Reviews on Symfony Toric lens for cataract surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all, I am scheduled for a cataract surgery in both my right and left eye and am very young (17 years old). I am very nervous about the type of lens going into my eye due to the possible need for reading glasses at such a young age. Each lens my eye doctor explained to me there may be complications with distance or reading. I was curious about the outcomes any one had based on the Symfony Toric lens.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Casey, you are very young to be having cataract surgery.  

What country are you in, are you in the UK?

• Posted

Hi Casey. I'm in the US too and I'm 50. I don't have cataracts but have narrow angle glaucoma and he wants to replace my lenses with the tecnis symphony lense because of my astigmatism to  correct my narrow angle.I'm really worried though reading through these forums about glare, and Not being able to see At night etc. the doctor just assumed I wanted that lense which was only approved by the FDA around 2013. I don't know what to do either and I'm l leaning toward monofocal with corrected distance vision. Would love if more would advise about their experience with the topic lense. 

• Posted

Hi Casey

I have to admit I know nothing about types of lens, the Optician told me I had cataracts and referred me to the GP who then referred me to a Consultant at the hospital, nothing was ever mentioned about types of lens, they simply did the op and sent me home.

Having to be going through such an op is so awful at one so young, first of all the Consutlants must be able to advise on which option to take, I dont think anyone on this site would be able to advise you, if you can get fitted with lens that will cover both long and short sight vision, that will be perfect and surely the Surgeon will know, but if you have to choose then long sight would be best so you dont need to have glasses for driving and if you have to have glasses for reading that would be best, but we all have our fingers crossed that they will fit lens that will do both.  You could ask if you can wear contact lens for reading again I dont know if you would have to remove them to drive, They told me before my op that there could be complications, they have to say that to cover themselves but you are young and will come through with flying colours, you didnt say why you were having to have both eyes done, do they both have cataracts and is that the only problem with your eyes.  Please let us all know what they say and further how you are after the op, are you have an op soon

Kindest regards and best wishes, Agnes

• Posted

Hi Agnes, this was why I asked what country Casey was in because I believe there is limited availability of Symfony lenses in the UK, though I read that they now use them in Private clinics.

I, too had my eyes done & my Consultants decided what lenses I would be given.

• Posted

Hi Mrs Mop

I was so happy to hear that it wasnt discussed with you about types of lens, they also told me there could be complications and I had to sign a form or they wouldnt have operated, fortunately there wasnt much of a problem, I can see fine to drive but have to wear glasses to read small print, but I did anyway before my ops, most of the people on this site were told about lens and I find that really strange because they do all the tests on your eyes and they have the relevant information they should then know exactly what would be the best to put into your eyes, obviously everyone would like to have lens inserted that would cover both driving and reading vision but only the consultants would know from whatever test and information they had about you, did you have both your eyes done and is your sight ok, would love to hear

Regards

Agnes

• Posted

Hi Agnes, 

I have now had both of my eyes done, with 30 years in between!  They were both steroid induced.  

My latest eye is absolutely briliant & my new lens gives me similar sight to my natural lens, which was removed.  I have no problems with that eye.

Where people talk about the type of lens implant that they are going to have, or have had, they tend to be in the US or other countries where they don't have the same sort of Health Service as we do.

I wore specs anyway & when they did my implant, the new lens is so similar to the one they removed, I can carry on wearing my current specs.

• Posted

Hi - I live in Canada which I believe is somewhat similar to U.K. We have Medicare and cataract surgery and monofocal lens would be completed covered . No out of pocket expense to patient. However there are other lenses which are not completely covered. We would have an out of pocket expense expense of the lens price we choose minus cost of monofocal lens covered by Medicare which would be somewhere in the vaciniry of $1,000 per eye.
    • Posted

So in UK do you have to choose either private or public health for cataract surgery. If public no lens options are even discussed or do they assume if you are doing under public health you wouldn't be willing to pay for a different lens? Or if you go private is the surgery and the lens at the expense of patient? In Canada cataract surgery is covered regardless of your lens selection. We pay only if we want a different lens other than monofocals.

• Posted

Hi Sue, in the UK, we pay for our Health Service in our taxes.  We can also take out Private Health Insurance too if we want to, or just pay to go Privately each time we need a procedure.

