REZUM PROSTATE THERAPY - JUST HAD IT DONE

Posted , 9 users are following.

Procedure was performed at 1st Urology in Louiville, Dr. Becker, on 14 April. Good Doctor, I like him.

Here's what I've experienced so far:

Procedure completed on Friday, had a cat and it was removed the following Monday.

The procedure itself is quite painful, but only for 9 seconds at a time. Post operative main wasn't much, and I really didn't feel anything in the prostate before the local wore off (except during the procedure as mentioned).

So I have quite bloody urine with little chunks in it, and it burns to pee. I have quite a bit of urinary urgency at this time. I'm pretty confident this will all clear up after 6 - 8 weeks have passed.

I am having either dry or bloody / pussy ejaculations. I'm hoping I'm not left with dry ones, that would suck. Pleasure is definitely decreased.

I guess the dry thing is rare, but I'm hoping it will clear up. Since I sometimes get the mess, I don't think it's retrograde, I just think I'm not producing semen at this point. If anybody can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

This is probably the best procedure to have done at this time, but I'll try and keep this updated.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I thought I'd write an update.

1. Flow is better

2. Stinging and burning seems to be going away

3. Yesterday was the first day without blood

4. Urgency is still very bad

5. Semen volume is greatly reduced. It was first reduced after using proscar, a side effect I was not made aware of. Now it's worse, and I don't know if it will recover.

6. So, climax is less intense now. Not happy about that...

• Posted

Mine went completely dry, then came back partially. Varies a lot day to day - a second orgasm within an hour or two of the first produces the most semen for me.
    • Posted

Bmack- Thanks so much for the update. Maybe again next month?

• Posted

Update:

1. Urinary urgency is still bad, worse than before the procedure.

2. Flow is very good.

3. I have to urinate very frequently.

4. Visible levels of blood are gone.

5. Almost no semen after ejaculation (I really dislike giving this info but I believe people deserve to know. No idea if this will change).

6. Burning / pain during urination still exists.

Does anybody know if I should still be having these urgency / burning issues after this much time? I realize it takes time, just wondering if I should call the Doc.

• Posted

The frequently will get better in time.  Did your doctor tell you that the seman volume will get less or you may end up with retro ejaculation.  Some men have had it done but only let the doctor do the steam injection on the right side only because they did not want the steam to distroy the ejaculatory ducts.  It worked well for them no retro at all.  It only open the right side but that was enough to have them pee better.  Hope thing will improve.  The doctor say that there is a 4% chance of retro but with the way the man on here were talking it's about 15% Not to many were happy at all.  Have a good day  Ken

• Posted

I just looked it up. Yes, urgency can last for 2-3 months. If it bothers you a lot, they can put you on a course of Myrbetiq. It works well and is generally side effect free. You're on the end of where burning should happen. You might want to get checked for a UTI just in case.

MY semen dropped to almost zero and partially returned, but to about 50% of what it was prior to the procedure. Most men do better than that.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I just called him, my wife came down with a UTI so I'm wondering if we are swapping bacteria. She's on CIPRO (which I hate) but I might have to go on it. I'll find out today.

• Posted

Well,

He called in a couple of prescriptions. I believe they are going to culture the UA, so that might take a bit of time.

• Posted

That's SOP for a suspected UTI. There are other antibiotics they can prescribe if you want to avoid Cipro and Levaquin

• Posted

Well, he prescribed NitroFurantoin and Uribel. However, I stopped the nitrofurantoin after the UA came back clean (no infection).

The uribel certainly helps, but wow. I sure hope this really diminished orgasm intensity fixes itself.

Right now, my sex life (very active with a younger wife) is kind of ruined, at least for now.

Does anybody know if this will get better? I guess it's been 6 - 7 weeks since the procedure. Wish I'd known about only doing one side.  sad

• Posted

I think Myrbetriq is a better choice for the urgency, but if Uribel is helping, stay with it. I had no issues with erections or orgasm, only partial RE that varies alot from squirt to squirt. They did a study and found that for many Rezum increased sexual function. For me, orgasms are the same, but recovery time is better. Pre-Rezum, I needed 2-3 hours between orgasms - I could get hard sooner, but not finish. Now, I can sometimes go at it again in 30 minutes, which is really good for a 62 year old.

Orgasms can be really tricky and psychoology can play a big role. It could be that you're pain and urgency are short circuiting your brain a bit. One bad one post surgery can get you thinking about it which can spoil the next one and on and on. Give it a bit of time - impotence has not been a side effect oif Rezum, so the odds are that one way or another, it will resolve itself.

• Posted

Update:

I am recoverying in every way except one, and that is urinary urgency. When I have to go, it's very bad and I have to go now. I'm not taking the medicines prescribed - the uribel was very effective but costs $54 for 4 days worth! It's not in my insurance company's "Formulary".

• Posted

Three things you can do:

1) Have your doc file an appeal to your insurnance company for Uribel

2) Try another overactive bladder med that IS on the formulary list - they almost surely have at least one

3) See if your doc can get some samples

The urgency will resolve over time, but the meds helped me a lot until nature did its job.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.