Rezum Procedure

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm Ted from San Jose CA in the US. Had the Rezum procedure completed in my doctor’s office on Thursday, 16 Nov 2017 to alleviate my BPH. Here is the log of what has happened so far. Hopefully this is helpful in what to expect. I will attempt to post my discussion for each day every few days.

Patient info: 65 YO, 192 lbs (87kg), 6' (436cm), diabetic type 1 for 51yrs, A1C 6.5 level,  Flomax for BPH since ~2013, Prostate ~50cm. Have had weak urination flow since my 20's. I work full time as a Facilities Mgr.

A few days prior to procedure - started taking probiotics, and more fiber and stool softener. Increased my fluid intake and decreased my intake of solid food.

16 Nov 2017

One hour prior to the procedure at home I was directed to take 1 Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen (10mg-325mg Tablet). Within 30 minutes of taking it, I started feeling its effects.

At the Doctor's office - 1.5 hrs after taking the HA tablet, the doctor gave me a short duration general anesthesia in my arm. Did not know the procedure was done until I was getting dressed. Did not feel anything. The entire procedure (from the anesthesia to when I was getting dressed was about 45 minutes). I left the doctor’s office with a catheter and leg bag. Catheter will stay in until 27 Nov (partly due to Thanksgiving holiday and weekend (23-26 Nov). Thought I'd have it out no later than 22 Nov. 

Once home I took my first pill of Levofloxacin (500mg -antibiotic, 1/day). No pain but some discomfort from the catheter moving around when I moved. Had some blood in urine. Drank a lot of fluid, herbal teas and water.  Empty ~300 ml from the bay every 2-3 hours. Ate lite meals. Went to bed feeling fine. Got up 3 times to empty bag.

17 Nov, 2017

Feel OK and continued same routine. Took one Levofloxacin (500mg) tablet. Took a nap for ~1.5 hrs. Woke up and my vision was totally blurry. My wife contacted the doctor's office and they prescribed a different Cephalexin (500mg, 4 x day). Found out on-line but not through the doctor or pharmacist that the Levofloxacin has a black label  ((("increased risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture. In February 2011, the risk of worsening symptoms for those with myasthenia gravis was added to the Boxed Warning. In August 2013, the agency required updates to the labels to describe the potential for irreversible peripheral neuropathy (serious nerve damage)."wink))  My vision took several hours to return after taking the Levofloxacin.  First bowel movement since the procedure. Some bleeding coming from the penis. Once in a while in the urine bag , there was one or two piece of bleed clots. The rest of the day went without a hitch. (no pain).  

18 Nov, 2017

Feel OK and continued same routine. Food intake is on the lite side. Eggs, soup, chicken, veges, apples (good fiber), peanut butter, pretzels. Staying away from things that have red in them.  Continued taking probiotics, fiber and stool softener. Bowel movement some bleeding coming from the penis. Started new antibiotic Cephalexin  4 x day. Walked around a little 15 minutes twice at our apartment. I'm typically pretty active.  Took first shower since the 16th. Felt good and relaxing for the 15 minutes in it.

3 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know it's a pain, ted75005, but if you could keep giving the occasional update, I myself would be most appreciative.  I'm in no position to ask for anything at all, but your posts were what I needed to hear. They  gave me a lot of hope and encouragement.  I think this site attracts men who are either (a) looking at encroaching urinary health problems or (b) had a prostate procedure that maybe went south.  I'm in the former category.  Thus, the news we often hear is pretty dire.  Your posts were refreshing.  I wish you continued convalescence and my heartfelt and humble thanks for keeping us informed.

