Right Hip Replacement

Posted , 45 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 48 year old guy and I'm getting my right hip replaced next Tue 5th March. To say I'm worried is an understatement! It's not so much the op it's the waking up in pain part that's worrying me and I've got this daft thought in my head that if I bend my hip the wound will burst open, I know I'm being daft about it and loads get done every year but it's really bothering me. I've also been advised to have the epidural instead of the general, can anyone advise which is best?

3 likes, 137 replies

137 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello woke up at 3 am needing a wee got back ache ass ache leg ache n can't move on to my side and curl up and sleep in a little ball god what I would give to do that, so I've come downstairs and lay on my comfy sofa on my back of course.

I woke up on the day of the op a bit nervous not too bad actually didn't have a light breakfast as they suggested had I known I would have done. Got to hospital all ready to go until I got told I wouldn't be going until tea time I was a bit fed up but thought oh well can't fo nothing about that mind you no cup of tea or nothing it was a bit of a wait. At ten to 6 after waiting for 6 hours a nurse and porter whizzed in checked my tag and who I was and said goodbye to my partner and within 5minuets I was dôwn the operating room having a spinal block blood pressure going over the scale the nurse said are you a bit anxious my reply was yes I'm shitting a brick which made everyone laugh I remember chatting to the anethsitist looking up into his eyes he was telling me about his honeymoon in the Maldives next thing I woke up in recovery and that was it.

I am now a bit sore already fed up of lying on my back but then it won't be forever looking forward to summer and getting out on my bike, so until my next achey night, omg just realised I'm lying here with my good leg crossed over my bad leg naughty naughty eh, night everyone x

• Posted

Hey wilky are you still on your crutches on these long walks of yours? God think I need a wee again now time I get upstairs sorted out n down again I need to go again well that's wot it seems like, I remember the night after the op the nurse came in with a cup of tea and two dry biscuits she said I can't give you anything else in case you are sick, was I gutted or what so I said ok could you pass my handbag over please so she did on her way out, two chunky kit Kats later n cup tea I was sorted lol and wasn't sick that saw me through until breakfast.

Could go with a cup of yea now actually if I put kettle on time I get back from loo should be boiled, night again everyone till tomorrow night x

• Posted

Yes still on my sticks, I've to use them for the 6 weeks after my op until I've been back to see them. To be honest, if its something I want in the kitchen I'll go without my sticks but wouldn't go upstairs without them or anything. You'll be surprised how quick you recover, I'm getting more bother from the good one than the operated one now lol. You take care and don't rush it, it'll get better in no time :-)
  • Posted

Omg I can't sleep for very long on my back I get so stiff and numb the two nights I've been at home I've ended up on the sofa, are you still on your back wily after almost four weeks, I've tried loads of pillows and just losing down with my usual couple of pillows but still finding it hard, I'm not bad during the day as I've put raisers on my chair and an extra cushion under it as mb9 suggested and I'm trying to keep as mobile as possible, in fact it's not half as bad as I thought it would be its just the nights I'm struggling with right now.

The pain is not bad at all also not as bad as I thought it would be my leg has swelled up though looks a bit minging compared to my good leg but I'm not bothered about that to be honest, any ideas with sleeping at night would be great though.

Thanks for everones help and ideas x

• Posted

Hi, having no bother now, I can sleep on my good side but I make sure there's a pillow between my legs to stop them crossing over. I struggled at the start just like you and spent a few nights on the couch which I found more comfortable than my bed, I mentioned it to the district nurse when she first visited and she arranged for a blow up mattress to be delivered, it goes on top of your own mattress, its only about 6 inches deep but what a difference it made and I'm now sleeping right through no problem, might be an idea to mention it to your nurse when she visits.

Did they deliver a chair to you or are you on your own furniture? They delivered one to me because my furniture was too low, at first I spent half the time on the chair and the other half lying on the couch but now I only lie on the couch when my leg aches.

