Riding a bike....

Posted , 17 users are following.

Is anyone able to ride a bike or found a way to make it more comfortable? I live on the canal and my bike is invaluable for getting about when I’m moored further from the car but using it this week has left me in agony! I’ve only been on it for 5 mins morning and night and most the time out the saddle- this disease can be so dibilitating and not easy to explain that you can’t go out because you just need to lie with your legs open, smother your lady garden in cream and take the strongest painkillers you have to hand!! 

At least we have this place to have a rant and share what helps! 🙏

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I'd really like to cycle but I'm frightened even to try.  My LS is under good control but I'm worried about even trying and I'd also love to hear any tips about how to manage to begin with.  Thanks for posting this and sorry I have no advice only a need for it too!  Best wishes.

• Edited

I’m definately gonna try the olive oil- nothing else seems to work and I’ve spent to much money on buying stuff for it to burn and make matters worse! X
    • Edited

Hi Sally, using evoo, definitely works for me. I still use my prescribed steroid ointment nightly as advised, but it's only a low dose 1% grade. The potent Dermovate is only used if I have a major flare up, which thankfully is very rare. Give it a try, you maybe pleasantly surprised. My gynae consultant actually discharged me back to my GP a couple of weeks ago because he said the vulva area was under super control. I personally attribute a great deal of that to the evoo.......didnt tell him that though....lol. Good luck !!!

• Posted

Thx for idea I will try OO. Using neosporin nd to see Dr get cortisone.... Miss riding bikes. New issue for me 😦 I'll have to get a new gel seat cover for bike and padded bike pants old ones too small now. I will try OO and update. Also gonna order Emuaid creme try that. xx jamb

• Edited

Hi Sally,

this is is a brilliant question you have asked.  Although I do think riding a road bike caused my L S I was fine before I used the road bike it happened because of the saddle and riding in a forest, I had read it can come because of trauma.  I sold the road bike I loved the bike but no way could I lean on my bits like that.  I use a mountain bike for longer rides with a saddle that is cut away front to back, it was from the Internet an Italian brand name I think.  I also bought a sit up and beg bike which has helped as your back is straighter and so aren’t leaning forward.  I also have to watch seams and if I get sore I use the clob to help.  The saddle might be an idea for you.  If I go in bumpy rides I’m embarrassed to say I have to sit off centre very uncomfortable but I can’t sit on the saddle over bumps like stones etc it would damage me.  It’s hard when you love cycling.  My gp said to stop riding but that’s silly as it helps with depression and gets me out.  Maybe look at your bike fit I aren’t sure what bike you ride xx 

• Edited

Also Sally I’ve noticed awful burning deep inside after riding sometimes x
  • Edited

I Have seen in bike shops you can get cushions for the bike seat that have a kind of open part in the middle, this relieves the pressure and doesn't cause as much trauma down below

• Edited

There are bicycle seats made for men that have an open part in the middle of the seat (easier on a guy's testicles, I guess).  I think it's the same thing Jessicat was suggesting.  You may want to try one one of those type of seats.  Best wishes.  

• Edited

Thanks Dana- I’ll look into it! I’m thinking a different riding position might help too- different handlebars! Trouble is that I’ve noticed a white line across my buttock so think the whole area is affected! 
  • Edited

Hi Sally- I love to do Sprint triathlons with my husband, however that had been on hold for a bit now. I also use my bike at my summer house ( with saddlebags to hold all my groceries), but couldn’t  this year due to flare.  I think if everything is calm down there ( no inflammation, no pain), I will try my bike again with my special tri pants with cushioning. I’ll let you know how it goes. I hope my biking life is not behind me....
    • Edited

It sucks doesn’t it! I’m sure being heavier doesn’t help with me- but hard trying to loose weight when exercise is so uncomfortable! 

I could understand if I’d cycled miles but it’s a few minutes!! 

So being really good girl this week- good diet, olive oil regime and no cycling for now! 

Your summer house with bike and panniers for groceries paints such a lovely picture- let’s hope there is a solution!! 

Best wishes x

• Edited

I bought a Hobson easy seat 2. It's great! Nothing touches your parts since it's a split seat. I can ride my bike again!

• Posted

Are you still using the Hobson split bike seat.? The reviews say that they are wobbly and unstable. Also, it says you get sore wrist and shoulders from putting weight on handle bars. One review said the back of the seat hits the back of his thighs. Please let me know your thoughts. I suffer LS and really need to solve the bike seat problem. Many thanks for any feedback.

• Edited

goggle bike seat for bike seat after prostate removal. seats vary but only sit bones rest on the seat, no contact with perineum. order on web.... no available at bike shops.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.