Reviews for Omeprazole (Prilosec)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Any Prilosec users out there? How does it work for you? What's the best acid reducer you've used?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

prilosec is actually omeperzole, it did work for some time for me . But no more now. Also i'm not sure long term use of PPI impacts gallbladder or not , as after taking 2 years i found my gallbladder was not working through hida scan.it can be due to PPI or may be totally a different issue.If you dont have gastritis, but just acide ,best to go for ranitidine (zantac).

• Posted

I have been taking 40mg omeprazole daily for many years now.  Yes, it immediately helped my GERD problem.  So far, I have had no apparent ill effects......that I know about.  However, be aware, effects of long term use of PPI's is being questioned at this time.  I have also heard that you must be slowly weaned from use if you decide to stop.  Yes it works, but still undecided if there is a cost.

• Posted

Define long term use. Are you talking months or years? I was told by a doctor that I need to take it for 3 months. 
    • Posted

I was on 40mg for over 10 yrs and it took moths to get off without the acid backlash.  I had to go back on 20 mg recently, because it was so bad. Will try to eliminate again at a slower pace.  It is known for causing osteoporosis, which I do now have.  Whether or not it's from taking the O, I'll never know.

• Posted

I would not think three months is long term use.  After an endoscopy for a GERD problem, my doctor told me I would likely be on the omeprazole for the rest of my life.  BTW, you can help things along by changing your diet, and for that matter your life style.  Easier said than done, but if you have mild symptoms diet alone can often get you off the PPI's.

• Posted

I had a few months relatively free from any issues. I thought I had gotten better but recently had a very bad acid flare up. I had to go back on the Omeprazole. Today I felt very tired and experienced some brain fog. It was difficult to focus at work. Don't know if this is a side effect. 

• Posted

Today I was very tired and had brain fog. It was difficult to focus at work. Don't know if these are side effects of omeprazole. You are right, diet and lifestyle changes go a long way in fixing these problems. I have made changes such as cut out alcohol (I wasn't a big drinker to begin with), reduce meal sizes so I don't feel bloated and get indigestion, eat small meals more frequently throughout the day so my stomach is not empty for long periods, cut down on junk food, eat more yoghurt etc. Actually I had a good few months with minimal issues. Thought the condition was getting better but just 3 days ago had a very bad flare up. Was nauseous for 4 hours straight so I had to go back on the meds. I am hoping not to have to use meds for more than 3 months and that I can manage this condition with diet alone. 

• Posted

I have never had any issues, like brain fog, over the years I've been taking omeprazole (guessing around seven years).  But I'm not sure of the effects it may be having on my GI tract.  I think you're doing the right thing by altering your normal dietary intake.  GERD diets are all over the internet.  I would add that some of the most common culprits are coffee and tea.  But don't forget chocolate, spicy foods, citrus juices, fatty foods, tomatoes or carbonated drinks.  Anything that increases stomach acid is your enemy, and that would include major contributors like NSAIDS (ibuprofen and aspirin for example).  Also try to avoid lying prone shortly after eating anything, which makes it easier for acid gasses to sneak back up the esophagus.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.