Rezum Procedure

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm Ted from San Jose CA in the US. Had the Rezum procedure completed in my doctor’s office on Thursday, 16 Nov 2017 to alleviate my BPH. Here is the log of what has happened so far. Hopefully this is helpful in what to expect. I will attempt to post my discussion for each day every few days.

Patient info: 65 YO, 192 lbs (87kg), 6' (436cm), diabetic type 1 for 51yrs, A1C 6.5 level,  Flomax for BPH since ~2013, Prostate ~50cm. Have had weak urination flow since my 20's. I work full time as a Facilities Mgr.

A few days prior to procedure - started taking probiotics, and more fiber and stool softener. Increased my fluid intake and decreased my intake of solid food.

16 Nov 2017

One hour prior to the procedure at home I was directed to take 1 Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen (10mg-325mg Tablet). Within 30 minutes of taking it, I started feeling its effects.

At the Doctor's office - 1.5 hrs after taking the HA tablet, the doctor gave me a short duration general anesthesia in my arm. Did not know the procedure was done until I was getting dressed. Did not feel anything. The entire procedure (from the anesthesia to when I was getting dressed was about 45 minutes). I left the doctor’s office with a catheter and leg bag. Catheter will stay in until 27 Nov (partly due to Thanksgiving holiday and weekend (23-26 Nov). Thought I'd have it out no later than 22 Nov. 

Once home I took my first pill of Levofloxacin (500mg -antibiotic, 1/day). No pain but some discomfort from the catheter moving around when I moved. Had some blood in urine. Drank a lot of fluid, herbal teas and water.  Empty ~300 ml from the bay every 2-3 hours. Ate lite meals. Went to bed feeling fine. Got up 3 times to empty bag.

17 Nov, 2017

Feel OK and continued same routine. Took one Levofloxacin (500mg) tablet. Took a nap for ~1.5 hrs. Woke up and my vision was totally blurry. My wife contacted the doctor's office and they prescribed a different Cephalexin (500mg, 4 x day). Found out on-line but not through the doctor or pharmacist that the Levofloxacin has a black label  ((("increased risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture. In February 2011, the risk of worsening symptoms for those with myasthenia gravis was added to the Boxed Warning. In August 2013, the agency required updates to the labels to describe the potential for irreversible peripheral neuropathy (serious nerve damage)."wink))  My vision took several hours to return after taking the Levofloxacin.  First bowel movement since the procedure. Some bleeding coming from the penis. Once in a while in the urine bag , there was one or two piece of bleed clots. The rest of the day went without a hitch. (no pain).  

18 Nov, 2017

Feel OK and continued same routine. Food intake is on the lite side. Eggs, soup, chicken, veges, apples (good fiber), peanut butter, pretzels. Staying away from things that have red in them.  Continued taking probiotics, fiber and stool softener. Bowel movement some bleeding coming from the penis. Started new antibiotic Cephalexin  4 x day. Walked around a little 15 minutes twice at our apartment. I'm typically pretty active.  Took first shower since the 16th. Felt good and relaxing for the 15 minutes in it.

3 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Update to my Rezum procedure performed on 16 Nov, 2017

06 Dec – 10 Dec, 2017

Urination stream strength has stabilized. I feel that it is better than I was prior to the procedure but not that much better.

11 Dec, 2017

Visited doctor today. After asking him about the procedure he informed me that he injected steam into 7 locations. I was surprised to hear that I received that many, given the size of my prostate. He said that my urine flow rate could fluctuate, but most likely it has bottomed out. He said that I’m in this transitional phase where my body should start absorbing the dead prostate cell over the next 3-5 weeks.

12-15 Dec, 2017

All traces of visible blood are gone. No noticeable change in flow rate. Drinking a lot as I have in the past (~64oz or 1.9L) per day. Get up ~1 or 2 times a night.

16-19 Dec, 2017

Noticed an increase in urine flow rate strength and feeling that my bladder is empty. Get up ~1 or 2 times a night.

20-27 Dec, 2017

Urine flow rate strength continues to increase from previous period reported. I’m emptying my bladder in about 15 seconds. No pain or urination during urination. This rate is shorter than I have ever remembered. Continue drinking a lot. Get up ~1 or 2 times a night. Still taking Flomax as I have prior. 

• Posted

Ted.  I hope you get better soon and your happy with the procedure.  But I feel 7 injection was to aggressive.  Did you ask him about retro ejaculation.  I think your going to have a problem with that.  Also did he get your permission to do that many before it was done.  Ken
    • Posted

Ted

Wonderful news!