• Posted

Rezum done Jan 22. Had to have it done in doctors other offices 20 miles away in another Medicare contractor area. I have traditional Medicare. prostate was 40, but was a very weak stream for at least 15 years and incomplete bladder emptying.  Procedure was shot in the prostate through the anus to put prostrate to sleep. Hurt like hell.  The the rezum needle on each side and two in the middle 9 seconds each. Last one in the middle thought I was in hell.  At this point my doctor gave me three choices for cath. 1)Traditional cath for 5 days. 2.)insert my own cath if I need it. 3.) 2 days of traditional cath then three weeks of the spanner prosthetic stent. I chose number 3. Traditional cath worked fine for 2 days. Then he took the cath out with out problem and inserted the spanner prostetic stent. Then he said it was his first time on a real person. So OK, it went in fine and I could pull on the green string now and then to make sure the balloon stays seated inside the bladder. Urine flow now slowed down . but far more comfortable than the traditional cath. Ejaculation with this stent in worked just fine too. That worked fine till I got a urinary Tract infection. They could not differentiate if it was the new spanner or some thing else. I was urinating ever half hour and each time I had to return every minute for 5 minutes to dribble. A few days of this became a real pain so I had some Keflex at home from another illness and stated taking it by the recommended dose. A few days later was doing a lot better. Saw the doctor and told him I started keflex 24 hours ago and it is working, Think it is a UTI. He took a urine sample and said the lab will have it back in 48 hours. I stayed on my keflex till labs came back confirming UTI and doctor then prescribed keflex./ On the same day he placed me on keflex we were one and a half weeks out from the rezum proceedure and he said lets just take the spinner out. I said yes. The spinner came out real easy, this time he pulled the black string which deflates the balloon and it slides right out no pain. Now that it is out, UTI still going away so have to drink a lot which means pee a lot. Every half hour during the day and about once an hour at night. Once the stent was out urine stream remained the same but could have. been because of the UTI. As the UTI is getting better, less and less problems with frequent urination. My doctor also prescribed uribel, in the beginning, to slow bladder spasm Turns the urine blue as well. . 800mg of Ibprophin taken daily as recommended for up till today. So out two weeks and cannot tell progress possibly because of uti, possibly not yet. 
    • Posted

Good evening.  This is the first time I have heard of a spanner offed for a procedure.  I just read up on it and you must have gotten the UTI for the catheter. It's like a catheter without the tube.   The only thing I can't see it said that it will open up when the bladder is ready to empty.  What if your not ready.  I hope things get better for you.  40 I think was kind of small to have something done.  Oh well good luck  Ken   

• Posted

I can attest, that with a UTI, you are constantly emptying your bladder so there is no restriction. They told me there are little holes in the base of the balloon which allows urine to flow. With a UTI, I would have filled a half cup 20 times in a day with the spanner in. So it does not block an urine from leaving the bladder. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments on Medicare and having to go to an area covered by a different Medicare contractor (MAC). I believe the MAC for Colorado is the reason why I have been unable to get my REZUM procedure done. I will inform my Uro and billing office about your success with Medicare.

Best wishes on your recovery.

• Posted

HI everyone just wanted to add onto the discussion here. I am a 32 year old young man who just recently as of Monday, February, 12th, 2018, went through the Rezum procedure. Here's my story and why I had it done. 

Back last year on July, 26th, 2017, I was hit with a very odd and random infection known to many of us men as Porstatitus. I was given antibacterial meds for over 7 months which later gave me CVID which counter acts all antibacterial medications and gives you nasty diarrhea, urge to urinate, and blood in the urine. When all this happened I did go to the Hospitals more than 5 times, then to many urologists here in Nevada. 

My urologist did a cystoscopy in which I had two different urologists, so I've had it done twice, one said I was fine the other said my prostate was abnormally large for a 32 year male adult. My urologist offered some solutions, 1st was tackle everything by medication, 2nd Rezum, and 3rd TURP. After almost 4 years on medications throughout my life I was fed up and tired, so I did my research on both TURP and Rezum, which by of course Rezum out weighs all others by far! 

So, the day of my procedure for Rezum, I was instructed to pick up the Lidocaine jelly and VALIUM. Then I was instructed to take a enema the night before the procedure and then another one early more 2 hours before the procedure. On my way to the office to have this procedure done I was told to take my first Valium then the second one once I came into the office. 

