Rezum post-op catheter in 12 days and counting.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone had to use the catheter for more than a few days? I had my Rezum procedure on May 7, 2019 and still need to use a catheter to pee? I've had it removed twice so far only to have to go back later in the day and get a new one inserted for relief. I'll be having the current one removed on May 24 and I sure hope I can go. The procedure was nothing compared to having to wear a catheter for so long only to be disappointed when it's removed and I still can't go. On Dr. Goldberg's video he says the turning point of inflammation is about 2 weeks and returning to one's baseline flow ( pre-op ) is about a month with a gradual improvement in flow from that point on.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

had my turp procedure 6 week's ago had to pee 14 times since 21-00 last night urologist told me things will improve in time prior to my procedure had a catheter in place for 20 months

• Edited

The short answer is yes - particularly if your prostate was really big. There are several aspects to this that you should discuss with your uro. Your situation is uncommon but not unheard of.

1. When you are recovering, ability to pee varies a lot from hour to hour. For that reason (along with many others) you should get rid of that Foley and self cath. IT could well be that some, maybe most of the time, you can pee well enough to get along - but the test in the docs office is a snapshot - and one where you're nervous and more likely to lock up.

• By self cathing, you can track your progress and start rehabbing your bladder. It will also allow you to lead a normal life, which is very hard with a foley. Get the right one (most like the speedicath 14 coude) and you can hide it in a sock , use it in a stall and take maybe an extra 30 seconds to pee (vs. normally) while no one knows. I couldn't pee on my own for several weeks after Rezum but was back in the gym doing squats 5 days after the procedure.

How big was your prostate? IT could also be that your BPH caused bladder issues - and the best way to resolve those til you can pee normally is to self cath. I highly recommend it.

• Posted

OLdB thanks for your input....I'll definitely consider self cath.

• Posted

My bad ....I meant to say June 7 and June 24. It only seems like a month and 12 days.

• Posted

Oldbuzzard is right. Self catheterizating is far and away the best way to transition after the Rezum procedure. Yes, it will probably take at least two weeks, and you'll be cathing 2 to 4 times per day. But, as he mentioned, you are in control, and you can go back to a normal routine almost immediately after the procedure.

I second the recommendation for the prelubricated Speedicaths, but I recognize that not everyone prefers them.

• Posted

Prelubed Speedicath catheters are not very good for beginners because the are stiff and cause bleeding easily. I recommend using other softer more comfortable catheters like Cure or McKesson.

• Edited

I had my Rezum done on 1/31/19 and had the Foley in three weeks after the procedure. After the first two failed attempts to remove it, they flushed me out with a #24 repeatedly for an hour. Lots of blood clot like lumps were removed. I wore the #24 home and they removed it successfully a week later. After a quick CIC lesson they sent me home with a package of #16's and some lube tubes. Five months later I haven't had to use them yet. My condition is much improved compared to prior Rezume (AUR). My current retention was measured at 54 cc six weeks ago and I have a follow up scheduled in 5 months. My PSA went down from 11.5 to 5.5. I can usually sleep 5 to 6 hours continuously now, and day time urgency and frequency levels are down but still present occasionally. Hope your condition improves. Good luck to us all.

• Posted

Thanks James, I could be headed down a similar path. All the best.

• Posted

James,

I am curious what your PVR values have been over time and how they were recorded. As I posted, while the Rezum was successful in removing the blockage, my PVR's remain over 100 ml due to bladder damage. Because I self-cath before going to sleep, that is how I am recording my PVR's.

Thanks,

Steve

• Posted

Hey Steve,

I only had one PVR test and that was 3 months post Rezum. My PVR value was determined at the Urologists office with one of those machines where they smear that gel on your belly over your bladder I am guessing, and it gives a read out of bladder volume? Sorry but I have no idea of the proper terminology. They had me pee in a cup prior to the test and I voided 75 ml. This is all a mystery to me since there are so many variables involved. I would imagine the results of this test can be effected by how much, what, and when you drank last. Also recent food consumption and what you ate. Your activity level might also effect the PVR value? It just seems to me that this isn't an exact science because your retention can vary throughout the day. The first time I experienced AUR was on the day after Thanksgiving (2018). I had to wait four hours at the Urgent Care Center due to a staff shortage. When they finally got around to Foleyizing me, I filled almost two of those rather large plastic beakers. I feel fortunate my bladder didn't burst.

