Reviews on Symfony Toric lens for cataract surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all, I am scheduled for a cataract surgery in both my right and left eye and am very young (17 years old). I am very nervous about the type of lens going into my eye due to the possible need for reading glasses at such a young age. Each lens my eye doctor explained to me there may be complications with distance or reading. I was curious about the outcomes any one had based on the Symfony Toric lens.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Very Sorry to learn that you have to have cataract surgery at such a young age.

1. I have a Symfony Toric lens in my right eye for distance and a monofocal lens in my left eye for close-up. With this combination, I have good day vision at all distances beyond 16 inches. However, I wish that my night vision were better, the main issue being the seeing of multiple concentric circles or halos around lights at night time. Many other people seem to have had the same issue. Rather than repeating the details here, I will encourage you to read my post, “Has Any One Else Had This Very Unusual Vision Issue with Symfony Lens?” on this forum. You should be able to find it by clicking on my name and then looking under “Discussion”.

2. Based on what I know now,  I would suggest using a combination of a symfony lens and a monofocal lens like I do, but in a different set up. (for my surgery, I knew less and also did not have that option because of first eye having been done 20 years back). My suggestion will be to start with having a monofocal lens set for distance in your dominant eye. That will provide you with a good vision for driving at night. If that turns out to be as planned, then have the Symfony lens in your non-dominant eye set for about 32-40 inches range, which will give you the capabilty of reading as well as overall good vision at all distances with both eyes. You should not have the night vision problem of haveing multiple concentric circles around lights in the distance with this combination.

This is a unusual combination of lenses which the surgeons don't usually suggest. But, you may want tt talk it over with your surgeon.

• Posted

It has been one week since my right eye has been done.  I have had very much complications with the Symfony Toric lens.  I just went back to speak to my doctor about my blurred vision and very poor reading abilitys, as well as glare at night.  He took a look at my eye and said he will need to go back in to adjust my lens. Apparently it is supposed to be at a 90 degree angle or so and mine moved to 65 degrees. Supposly this is very rare to do and 99% of people do not need to get it altered. I have my next eye schuedled for tomorrow, hope all goes well. 
    • Posted

Sorry to learn that your Symfony Toric lens is not providing you good vision because the lens has rotated from its desired position in the eye.

Actually such a lens rotation is common, although the amount of your lens rotation is higher than average. My Symfony Toric lens has also rotated from the installed position of 25 deg to about 7 deg. My surgeon gave me the choice of re-positionig the lens or just correcting the resulting astigmatism with LASIK. I chose to have the eye corrected with LASIK because I felt that the lens could rotate again after re-positioning (there is nothing which stops it from doing that) and I just did not want to keep doing it. Also, LASIK took care of any other error in the lens prescription.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.