The swelling will go down after a couple of weeks, I'm still numb around the wound area but I've been told it'll wear off eventually.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're coming along, hopefully this thread will help others if they stumble across it on this site :-)

• Posted

Hi all,

Well Tuesday night I went to bed and within an hour I was down on the sofa again and I must have had a good 5 hours on and off. I was dreading Wednesday night and went to bed with a book I turned the lamp off without even starting to read just to see if I would nod off and I did but woke up again about 3 hours later I tried turning with a pillow between my legs onto my good side was a bit sore though I don't know if this is a bit soon to be on my side but I really didn't care I just needed a good couple of comfy hours sleep I woke up bit stiff and sore but ok, I did the same last night and am finally getting some sleep. Do you think this is a bit soon to be on my side my bad side is a definite no no.

I had done items delivered and I borrowed a hard chair from work which i sit on sometimes aswell as my own chair.

I don't see any district nurse at all just wait until my 6week check up in may I don't have stitches or anything either just glue which is still looking good and intact. I went into town yesturday with my partner to get some friut and veg and also today I went with my daughter to look in new look which was nice, I was starting to get cabin fever being stuck in and was onlyvhome for 3days till I had to get out.

I can't believe how quickly you get up and about as a week ago today I could only just manage to stand beside my bed holding onto a zimmer and less than a week later I'm in town, unbelievable. Hope your still doing well wilky and getting out and about still bit cold though x

• Posted

Hi all,

Well yesterday I went for my 6 week check up and everything's as it should be which was a relief :-) they asked me if I was hurting anywhere and I told them just above my knee on my operated leg but she said that was nothing to worry about, it was just muscle and to remember they'd had to cut thru the muscle to get to my hip.i also told her my hamstring was really tight and felt like it was going to snap, again she said that was normal as it wasn't being used as much as before, she's sending me for physio to build up the muscle and to slacken off my hamstring so all positives.

I'm getting around well with my sticks and she told me to try going down to one stick at first and then down to none, she said if I was in any discomfort or still had a limp it was too soon. To be honest I've been walking about the house without sticks but limping so I'm back to using one as I don't want to damage it.

I was told I can't go back to work for at least another 6 weeks yet and also still can't bend below the 90 degrees for the 6 weeks so my wife and daughter will still need to put my socks and shoes on for me. She told me if I follow her instructions it will help in the life of my hip and I should get between 20 and 25 years out of it so I'm doing as I'm told! When I do go back to work its to be a phased return (I'm an HGV driver and sometimes have to pull pallets that weigh up to 1.5 tonnes) she said I could take up to 6 months to get back to where I was before but I'm in no rush as long as I see the long term benefit in it.

I'm walking anywhere between 1 and 1.5 miles every day, (not counting around the house lol) slowly, but I'm doing it :-)

Tina, I hope you're still getting on fine? Keep us posted as I'm sure this conversation can help others in the future :-)

• Posted

Hi wilky lovely to hear from you, I have my 6 week check on the 8th may

I read your post and thought omg I think I'm going way to quickly I have been getting dressed and putting my socks and shoes on by myself I'm walking with one crutch even yesturday I walked across the front room without any crutch and I didn't limp I was amazed I didn't limp so I did it 3times. I'm not pushing myself to do it I just feel that I can and it doesn't hurt or anything at all I wouldn't do it if it did but after reading your post I'm thinking I'm going way to quickly. I always use my crutches if I go out into town and upstairs just round the house I use one. I was thinking how well I was doing and thought maybe after my 6 week check I could go back to work if I took it easy, I have 2jobs in morning and one in evening all cleaning jobs but not so sure now.

I did a lot of reading up on line before my opp about how carefull you must be etc and been thinking maybe it's all a bit ott as I've been feeling so good must admit I am bit worried now but I'm feeling great. Still not sleeping much but I think it's because I'm not working and just not tired although I am sleeping through the night when I do get to sleep and on my good side with a pillow between my legs, ah well will have to see what the 6 week check says but I am honestly feeling good and I'm not pushing myself at all.

Looking forward to hearing from you again wilky x

• Posted

Hi Tina,

Don't get too worked up, remember everyone's different and hospitals and consultants give out different info too, i'm only going on what i was told yesterday.