• Posted

James,

I agree that measuring PVR's is not an exact science and the variables that you mention may play a role and the amount of retention may vary. I measure my PVR's by self-cathing. How many times did you experience AUR? The plastic beakers that you mention, most likely are the 1 liter ones. I had 2 liters taken out when they put the Foley in. My bladder did not burst but it was damaged which is probably the reason for my PVR's of over 100 ml. How many times did you have AUR?

Steve

• Posted

Hey Steven,

My first episode of AUR came on as a total surprise. Maybe because I ignored the symptoms and never really heard of AUR until it happened to me. I wore a Foley for three months after the first episode while awaiting for my Rezum procedure to be cleared through my insurance company and scheduling issues. One week after my Urgent Care experience I scheduled an appointment with a Urologist. His office removed the Foley and he immediately recommended a TURP. I went home and a few hours later I was getting uncomfortable from not peeing again. Luckily the Urologist called me at home to see how I was doing and told me to get an emergency room. Two weeks post Rezum I had a failed Foley removal. A week later I had another failed removal. A week later they irrigated my bladder and I've been good since.

• Posted

James,

My AUR was a surprise too because as you wrote "I ignored the symptoms and never really heard of AUR until it happened to me." Looking back, the symptoms were there and had I acted sooner, there may have been less bladder damage. This is an important lesson for all men with BPH to learn.

The 1st urologist that I saw only did TURP but held off on any surgery because when they removed 2 liters of pee, he wanted to give me at least 6 months of bladder recovery. That gave me time to research the options available to me. TURP was at the bottom of the list and Rezum was at the top.

What do you mean by a failed Foley removal? Both times, I removed the Foley myself by cutting the balloon's tube, letting the water drain out, and then pulling the catheter out. The 2nd time that I did it, 10 months of self-cathing made it easier. I wish that my PVR's were 58 ml like yours and not over 100.

Steve

• Posted

Hey Steven,

The removal procedure of the Foley went fine. As you noted it is a simple process. The failure I implied to was the the inability to pee afterwards. Had to rush back to the Uro Doc's office on two occasions to have the Foley put back in.

• Edited

I had Rezum on June 7, 2019 ( not May 7 as I reported earlier....just didn't know how to edit my post) and so far I've failed the Foley removal twice over a 2 week period. I'll be heading back for the third removal on Monday June 24 but I don't have much hope that I'll be able to pee. My Uro said if needed I would go for another week with catheter then he would try a short catheter with no bag that would be inserted up to the prostate syncter and I should be able to go on my own while the short catheter is in place....oye!

• Posted

Harry, I'm betting that you'll be OK come Monday. You may not have full flow, but since it's been a little more than a couple of weeks, you should start to open up a bit.

Best of luck to you. If by chance the flow still isn't working on Monday, ask them to show you how to self cath. It's really not that hard.

• Posted

It took me over 2 weeks to dribble anything after Rezum and probably wouldn't have passed the Foley test for 5 or 6. Fortunately, I was self catching so nothing was too disruptive. I suggest you insist on it. Self cathing Iets you ease into peeing and allows for a normal life, including exercise. Remember, you can fail the pee test but still function without a catheter.

The good news is it worked well for me despite the slow recovery at the start. If you have a bigger prostate, recovery will take longer.

• Posted

thanks OB. After 2 1/2 weeks on cath I'm going but with a weak stream and every 1/2 hour so I'm definitely considering self cath.

• Posted

I agree w/ Old Buzzard. w/ self-cathing, you still try to go naturally and, if you can't or you think there is a lot of residual volume, then you cath. It's so much more natural and freeing than the Foley.

Good luck!

• Posted

That's exactly how it was for me. At the 6 week mark I was way better than before the procedure, but in the interim self cathing will make a normal life possible.

• Posted

My Dr. wants me to use the Spanner Stent which will allow me to use my own sphincter to control flow, can stay in place, is only a couple of inches long, won't interfere with sexual activity and is less likely to cause infection. Self cathing still seems like a better way as you can note any progress you're making. I see him next week....we'll go from there. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

If it works, a spanner Stent is also a good solution. Make sure you can pee OK before you leave the office

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.