When I Googled  Symfony lenses, I found that it only appears relatively recently that they have become available privately, rather than on the NHS [National Health Service]. 2014/15 

When I had my cataract done recently, they did tell me the type of lens that they were using & also told me the type of lens I had had implanted in 1992 but really, there isn't any choice for the patient.  There could be a difference between hospitals in different areas,I haven't looked into it.  Each area has a budget to work to.

• Posted

I see. We pay for Medicare in our taxes too. You can get services and extra by paying for private
    • Posted

We can do one or the other but not mix them
    • Posted

Mrsmop

I think we can go to a private dr for an opinion which willbe sent to NHS dr for refrral back into the NHS.

• Posted

USA seems to be similar to Canada in that Medicare (a government program for people over 65 years old) and even most of the private insurance plans cover all the cost for the cataract surgery and the installation of a monofocal (non-toric) lens (except for a deductible, typically 20%). The doctors and hospitals accept the amount of that payment, even though they usually send out a bigger bill.

For any other premium lens (which is anything other than a non-toric monofocal lens), they have a pre-set cost for that lens (which includes extra payment to the surgeon, hospital, and lens manufacturer) above what the medicare or another plan will cover for the simple monofocal lens. They will still get the same payment from the medicare or a typical private insurance program, as for a simple monofocal lens: you just pay  an extra pre-set cost for the premium lens.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I thought I'd respond since I've just had one eye done. The NHS in the UK only supply monofocal lenses at the moment, unless there is a medical need for anything else.

You do get the choice to determine the strength of implants, my consultant discussed with me the various options which were, a) same strength as my normal lenses meaning I could use my existing glasses b) set both eyes for distance or c) set the dominant eye for distance and the other for near/intermediate. (Sorry there was also an option to just get one eye done but then I will have to wear a contact lens in the other since my myopia is too high to allow me to wear glasses).

There are a few NHS trusts that allow patients to select a premium lens and pay the difference but not many of them allow this, including mine.

I'm still deciding what to do, stay with the NHS or go private for a premium lens. I could postpone the second surgery as I'm finding I can tolerate using a contact lens in my left eye, which I was surprised at because I never could when I tried them in the past.

It's a real shame a 17 year old has to go through this and I wish him all the best in the future.

• Posted

Thankful Canada's Medicare system pay for the entire cost no matter your age. You pay out of pocket if you want a different lens.

• Posted

Agree James - someone age 17 should never have to face this. I am 53 and having hard time. Canada's Medicare system pay for surgery and monofocal lens only if you fail the vision test for drivers' license. Otherwise patient pays for entire cost. Medicare will cover my surgery and monofocal lenses however I am considering paying difference for Symfony lenses however trying to decide if I would be able to accept less than optimal night vision (if it were to happen to me). Wish I had a crystal ball.

• Posted

I don't drive and Medicare in Ontario will pay for basic lenses and surgery. I doubt you have to fail a driver's test to qualify in any part of Canada. I may be misreading you, though!

• Posted

I live in Canada too so same coverage - basic lens and surgery covered. If I want a premium lens I would pay for that lens minus cost of stanadard monofocal lens (valued at $300). That difference is paid to the hospital. And yes for Medicare to cover your cataracts have to impede your vision. If vision can still be corrected with glasses Medicare won't cover. My eyes are 20/70 in right and 20/60 in left with glasses so Medicare is going to cover.

Does anyone know if there are any other additional costs that are out of pocket for patient if I paid for premium lenses in Canada?

• Posted

I am 20/40 with my glasses and moderate cataracts. I turned down surgery last year but going ahead now. The other cost I will have in Ontario is the extra measuring / testing which is necessary for a toric lense. (The government site says it isn't necessary though.) Basic testing, lenses, surgery and care are free In Ontario, Canada.

• Posted

When is your surgery? I am so nervous. Still waffling back and forth between standard lens covered by Medicare or Symfony lens. Do you know if there are other charges aside from paying for premium lens? I am wondering if they get the power a bit off or the surgery itself causes astigmatism or I need YAG done if those aren't covered expenses too in Canada.

• Posted

My surgery is not scheduled yet. As you know, there is a waitlist.

As I mentioned, there is a cost for extra measuring.

My sister (also lives in this province) paid for the extra testing, and the upgraded lenses. One is a toric.

• Posted

Thanks Frances. I live in NB. We pay the hospital for the extra costs of premium lens. Just didn't know about after care should the need arise for tweaking the power etc is needed.

I have to make up my mind soon - surgery 3 weeks away

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.