Rezum or HOLEP in the UK

Posted , 13 users are following.

Fed up with the side effects of Tamsulosin and waking 3 or 4 times during the night, dribbling etc, so have decided to go for either Rezum or HOLEP. Like the idea of Rezum as there is a good chance of retaining ejaculatory function, particularly if Professor Hindley was doing it. He has done well over 100 surgeries and with good results. If anybody has had either procedure done in the UK could you please let me know the outcome. Many Thanks.

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good afternoon Andy

In a way you just answered your own question

You said you like the idea of retaining your ejaculation function. Holep you have no choice. I am in the US and I had a Urolift done 4 years ago but I have heard good things about Professor Hindley.

Good luck...Ken

• Posted

Retaining ejactulatory function would be great but not absolutely essential if HOLEP is more effective.

• Posted

What do you consider as 'retaining ejaculatory function' ? With Holep, you still can ejaculate, just not much coming out because semen goes into the bladder instead. In a way, retro ejaculation is proof that the procedure or medication did its job: opening up the bladder neck.

One poster recently posted that his uro would suggest a redo of a Greenlight procedure if it did not result in RE. 😀

Re effectiveness and durability, there is no comparisons to Holep, except for TURP, if you're willing to accept RE. However, if your symptoms are mild, you might get by with less invasive, yet less effective procedures.

Hank

• Posted

Hello

To me that I would consider a failure if I had a procedure and ended up with retro. To me it's just as important.

We should not have to give up anything just because we want to pee better.

But we do what we have to do.Ken

PS. All you need is to take the pressure of the bladder neck. If you damage it you will end up with more then retro.. I can't see leaking and wearing pads for the rest of my life. No way........................Ken

• Posted

i say avoid rezum.

• Posted

rezum didn't work for me. looking at bipolar turp to just get the job done. I'll go crazy of i try urolift and it also doesn't work!

• Posted

plus plus the resume was very unpleasant after the procedure for the first few weeks right after I couldn't move urine at all

• Posted

John

Think very hard before you do anything. Do not let your symptoms dictate what you have done. Try the Urolift it will open you up and relieve the pressure of the bladder Have it done using a general that is the way I had mine. Had a catheter for 2 days. Was good to go in 2 weeks.

John just have to put this question out there. What are you going to do if you have the bipolar Turp and you still are not able to pee????

Good luck with what ever you do.......Ken

• Posted

the turp is gold standard. he removes significant portion of the gland. if you can't pee after a turp..... then something is very wrong....

• Posted

not not yet, I'm assuming the cystoscope will just show the same that it did before the procedure.

• Posted

Strongly disagree on TURP being the "gold standard" because the data in the literature says Holep and GLEP are. Enucleation procedures produce the best efficacy and long term results in terms of being able to pee normally.. One drawback is the certain retro ejac..

Turp has a higher retreatment ratio, and also has a worse safety profile compared to Enucleation procedures. However, one needs a surgeon who is VERY skilled and experienced in Enucleation, and not a newbie at it!

• Posted

As far as effectiveness and durability, TURP and HolEp are way way above the rest. Both have high risk of retro ejaculation. Original TURP is too bloody and requires long recovery time. It is why HolEp is preferable. Button TURP, an improvement, is less bloody and with quicker recovery than original TURP. Hank

• Posted

John, I agree with you. If one can't pee after a TURP, it's unlikely that any other procedures would help. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.