I have walked without my sticks but to an extent i do still have a limp but i think my other hip is causing that. Because they are aware of the problem the nurse told me yesterday that i wouldn't have to go through all the rigmoroll of getting pain killers and stuff, she would just refer me straight to the surgeon again and let him decide when and if it needs replaced.

To be honest while i hadn't even tried getting my socks on i have tied my laces a couple of times over the last week but i'll be getting my wife and daughter to do that for me from now on i think.

I've cut back my painkillers but i don't know if its because she got me on the consulting bed yesterday and i overstretched or what but i'm a bit uncomfortable today :-(

By the way, how's your scar? mine has healed up really well, its been itchy but that's just the healing process so i'm told.

Are you on FB?

Take care

• Posted

Hi folks

I have 10 days to go until my op & it has been really good to read the positive feedback from you all, as well as the "be sensible" reminders. I have it in my head that 6 months is WAY too long to wait before I can get back on a horse, so real feedback instead of medical stuff is making a difference to my mindset.

Wilky - I've noticed you are in Scotland. Where did your op take place? I'm was supposed to be going to Gartnavel, but following their sterile supply problems, I'm now going to the Royal & would really appreciate any inside knowledge you can share!

Thanks in advance smile

• Posted

Yea I'm on Facebook wilky tina Keeler add me if you like, I've not had many pain killers at all this last week only the blood thinning tablet I have to take for 35 days after to prevent blood clots.

I think you are right actually everyone's recovery is different and as I'm feeling fine I think all is ok.

My scar is huge I was suprised how big it was from top of my leg right round to my bum its healing lovely still bit numb in places and the glues not come off much at all and it's all still intact.

Don't get worried about the opp alliecat thinking back I was so scared but so glad I did it mine was 3 weeks ago tomorrow and see what I've done allready its amazing good luck and keep in touch everyone x

• Posted

I'll friend request you, there's a pic of my scar on there, I'm surprised at the size of mine too but mine was stapled and not glued so you can see the marks from them too.

Alliecat, I was done at Forth Valley Royal in Stirlingshire. They were great with me, I was slightly over my 12 weeks but they offered me Kings Park in Stirling or Ross Hall in Glasgow within my allotted 12 weeks but I declined as my surgeon had told me they might not do it because of my age but he would as he'd seen how bad it was and how much I'd been suffering. When they phoned and offered me the alternatives I asked how much longer I'd need to wait to be done at FVR they said only a few weeks so I decided just to wait.

I hope all goes well for you, keep in touch on here and let us know how you're doing and don't worry about it, as you've seen on here its not as bad as you imagine :-)

• Posted

Hey wilky I forgot I went back to my maiden name on Facebook tina Edwards god sorry bout that I've only just added my scar pics was bit embarrassed before but sod it, I have short dark hair and wearing a patterned top I was looking for my friend request lol sorry bout that alliecat your welcome to add me too x
  • Posted

There's quite a few Tina Edwards lol are you the one in the red top, went to college in Cornwall? You'd be better looking for me Iain Wilcox picture of Hong Kong Phooey :-)
  • Posted

Met the surgeon @ Glasgow Royal today & am now feeling much happier, as he TOTALLY bought into my key driver of being able to take my horses eventing again & was happy to provide as much detail as I wanted.

I'm the 1st op of the day on Sat 27th (have to check in @ 7am), so will be up & moving the same day. Getting ceramic on ceramic joint, which is what I wanted; spinal block with enough sedation to stop me asking for a running commentary on the operation's progress & being put back together with dissolvable stiches & Super Glue, so I won't need to go back for stitch removal. cheesygrin cheesygrin cheesygrin cheesygrin

One thing that surprised me is that I will have to self inject with blood thinning drugs for 5 weeks post op. There was no mention of this at the pre-op assessment I went to in Gartnavel, which has got me wondering: Does this happen everywhere & Gartnavel just "forgot" to mention, or are the Royal actively seeking a better solution to DVT than just handing out compression stockings?

Promise I'll come back with post-op feedback. In the meantime, thanks for the info & support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.