You must’ve had a large prostate. 7  treatments indicates this.

Your improvement should continue nicely

• Posted

To Jersey and Ted.  Ted that is good news.  I did read up on Rezum yesterday.  And they did say most of the time 4 injections are use but they can use more.  It depends on the size and the length of the prostate. But it is talk over before the procedure  Also I sent a e-mail to doctor Kenneth Goldberg MD in TX.  I read a article that he did.  He was one of the first to do Rezum.  He said that there is only a 3% chance in retro.  I ask him to tell me out of the first 60 he did how many men had retro.  Because I think 3% is to low especially if the doctor is being aggressive with the treatment.  I still would like to know if he told you how many he was going to do and did you improve that number.  I think that is wrong..  Hope you improve more  Ken.  .         
    • Posted

How many REZUM have you guys done and how many ended up with retro.  Peeing better is important but retro is also important to some men.  Just asking do you know and will you let your patient talk to the other patients that are looking into the procedure.  Ken
    • Posted

Jersey.  You never answered my question.  I know you do many but do you keep a record of the men that end up with retro from the rezum procedure and do you let patients talk to other patients if they ask to. Thank you. Ken
    • Posted

We encourage our patients to talk to each other.

None have complained of it as far as I know.

• Posted

Hi  Ted,

can you inform us about  current situation ?  Thank you  Stan

• Posted

Update to my Rezum procedure performed on 16 Nov, 2017

28 Dec, 2017 - 05 Jan, 2018 42-50 days post procedure)

Urination strength continues to increase, able to empty bladder in 15 -25 sec depending on amount. Periodic slight blood noticed during initial second of urination, approximately once per day. No pain during urination. Get up 1 to sometimes 2 times a night to urinate. Still drinking plenty of liquids, even prior to bed. Still taking Flomax (0.4mg) in the evening. Most likely I will start weening (reducing the amount of ingredient in the capsule) off of it at the beginning of Feb.

@kenneth1955 - have had no retro-ejaculation. My doctor also mentioned that he wouldn't expect this to occur.

• Posted

Very happy for you ted. Hope you have more improvement.  Ken
    • Posted

Ted, thanks for posting.

I have not been able to urinate since my hip replacement surgery on 2/26/17 without the use of the catheter.

I go to my Urologist once a month for void trial but always have too much retention so they put in a new catheter.

i am 74, live in Colorado near Denver, and I am on Medicare with a supplemental insurance.  I was t the urologist yesterday (1/24/18) and was told that Medicare will NOT pay for the Rezum procedure.

So Ted, I was wondering if you are on Medicare and if so have they paid for your Rezum procedure?  

Has as anyone on this forum had Medicare pay for their Rezum procedure?

I mean actually paid the Dr, not just billed Medicare.

• Posted

Allen,

I had my Rezum procedure in Illinois on January 12, 2018. Two weeks ago. Flow is better than I remember for several years. Still some minor blood amount in urine, but little to no pain. 

My urologist's office says that Medicare does pay. You just need to go to the rezum website and look at the section where they discuss reimbursement. I am trusting my uro's office that Medicare and my supplemental insurance plan will pay for the complete procedure, including the sedative anesthesia (which was great).

For anyone else who is reading this and contemplating having this procedure done, please consider doing self-catheterization after the Rezum procedure. By doing it yourself, you avoid having the discomfort and irritation of a Foley catheter. Self-catheterization is simple and safe to do, as long as you do it correctly. There is a very good thread on this website that has some good suggestions and recommendations for self-cathing. It's scary at first, but with good training and the right cathether, it's simple easy and should be painless. 

Ken

• Posted

Hi Ted When you mentioned empty my bladder in 15 - 25 seconds have uou ever measured how urine you're voiding?

• Posted

Ken, thanks for responding. I contacted Medicare via phone and was escalated up three times to the highest level and they could not confirm if Medicare would pay for REZUM and I had the correct billing code directly from REZUM. The billing person at my Uro group said they did 30 Medicare REZUM people in 2017 and as of my monthly visit 2/22/218 Medicare has not paid them for any of them. So here I am with a new Catheter it has been a year and 2 days since I have been ableto pee without a catheter. During the day, I use a plug and remove to drain. at night, I connect a 2ltr bag and SLEEP all night, Love that part.

Anyway, glad you were able to get your REZUM done.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.