I then was brought back into the procedure room where I was given the lidocaine jelly lidocaine solution, a numbing shot to my rear end. When the urologist arrived into the room, he instructed me there would be pressure in my rectum as he would be entering with a camera probe, then while inside he gave a series of 3 to 4 shots into my prostate to assist with the pain levels. Once this was done, I flipped back on to my back and the procedure began. The pokes to my prostate weren't that bad, I felt the sting, but I did feel the steam which also was not as bad as I thought it would of been. I felt as if the steam when he was doing it, went to my feet. He only did two direct punctures to my prostate and pumped 5 to 9 seconds worth of steam into there. I was then given a catheter for 3 days. 

The first day was horrible, I felt this catheter rubbing and annoying the heck out of me, but my 3rd day was like I didn't feel it in there anymore, but it was the day it came out. The Rezum team sent two of there employees to the Office, because I was advised I was the youngest man to ever go through this kind of procedure. 

For those who hate catheters, I understand and will admit there isn't any way around feeling at ease or peace with it, but you can manage it. I sat in my recliner chair and slept there versus the bed at times. I would suggest drinking as much water as possible! Shoot why not, you won't feel the urge to urinate, because the bag on your side just fills itself up. I had a catheter with the bottom button on it, so I could just aim the tube to the toilet and let it drain out then just press the button again to secure it shut. I used toilet paper rolled it tight and cleaned the inner tube where the urine drained out. 

I read this entire page from everyone, believe me, I am not one who ever thought I'd end up struggling this much in life with BPH, the reason why I had it done to open up the urethra and attempt living a normal life again. If anyone has questions I am willing to help as much as possible.

Also I've tried almost every supplement on the market before all of this and medications like alfuzosin and tamsulosin, all the way to el miron, and finisteride. Right now I am also using AZO Bladder Control which really seemed to help along the way. I am now just hoping and praying my prostate won't flare up and have the retention problems that I kept hearing about. I understand and get I am young, but that retention ughh.... 

• Posted

I'm sorry for you Brain. But something is not right.  At 32 they offed you a Turp.  Did they tell you how big your prostate was.  Every man will get Prostatitis. We all have to live with it.    Are you sure that your prostate was not inflamed form the prostatitis.  And if it was your prostate.  Why not  at 32 offer you a Urolift.  It would open the prostate up without any cutting or damage to the prostate.  It is the only procedure that has no side effects.  You do not say if your married or if you have any children.  I hope and pray that all will go well for you.  And if you are planning any kids I hope you don't get retro.  I think them doctors did you wrong.  God Bless  Ken   

• Posted

This is a terrible story and much of it makes no sense to me. You had prostatitis so why were you taking  "almost every supplement on the market before all of this and medications like alfuzosin and tamsulosin, all the way to el miron, and finisteride" They are not used for prostatitis and the prescription ones must have been being prescribed for you long term by a doctor as well as the antibiotics.  How big was your prostate and did they do a scan and tell you the size and show where the supposed obstruction was.

The prostatitis started in July 2017 so why were you on medications for about three years before then?

Did you pay for this or was it covered by medical insurance?

• Posted

Should of explainer better, I had prostatitus for 6 months. My prostate was very much inflamed, during those six months I was taking cipro, el miron, tamsulosin, and amitriptyline. Once much prostate was normal I was also suffering from bph. My insurance covered meds surgery. The supplements I took were on my 7 and 8 months of suffering. So for two extra months I tried other supplements. I don’t believe the Urolift  would of helped, rezum by far has no side effects and more reasonable than TURP, urolift, laser, and etc.  
    • Posted

Brian  There are a lot of men on here that have dealt with prostatitis.  I can understand the cipro.  That is what I am given.  But the other stuff you did not take them long enough to do anything.  I have a friend that has it from the time he was 17.  He is now 32 and he deals with it.  I deal with it from time to time.  Pain in the groin, testicular pain and my penis goes numb.  I am not going to have anything done. I take the cispro and deal with it.  I think your doctor saw you coming or they just did something to get ride of you.  Also who told you that the Rezum procedure has no side effects.  I can just see your doctor telling don't worry there is only a 4% chance of retro  If he told you anything.  It is more like 20% and can take 6 month to heal or more.  Also do you know that out of the 10 top procedure Urolift is the only one that does not cause any side effects.  How big was your prostate.  Mine was the size of a large lemon and close tight.  My doctor offered me what he felt was best for me.  Your doctor I'm not so sure.  I hope you heal well and you can deal with the out come. Because your doctors won't.  Take care and god bless  Ken  PS  I do wish you will but at 32 You should not be going through this

