Rezum post-op catheter in 12 days and counting.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone had to use the catheter for more than a few days? I had my Rezum procedure on May 7, 2019 and still need to use a catheter to pee? I've had it removed twice so far only to have to go back later in the day and get a new one inserted for relief. I'll be having the current one removed on May 24 and I sure hope I can go. The procedure was nothing compared to having to wear a catheter for so long only to be disappointed when it's removed and I still can't go. On Dr. Goldberg's video he says the turning point of inflammation is about 2 weeks and returning to one's baseline flow ( pre-op ) is about a month with a gradual improvement in flow from that point on.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Harry,

I had radiation for prostate cancer in 2014 and my prostate became swollen and cut off all urine flow. I had 6 Foley's in and out over a period of 5 weeks before the swelling went down and I could pee again. It really took 6 weeks to return to normal.

Tom

• Posted

Wow! Thanks for sharing....kinda puts things in perspective.

• Posted

Harry,

I went through the same thing w/ the Foley catheter for 6 weeks in 2014 (off and on 4 times!). The uro told me that self-cathing was much better and I said no way I would ever do that. I finally learned how (took 5-10 minutes). It is so much better and more natural and gives you opportunity to try to pee normally whenever you want and just self-cath as needed. I'm still doing it while I wait for a procedure w/ better odds and fewer side effects.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Arlington,

I hear you on waiting for a better procedure. After researching the various procedures available now, I chose Rezum. I had no side effects from my Rezum which involved 10 injections, 4 per lateral lobe and 2 in the median lobe. It was successful in opening me up after AUR and 10 months of catheters. I would say that the odds on the procedure were good for me. I was careful in the urologist that I chose. Due to bladder damage that Rezum does not address, my PVR's remain over 100 ml. Hopefully, that will improve over time.

Steve

• Posted

I had a Foley for a week and had to CIC for another 2 weeks, only once per night. Things opened up by week 4.

• Posted

Harry,

Twelve days post-Rezum is not that long a time. I had a Rezum on November 29, 2018 that involved 10 injections, 4 per lateral lobe and 2 in the median lobe.

The urologist had me keep the Foley in for 2 weeks. I had to self-cath as for pre-Rezum for 2 more weeks until I started to open up at 4 weeks. Over the next 2 weeks, I continued to open up and reduced my self-cathing to 2 times per day. Over the next 2 months (total of 3 months), my flow continued to improve.

Due to bladder damage (moderate trabeculation observed in cystoscopy), my PVR's are still over 100 ml so I am still self-cathing before I go to sleep and only get up to pee 1 time overnight. I consider the Rezum a success as I was completely blocked before it. If I am lucky, the bladder damage will improve over time. I am crossing my fingers.

Good luck,

Steve

• Posted

Harry,

I had a similar experience as yours at the post Rezum two week mark. Did they irrigate your bladder prior to inserting the Foley? That's what seemed to help me. At the three week mark they removed a #18 and irrigated my bladder repeatedly for about an hour with a #24. Lot of bloody clumps were blocking me from peeing. I wore the #24 home and returned a week later and the removal was a success. I was getting very discouraged. Everyone is different but don't give up hope. Good luck and let us know how you progress.

• Posted

Thanks James.....it's encouraging to hear of a similar case with a positive outcome. I finally spoke with my Uro last night and he said if this next catheter doesn't work he would like me to try "a spanner" which is a short catheter where flow is controlled by my prostate sphincter and no bag is used. Anyway he assured me that within the next couple of weeks it'll all be resolved.....certainly looking forward to that! Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Harry. Your note sounds like you're a patient of Dr. Kenneth Goldberg who practices in the Lewisville, TX area. I'm his patient too, and I'm facing a decision to have Rezum, GreenLight laser or taking Dutasteride forever. Have your prostate issues resolved themselves?Would you have Rezum done again experiencing what you've gone through. Dr. Goldberg left me with the impression that catheterization would be needed for a week or two after the Rezum procedure. Reading all these post-Rezum forums has me really concerned with the healing time and the complications from a procedure touted as minimally invasive.

• Posted

Argyle,

As I wrote above, after researching the various procedures available now, I chose Rezum as it is less invasive . GLEP was my 2nd choice as it is more invasive. I never considered TURP and moved on to a different urologist has the 1st only did TURP.

I had no side effects from my Rezum in November 2018 which involved 10 injections, 4 per lateral lobe and 2 in the median lobe. It was successful in opening me up after AUR and 10 months of catheters. Due to bladder damage, my PVR's remained above 100 ml, but are now dropping below 100 ml. Hopefully, that will continue to improve over time as my bladder continues to recovers from the damage caused by the BPH blockage.

I was very careful in the urologist that I chose and researched them. I recommend that all men should be careful when choosing their urologist and make sure that they have done enough Rezums already, with 50 being a minimum.

Steve

• Posted

i had my procedure on Friday, the catheter was removed the following Wednesday. woke up at 3 am tried to pee was not able to with lots of pain. new catheter inserted and was told to keep in for a week. after removal of second catheter same problem, unable to pay and lots of pain. third catheter inserted and now told to keep for a month which is a really unexpected result. my doctor told me that this problem is not uncommon, but i am not sure that i believe it, including the explanation that having pre-diabetes contributes to the problem. at this point i am not happy with the procedure or my doctor. i am also having bleeding issues from the penis and pain with bowel movements (sorry if tmi) and was wondering if the bleeding issue is common or something to worry about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.