Rezum

Posted , 13 users are following.

have anyone experienced rezum treatment for BPH? I would like to get some idea. I have read a lot of TURP, it makes me feel uncomfortable. I want to get info from those who experiences it.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

i was a TURP candidate and my Urologist dis not feel REZUM was a good option. i elected to have him do GREENLIGHT and it worked great, quicker recovery than failed UROLiFT and no side effects!

• Posted

have you had experienced side effects from the procedure. it says retrograde ejaculation is less likely?

• Posted

If your median lobe is not the problem area and they do a bladder neck sparing GL procedure you should not have R.E.

• Posted

My flow was not as good as expected but I was emptying with minimal retention. I didn't ask but others who have had the bladder neck sparing procedure have said the same.

• Posted

In GreenLight laser prostate surgery, a high–powered laser destroys surplus prostate tissue without harming other healthy tissue. In this way, an enlarged prostate that is blocking the bladder can be opened up. The laser vaporises excess tissue using safe and precise energy pulses. Blood vessels in the target area are also vaporised, which means there is very little bleeding.

• Posted

I had Rezum 2 1/2 months ago. Had GA and no pain. Had a Foley in afterwards for three weeks. Had it removed after two unsuccessful attempts. Stopped the Flowmax about a week ago and am peeing pretty good. My condition of AUR has certainly improved but it's still too early to declare success or failure. Many stories of value within this format. Everyone has a different experience depending on many varying factors to include prostrate size, shape, median lobe condition, medical history, age, weight, health, etc. Best of luck in your decision. Research the Rezum topic in this format for additional details.

• Posted

I had it done in Dec and it helped, but I did end up with RE. I'm now off Flowmax which I didn't like. The RE doesn't bother me though. I would do it again. I just hope it lasts.

• Posted

Why start a new thread on Rezum? Check out the following thread that has been around for 3 years:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/rezum-have-you-had-this-done--499675

You will find lots of information on this thread.

I had a Rezum done on November 29, 2018 after over 10 months of catheters due to AUR from severe BPH. My Rezum was successful. The blockage is now gone and I have no RE. It takes about 4 weeks to first open up and by 8 weeks, I was well opened.

Why should you do a more invasive procedure (TURP), with known high rate of complications and a high morbidity when you can do a minimally invasive procedure (Rezum) first with a much lower rate of complications and a lower morbidity and see if it works?

Just choose your urologist carefully, meaning one that has been doing Rezums for a few years now.

Good luck.

• Posted

I had it done 3 years ago and am happy with the results. It was a godsend for me. Ended up with partial RE. Still worth it.

• Posted

Just had the rezum procedure this morning. My primary reason for choosing rezum was because its billed as one of the least invasive of the BPH treatments (besides drugs), and I was worried about the sexual side effects of more invasive treatments. If this doesn't work, I can always schedule a green light laser, or TURP-type procedure in the future. While I can't vouch for the final result yet, I can give you the play-by-play since its VERY fresh in my mind.

First off, my Cardura prescription was increased for a month before the procedure. I assume this was to ensure the prostate muscules were relaxed. I also took 1300mg of Tylenol about an hour before. I was told they can do rezum under twilight or local anesthesia, but my Dr said that I had a 30% chance of going home without a catheter if I did the procedure awake, but a 100% chance if we did it under general or twilight. I wanted to avoid a catheter at all costs, so I took my chances and did it awake.

They performed the prostate block about 5 minutes before the procedure. It was uncomfortable, but not horrible. The rezum procedure itself involved 9 second bursts of steam from a cystoscope to the interior of the prostate. I believe I had about 8 of them, with some of the bursts being a bit more intense than others.. The machine beeps every second, so I'd count down the beeps knowing when each burst would end. That made it easier to get through. I'd put the pain/discomfort at about a 5 out of 10 for me, but your mileage my vary.. They must have injected water into my bladder during the procedure, because they had me void into a bottle to see if they needed to catheterize me or not.. Luckily, I voided enough to return home without a catheter.

I've been home for about 7 hours. It does sting a bit when I start urinating, and I'm still seeing some blood and small clots passing through, but I'll take it over wearing a catherter anyday. I am taking 600mg of Motrin 3x day, and am also taking Uribel every 6 hours (as needed) to make urination less painful. I'm drinking lots of water to clean out my system but am able to sit for about an hour without heading to the can..

Having just been through the whole decision process, I feel for what you're going through making this decision. Good luck, and let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

• Posted

I your having problems reading jack15640's post, like I did, I copied and pasted it here:

" Just had the rezum procedure this morning. My primary reason for choosing rezum was because its billed as one of the least invasive of the BPH treatments (besides drugs), and I was worried about the sexual side effects of more invasive treatments. If this doesn't work, I can always schedule a green light laser, or TURP-type procedure in the future. While I can't vouch for the final result yet, I can give you the play-by-play since its VERY fresh in my mind.

First off, my Cardura prescription was increased for a month before the procedure. I assume this was to ensure the prostate muscules were relaxed. I also took 1300mg of Tylenol about an hour before. I was told they can do rezum under twilight or local anesthesia, but my Dr said that I had a 30% chance of going home without a catheter if I did the procedure awake, but a 100% chance if we did it under general or twilight. I wanted to avoid a catheter at all costs, so I took my chances and did it awake.

They performed the prostate block about 5 minutes before the procedure. It was uncomfortable, but not horrible. The rezum procedure itself involved 9 second bursts of steam from a cystoscope to the interior of the prostate. I believe I had about 8 of them, with some of the bursts being a bit more intense than others.. The machine beeps every second, so I'd count down the beeps knowing when each burst would end. That made it easier to get through. I'd put the pain/discomfort at about a 5 out of 10 for me, but your mileage my vary.. They must have injected water into my bladder during the procedure, because they had me void into a bottle to see if they needed to catheterize me or not.. Luckily, I voided enough to return home without a catheter.

I've been home for about 7 hours. It does sting a bit when I start urinating, and I'm still seeing some blood and small clots passing through, but I'll take it over wearing a catherter anyday. I am taking 600mg of Motrin 3x day, and am also taking Uribel every 6 hours (as needed) to make urination less painful. I'm drinking lots of water to clean out my system but am able to sit for about an hour without heading to the can..

Having just been through the whole decision process, I feel for what you're going through making this decision. Good luck, and let me know if there's anything else I can help with. "

Thomas

• Posted

thanks for the cut and paste.

• Posted

Thanks thomas.. I used my safari browser for the post. Trying firefox now, so I hope that's the problem..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.