REZUM 3 months after

Posted , 10 users are following.

So I'm now 3 months out from 5 injections for median lobe. 1 in the lobe and two on each side of my prostate (no clue why because my prostate was 31)

Anyway I have posted numerous times from day one regarding recovery, pain of the procedure, etc.

At 6 weeks I had a nice flow at least 50% better. Fully emptying, get up at night maybe once. Rare urgency. Almost to the day it all changed like something clogged me up. My flow is about 20% better than pre surgery. I haven't been tested a second time but when I am I suspect PVR will be much higher than the 6 week checkup. I kept hoping I'd urinate out a blockage but I haven't.

I was able to sit through an almost 3 hour movie twice before 6 weeks. Last movie I saw (last week) I had to get up twice - just like the old days. I get up at least twice a night and frequently go several times in a row to fully empty. Even though each time I feel empty. Starting isn't as bad as before but is markedly tougher than before the 6 week mark.

I'd say based on everything (pain of the procedure, difficult recovery, benefits 3 months out) I would NOT do it knowing what I know now and I would not recommend it to anyone. Just seems like a big waste of time. Too much luck of the draw involved as to whether it works. My Urologist has done hundreds so experience shouldn't have been a factor.

Since I'm a little better hopefully it buys me time for the next thing. Maybe the aquaablation once that is covered by insurance. If you are considering REZUM my input is think long and hard.

No need for anyone to get on me about how good REZUM works for them. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying if someone asks me, I'd say look at something else. I think the sales pitch doesn't live up to the results.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I both appreciate and sympathize with all the responses here. As someone who had a Urolift in Oct. 2019 and received minimal benefit, I'm learning a lot about Rezum here, which is something my urologist mentioned as a possible next step (since the meds don't do me any good).

As it happens I'm leaving in an hour for a cystoscopy to see what's what in there. Always a fun time. Maybe that will help my decision-making. My hospital group (Kaiser) does offer Rezum but not Aquablation (and likely won't until it becomes very mainstream.... er, pardon the pun), and I don't think I'm a candidate for PAE.

Please, those of you who've had the Rezum, do keep posting about your progress or lack thereof!

Thanks.

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.