building on the supplement.   

Right now my husband is on a second round of antibiotics, the first not having worked, to deal with a lung infection.  I make sure that he gets various kinds of fermented foods between the doses of antibiotics because there is a possibility of developing C. diff from the antibiotic treatment.  I read up on it, and apparently it is worthwhile doing this, because you repopulate the gut with good guys between the antibiotic doses, even if they get wiped out every few hours they are still doing some good while they are there, and and that keeps any resistant bad guys in check.  

• Posted

Hi, I'm a 37 year old male.  Last year, my t-score was at -2.3 and had gotten worse from the previous year.  My doctor wanted to start me on medication, but I didn't want to take without first trying more natural things through diet and exercise.  I've always had lower to deficient vitamin D - as reported each year during the blood work from my annual physical.  For my follow up this year, my doctor was shocked - I went from a t-score of -2.3 to -0.2.  I was hoping the bone density would improve or at least, not get worse.  I was pretty surprised myself, and very happy!  So glad I didn't take unneeded medication and tried other ways.  For starters, over the past year, I've been taking a vitamin D and K2 supplement every morning to help with calcium absorption.  I also try to make a fruit smoothie every day: fresh fruit, yogurt and milk (more natural calcium).  I had also been doing some weight lifting earlier in the year for a few months, but haven't being doing much recently.  Something worked, I really think it's the increase in D and K2 along with a diet focused on calcium.   I had also looked into calcium supplements and decided not to take these based on my research and also my doctor did not recommend calcium supplements either - instead, getting calcium naturally through foods.  Glad to share more info if anyone would like, thanks. 

• Posted

That's great!  You were very wise not to start medication at such a young age, and it looks like it's paid off.  confused

• Posted

That is amazing to read. Thank you so much for posting. I have just been diagnoised and you have given me hope. Hope you and your bones are still good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.