• Posted

Hey Brian, I am a 31-year-old male with similar symptoms. I was told I had prostatis last August and ever since I haven't felt normal. I am peeing a lot almost every 45 minutes. When I do go, not a lot comes out. I have weak stream. I've had a million tests done and have tried similar pills -- everything from Cipro to Flomax to Mybetriq and in between. I am in the middle of PTNS nerve stimulation. Then I want to convince my urologist to try Rezum...I've been wonder how are you doing now that it's been 10 days? Do you recommend it?

• Posted

Good even Jason.  Every man get prostatitis in his life we just have to deal with it.  There are meds that you can take that will help you.  I have a friend that has had it from the age of 17.  He is 33 now and he only has a few spells a year.  You don't need the Rezum treatment or any right not.  You are going through PTNS treatment for a over active bladder.  Get that fix first.  Your prostate is fine.  How many treatment have you had.  You have to have 12.  It takes at least 6 to see some improvement.  sometimes less.  Give it a chance.  Are you married and do you have any kids do you even what kids.  Brain was told that there are no side effects.  There are Retro ejaculation is the worst.  Please think before you act.  Because your own life is ahead of you  Ken     

• Posted

Hey Jason, I first off want to say ignore some on here who think they know what's best for you! I am a 32 year old male Law Enforcement Officer who now am to the point of laughing at some on here who messaged me and claimed my Uro dumped me and just did the Rezum for a buck. 

I was a on a catheter for two weeks, because I went into retention, now I am off the catheter 5 days and feeling alright. The truth is no side effects! for me! there a slight chance you could get retro maybe, but if your on Advart or Finistaride, and Tamsulosin will end up giving you retro! I read I know. So far I am in the early stages of this and I will know for sure by week 4 and 5 and 6 how it all turns out, because again being on a catheter for almost two weeks, mainly 8 days. I would say if your looking for the safest route like myself instead of these so  called Urolift, laser surgery, turp, removl of the prostate, is insane when Rezum has none of those, they only pump steam into the prostate! No shaving it or cutting it or lasering it! 

If you need further information about recovery or help with getting more info Message me, I refuse to get into dumb debates with some on here who think they're know it all's. Only a few have come forth and gave there own story and how they felt to me on a message cause for some the Rezum may not work. No bs even my Uro told me this! 

Like you Jason this came out of no where and pretty much took me to the ground more than anything in this world. Also Prostatitus again I have more info on it as well and am not gonna get into it with some on here about how long this can happen. Yet I will say many Urologists have stated no definite answers to why men get it! Cipro, Levo, Bactrim, and etc suck! CVID look it up. 

• Posted

Good afternoon Brain.  I hope all goes well for you.  I have read a lot of your post and I do feel that you stand a good chance to recovery fully from your procedure.  You may not get retro because what I read the Doctor only gave you 2 shots with steam and you are much younger they most of us on here.  There are a few men that are not as lucky like todd he is 53  Was very gun ho.  Took 6 month for him to decide.  8 month's later he still has to do CIC and he has retro.  And hate it.  There are a few more but every man has the right to pick his procedure.  There are alot of good in some procedure and there are bad.  Not all procedure wil work on everyone.  That is why we have to do our research.   I have a lot of friend's that are in the police department.  And I know the job that have to do.  Don't rush into doing anything.  Heal first  Take care  Ken  

• Posted

So sorry, I am new to this, and do not know how to begin a thread, so . . .My husband had the Rezum procedure over 20 month ago.  It did not go as well as expected. His initial response was similar to what we were told, and we have read here.  But when the catheter was removed, he could not urinate and it had to be replaced. It has been over 2 months and he has been forced to self-catheter with zero improvement.  We have been told that he is "the only person EVER to have this effect".  I am very curious if there is anyone else that this has happened to. We are currently seeking opinions from other urologists and praying that there is a solution.  Anyone with a similar experience?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.