rhomboid flap procedure for pilonidal sinus

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello,is there anyone on this forum who has had the rhomboid flap procedure to remove a pilonidal sinus?I've been told by my surgeon that this is the final solution to cure my sinus as i've already had the wound excised but unfortunately this has not worked for me..If anyone out there has had this procedure how has it worked for you, have you since had any relapses, does the procedure disfigure the buttocks,I look forward to any feedback thanks.. sad

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had this operation. I had original sinus removal operation in 05. then I had a wound open and slow healing. consultant decided to do rhomboid flap transposition. It made my wound worse. I regret having had it done. However, ive been told that it is a standard operation for this kind of problem by other consultants. just there is a 20% chance of wound breakdown or problems. Could be I was just one of the unlucky 20%, so I cant recommend you not to have it. I just tell you that with me it did not work.

cheers

phil

• Posted

I had flap procedure performed by a plastic surgeon at a private hospital and it was a complete success - scar is a very thin pencil line of about 2 inches that is barely visable. Feeling after was incredibly tight but not painful - stiches were dissolvable and bum doesn't look much different -cleft at the top is not as deep, slightly flatter. Would def reccommend. After 4 years of pain and discomfort, mainly my fault as i thought it was a sweat boil from doing a lot of running and my trousers rubbing, i was really surprised with the results. The surgeon had an \"interest\" in this technique and always performed this technique on all sinus patients.
    • Posted

hi

what is the name of surgeon and hospital, please

• Posted

i have gone through Rhomboid Flap ​surgery on march 2015 it is fine but there scar remain at that portion and it feel sometime painfull to me after long sitting . and i didnt get complete sense at that portion after 9 month is this become healed up in a year or it will take more year for complete healing
  • Posted

Hey smile

I've had a total of 6 surgeries for this stupid 'disease' I had my first rhomboid flap repair done in March 2015 as I was told it was my last hope after having 2 failed drainages and 2 failed excisions... Unfortunately the flap repair didn't work for me, for 8 months I was in a lot of pain on and off, I had an ultrasound last month and it showed that I never healed from it so a week later I was back in surgery, I had my second rhomboid flap done 3 weeks ago, I am still getting the pain I had before surgery.. I have to have an ultrasound in 2 weeks to see if it's healed if not I'll be back in surgery.

There are a lot of successes for this procedure though, so I hope you are one of the lucky ones!

• Posted

Hi, I have had my second surgery and the doctor keeps saying I get hair down there. So we cut my hair, the doctor wanted me to shave it all. But I was wondering if you knew how I can maybe prevent that? The doctor says there's nothing he can really do if hair keeps getting down there. I'd really like help

• Posted

Hi how are you getting on? Iv just had a major op in my pilondol sinus had a flap. My surgeon has been amazing. He has said to use hair removal cream all over the area to keep it hair free. Just wondered if this helps I know it was ages ago you posted 
  • Posted

Hi Folks my name is Alan and I have this sinus everyday (365 days) go nearly 2 years come April. The sinus is a clean wound which battles the Dr's. I had a colostomy last April and had my bowel removed and my bum but the problem is the sinus was a site for a drain. I had a pilonidal sinus 25 yrs and never came back. The cavity of the sinus is 2" to bottom and the depth is about 2" depth in the opening of the sinus is very small sometimes close to closing now that would be fun lol. The Dr's are baffled, has anyone have seminal probems
  • Posted

I have had it before on 2015, I recovered quickly in a month. And it didnt stop me from any activities. Later few week back i felt pain and swelling in same area. And there was discharge 2 days later after continous pain. But now i was on a course of antibiotics. And feel kind of itchy but no sign of discharge. Im not sure if this is the end of it.
  • Posted

Hi I'm answering on behalf of my son, he's had problems with this for 5 years. Three ops but main problem seems to have been that after care wasn't good enough. This time amazing surgeon who taught me how to care for it , clean and pack daily. Now 5months down the line it is no longer a big hole but about thumbnail sized . However this is the hardest part, we could easily leave it as so small but this where it became infected again last time and started again. So still cleaning and dressing daily, not missed a day. He had a Bascoms procedure in Nov 2014, complete disaster and rubbish follow up from hospital made him 100% worse. Fingers crossed this time, you definitely need an expert surgeon and non stop care at home . Good luck to all of you struggling with this!
  • Posted

Hi there i see this was posted a year ago i am due to have this opperation in 2 weeks and would be my 4th oppertation but 1st time haveing the flap done would be great to know what to expect and what after care i would be haveing thanks smile
  • Posted

have any one among u have experience lymph swelling in groin because of this pillonidal sinus..plz help...m just in so stress..help will b appreciated...m also having pillonidal sinus from last 2 years
    • Posted

My son had swelling of lymph in groin several times with his pilonoidal sinus. He had an op in sept 2015, amazing surgeon in London. 3rd op and it sorted it finally. Hope u get it sorted
    • Posted

Thanks gill for replying..it just eased my mind...but my pillonidal sinus is not infected now..but lymph nodes are little swelled...help will b appreciated
    • Posted

My son still got swelling in groin until it was totally gone, Doc said his body was still fighting to heal . It’s a dreadful ailment, good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.