Revision knee replacement

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am now just over 3 weeks post op after my knee revision I now know that when they took out the old knee I had to have bone cut away as there were holes and fluid in my bones and that my bones were very soft. I was given a smiles knee and had rods put in. I am still an emotional wreck having still not had more than 3 hours sleep a night. My pain is in my calf shin and thigh, I have no energy and feel like I am not coping at all. I am taking codeine regularly and it does help for a. While. Can anyone tell me when it starts to get easier ? I am doing my exercises and putting ice on it. Yet it doesn't seem to be getting an easier. Is it normal I'm still on crutches and in so much pain ? 

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I've just had second pkr done a week ago, , obviously still in lot of pain , I think may be and as kirk says speak to your doctor, sounds like he might be able to help , I have been on antidepressants since not long before all this nightmare started, maybe you could do with a little help in that area, I certainly couldn't cope otherwise, I still cry a lot with the pain lack of sleep and frustration, but that and the pain meds helps a bit, I now with the first one I never again thought I'd be able to lite my leg off the bed, then all of a sudden the flags went up and I could, then it was a case of move on to the next hurdle, and that's what it seemed to be, a long line of hurdles, but each one is progress so all good. But it is very hard work, . At the moment I'm off my food, off to doctors today, as it looks like I've proberly got a water infection just to help things along,lol there's always something, it's very normal to feel the way you do , we all relate to you on that. Best of luck, we are all here for you.😀👍
    • Posted

Thank you it's good to hear I'm not alone in this. Wishing you a speedy recovery 
  • Posted

Hi Diane,

I think we can all relate to what you have said,im 4 weeks post op now and yesterday while on my bed doing the exercises,i just burst into tears and yes it was good to cry,it releases all our stress,worries and anger. As everyone has said its still very early days,im still taking my pain meds,and using my stick,its very much my security blanket right now..we are here day and night,for me especially night,as i cant sleep either,2 hours in bed then i have to get up..chin up,your doing great xx

• Posted

It's so nice to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm just a emotional wreck and that's not me normally. Wishing you a speedy recovery 
  • Posted

hi i had revision 11mths ago and i too had rods put in as the surgeon likes to do this in revisions ,i feel that because of rods it will take a little longer to heal when you have your visit to surgeon (we have this 6wks post op)you will get xray and its when you see xray that you see what i call scaffolding in your leg so its not only the knee to heal its so much more ,your pain meds need looking at and anti inflamatorys are a must ,the last time you had tkr you only had the knee in so this is so much more ,why did you have revision ? mine was because my knee failed
    • Posted

I had my first knee replacement when I was 29 due to arthritis and it was never right. My right knee started causing problems I had a cartilage transplant but unfortunately I was in the 3 percent that failed. I went on to have my right knee replaced just over 2 years ago and then I fought to get them to do something to my left knee but after 13 years they decided it was loosing and the spacer had worn out so they then performed the revision replacement 3 weeks ago.
  • Posted

you poor thing Diane i do feel for you, i have to say you are a very brave Girl, i know i could not go down that road again i will put up with the pain , stiffness and fluid. ask your Doctor for a few sleeping tablets to get you to sleep. it is normal to have pain after only 3 weeks, try and get plenty of rest during the day and take it easy. let me know how you are getting on.
    • Posted

Thank you I don't feel brave now. If I had known how hard it was going to be I don't know what I would of done,but my life before wasn't very good and I couldn't walk much so I didn't really have a choice 
    • Posted

90% of the people out here feel the same way...the other10 were in such bad shape they would have done anything short of amputation to get help. Its so painfully slow. You can f÷l up one day and it grabs you the next and pounds you good, but the joy is, when 6 months or whatever it takes, is up, you'll look back a 2nd feel blessed. Just stay steady, no need to try to make it happen all at once. There will be that sudden feeling one day that it just doesn't hurt quite so bad and I can bend it a little better. Do whatever you can to get some rest, hydrate like you never drank water before then rest son more. Stay with the good people here. They will encourage you more than any medical tesm
  • Posted

Diane I'm at 3 weeks with a primary replacement - My thigh and calf are still swollen and tender - much of this is from the tourniquet placed on your thigh to limit bleeding during the surgery, and it should subside in another week or 2.  A revision knee is nothing to mess with.  Follow the protocol you are given and protect your knee from jolting while you are healing.  Sleep was a problem for me until I started 1 oxycoton just before bed. I would elevate my knee and wake up in the same position 6 hours later feeling good.....What you are experiencing is normal for knee replacement surgery......
  • Posted

all the advice you can take to heart we have been there and you will also arive it takes time and that is not what you want to hear lol me too i thought like apendicites was back at work 7 days so what can be worse and this is i am a 61 year male with both knees to be done and the first one is now 12 weeks post op and had the willys after the op and no pain management to speak of good physio and ice rest meds like premarin and if it hurts stop doing it and carry on in your own time,I am know at full rom but are still on the crutches because of next knee are totaled and will b e done in january the 2nd ,see if i am going to do no 2 it shows that it is absolutly a new begining.So hang in there we will also and shed a tear and a scream so often just to let the world know it is damn sore lots of love and sympathy danie61
  • Posted

Good luck Diane. I'm at a bit over 6 weeks and still in a lot of discomfort and pain. It will improve but it is SLOW and some days seem agony BUT keep going with exercising, icing and resting and you will get there slowly. Oldfatguy1 is a font of knowledge and an all round nice guy. So is everyone else on here. It's a place to blow of steam, cry on our collective shoulders and seek advice or just to share experiences. I find it an invaluable place to come. I wish you well Diane - none of us have had it easy, I don't think, but we will all, I'm sure, come out the other side better for having discovered this forum!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.