Revision knee replacement

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am now just over 3 weeks post op after my knee revision I now know that when they took out the old knee I had to have bone cut away as there were holes and fluid in my bones and that my bones were very soft. I was given a smiles knee and had rods put in. I am still an emotional wreck having still not had more than 3 hours sleep a night. My pain is in my calf shin and thigh, I have no energy and feel like I am not coping at all. I am taking codeine regularly and it does help for a. While. Can anyone tell me when it starts to get easier ? I am doing my exercises and putting ice on it. Yet it doesn't seem to be getting an easier. Is it normal I'm still on crutches and in so much pain ? 

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Diane it will take time Hun depending on your weight mine is very very heavy and I have been told it will take up to a year but I was off the crutches about six weeks hope you recovery soon

• Posted

It took five months for me to come of my painkillers but that is because of my weight and I was naughty did not stick to my exercises if you have any more questions I will kindly talk to you tomorrow take care for now 
  • Posted

You are in such early stages it seems almost unbearable. So much healing in so many areas....bone, soft tissue etc. The bruising and bone in the lower e tremities is caused by the tourniquet used to slow bleeding. As we have discussed so often on this forum, surgeons operate and move on leaving us, the patients to discover this on our own without help. You are close to a point of seeing improvement. Things start changing after the 3 week Mark but the thing to do is not measure progress on a short ten basis. 3 month, 6 months and so on. To quote so many, this is a marathon not a sprint. Depression and a muddled mental state is part of it but that also passes. Cry if you feel like or scream but don't hold it inside. Everyone on here is so helpful and kind. They will answer every question or concern without judge.ent. pour your heart out any time day or night. Someone on here is awake and going. I've had 5 complete openings of the joint and 3 seperate prothesis so I can and will offer a tidbit now and then. Hang in there

• Posted

Thank you, I really hope Things do start to improve I was so good with the recovery of my first knee replacement and yet this time I feel out of control and not coping it's very scary.
    • Posted

Oldfatguy1,

just a note to say how glad I am to see you’re still actively giving advice and sharing experience. After 2 years of pain following my BTKR, I’m looking at a revision on my right knee and just dreading having to go thru this again. Hope life has been kind to you during this time and your knees have finally healed. We recently relocated from Pennsylvania to Florida so at least it will be warmer this winter.

• Posted

Surprised to hear from you . Sorry to hear you're fa c ed with the revision. Unfortunately it's not any more of a joyride than the original. Hope you enjoy the beautiful sunshine and water of Fl.

Things have been on a bit of a downhill trend here. My wife's Parkinson has worsened. Right now she is in an acute rehab unit due to a downturn a week ago. I'm afraid her time at home is running out and assisted living isn't far behind. As ch or me, I've picked her up off the floor after Parkinson's related falls too many times and hurt my back. I'm now facing back surgery due too severe stenosis in 4 vertebra. Just another bump in the road.

I forgot to ask what caused the knee to play out. Seems like revisions are becoming not frequent. Hope they can put it off till after the holidays.

• Posted

So sorry to hear your wife’s condition has not improved and your back is now troubling you. This getting old stinks. I had a LTHR last year, shoulder surgery last month and have bad vertebrae in the back and neck. My right knee has hurt since it was done 2 tears ago. My new OS did X-rays to rule out the right hip and spine. I’m scheduled now for a nuclear bone scan and blood tests to check for loosening and infection. We’re booked for a 25th anniversary trip to Europe in early May so I’m not sure what outcome to hope for. Fingers crossed for your back and for your wife.
    • Posted

Thank you and I c e certainly hope your trip goes as planned next year. 10 years ago this coming may we spent our 50th in Switzerland. If we ma k e it to may 2018 well more than likely have our 60th anniversary in an assisted living facility.
  • Posted

Hi Diane, I used a walker for the first couple months then moved to a cane I think walker is so much easier than crutches plus then your walking on the TKR. But your talk to your doc before switching. you should talk to your GP about your sleep and if you have any depression before it get to bad the GP will be every helpful. Your only 3 weeks out it will get better trust me but you got to keep up you excrises, it hurts but keep it your doing great!!! This web site is great for their support.
  • Posted

Wow, I was still on OxyContin at 3 weeks, maybe you need to get the pain under control then things will be a bit easier, you can't do exercises etc if you are in agony.

good luck...

• Posted

Yes for some this is normal - it will get easier and for most the turning point is between six to ten weeks. But it is a slow process and a major op . The pain will become more of a soreness or discomfort over time . Just carry on doing the ice. Rest elevation and Physio . Keep taking the painkillers regularly, drink water eat sensibly and focus on coping and developing a determination you will look after yourself until the healing process becomes easier to tolerate. I am six months post op but clearly remember the 3 week point. Very tough but is fading as each week and now each month I feel a bit stronger and even now am still healing, once you start sleeping that helps a lot. For now hang on in there and take one day at a time.
    • Posted

yes and going up and down steps - up is easier. I keep a stick in the care but havent used it for many weeks now. I have started going to the gym. I had a limp and my physio advised me to keep using the crutches or stick until I was walking without a limp which was a pain in the neck but well worth it. I wear good quality trainers in the house and for walks and supportive shoes and finf footwear really helps with walking. I am only taking one ibrofrufen a day and my painkillers - well i ran out and ordered a repeat but havent collected it! Like to have some on 'standby'

Good luck - staying positive is hard when you are in pain and exhausted. Sometimes it feels as if you are going backwards and each day brings something new - my scar is still tender but other than that my knee looks and feels almost 'normal' and can do anything a normal knee can do - but is not as strong as it could be - i used to be a great swimmer and now I kick and hardly move but am slowly improving! Long haul for you - stay on here I have found it such a help especially in the early hours.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story with me it helps a lot, I don't feel so alone 

with this. Hope things improve more for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.