Right Hip Replacement

Posted , 45 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 48 year old guy and I'm getting my right hip replaced next Tue 5th March. To say I'm worried is an understatement! It's not so much the op it's the waking up in pain part that's worrying me and I've got this daft thought in my head that if I bend my hip the wound will burst open, I know I'm being daft about it and loads get done every year but it's really bothering me. I've also been advised to have the epidural instead of the general, can anyone advise which is best?

3 likes, 137 replies

137 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Alliecat,

That's a strange one about the injections, both Tina and I were given tablets to take for 30 odd days after surgery for blood thinning, I still had to wear the surgical stockings for 6 weeks, not sure about Tina? We're you told you wouldn't need to wear the stockings?

That's good you're in first thing, I was too although they never had me up walking till the following day, the walking was far easier than I thought and they keep you well stocked up with pain killers. I was on a drip too at first so that had to come with me on the first day lol

By the way if you're on FB feel free to friend me :-)

• Posted

Hello

Just read your post alliecat do you mean your going to be awake during your op your very brave if you are, I do know an old lady that was awake for it don't think I could be no flipping way.

It's strange how different county's do the op differently I had a spinal block aswell as being put to sleep and I couldn't feel my legs for about 12hours after. When I got back to my room I had a drip oxygen goin up my nose blood pressure sleeve permenantly on my arm a tube coming out of my wound a catheter and compression things on both legs blowing up and down similar to blood pressure sleeve theese were kept on until my last day I don't have the stockings the tablets I take for dvt are xarelto.

I got out of my bed about 18 hours after my op and could only stand next to my bed holding onto a zimmer not until the following day when catheter was taken out could I walk to the loo.

Good luck keep posting x

• Posted

Mmm, guess injections are just different hospitals doing the same thing in a different way. They never mentioned compression stockings, so I made an assumption they wouldn't be used, but may well be wrong in that. No problems either way, I just want fixed!

Hi Tina - yes, I will be awake. The spinal block means you can't feel anything from the waist down, then they just tailor the level of sedation to suit you. It's perfectly feasible to be completely unsedated (like at the dentists) & hold conversations while they work away on your hip.

I did discuss that with the surgeon & agreed that it would be better for him to focus on his job, rather than constantly responding to me asking "Whats that noise ?" "What what you doing now ?" "Can I see?" So I'll be doped enough to be just on the verge of sleep, but not really caring what's happening.

Advantages to this over general anaesthetic are that you don't need intubation to breathe, bleed less during operation, don't need catheter & don't have the post-op hangover that GAs give. I fully expect to be asking for my lunch around noon :D

Thanks again - will keep you posted.

• Posted

Due to joint stiffness often the patient have to go through Hip Replacement operation,but an unsuccessful one could led to permanent paralysis so first try out physio therapy then if you are not benefited then consult a good orthopedic surgeon and then go for a hip replacement operation.
  • Posted

Hi Brad

Not sure if your comment was meant for me? If so, I'm pretty confident that my leisure activity of horse eventing has eliminated any chance of joint stiffness. Ex-racing Thoroughbreds don't really work in slo mo :D

One of my close friends is a physio, so I was well stretched by her & I also did 6 months of chiropractic & osteopathic treatment before accepting that I had a bigger problem than a muscle tweak or some minor pelvic misalignment.

I fully appreciate that everyone is in a different place, but personally, I'm not prepared to settle for living the rest of my life on painkillers & not being able to ride.

Surgery is very much the last resort for me & the 1/1000 risk of not being fully functional afterwards seems WAY better than what I have now.

• Posted

Yes Brad, as Alliecat says once you have exhausted exercise, physio etc bad hips are so limiting that it's important to have something done. I had both my hips replaced relatively young and wish I had had them done sooner. I kept on researching on the internet and kept coming away thinking that I should hang on for longer so that they would last longer. When I eventually realised that I was seriously considering using a wheelchair plus when my osteopath said you need to live now as you don't know what the future will bring, I realised that I needed to bite the bullet and do it.

I had one done in the Royal Orthopaedic in Birmingham and the second in the BMI Edgbaston on the NHS ward. At the BMI I was asked to inject myself at home for 6 weeks to prevent clots. Being a little needle-phobic I did have to grit my teeth and do it, but I managed fine.

• Posted

Good luck alliecat I will be thinking of you on Saturday, you will be fine I'm sure, so glad I had it done its been 4 weeks since my op and I've been out walking everyday this week about 4miles a day something I couldn't have done in a million years not long ago xxx
  • Posted

Hi Allicat

I posted my post op experiences a few days ago on another thread but maybe you didn't see it, so I'll recap as I'm sure it'll lift your spirits.

I'm 45 and late last year my persistent bad back was diagnosed as bad hips (I know, don't ask). My consultant described them as 'miserable' and 'hopeless'. On November 27th I had my right hip done and Jan 29th my left was done. Both are cementless ceramic on ceramic.

I'm a keen cyclist and was very worried what my cycling future would be. 3 weeks ago I couldn't wait any longer and ventured out for an exploratory ride. Now I'm sitting on my sofa having just ridden back from work and so far that's 134 miles this week.

I agree with your earlier comment. Looking back now it's clear how much I was suffering and and slowing it down with pills and physio wasn't an option. Your pre op physical condition helps a lot, but your mental desire to get back to the things you like will see you through.

Listen to your surgeon, your physio and your body and you'll be back doing the things you like before you know it.

Jon

• Posted

Thanks everyone! It was just s successful as I hoped, so I've now posted a separate thread as "progress report." & will keep on doing so up to the 12 week review. Your positive reports really helped manage my fears, so I'd like to give something back for anyone else who's being told they can manage on painkillers & physio treatments!

Surgery DOES WORK & life is better as a result smile

• Posted

Hello wilky13 glad to hear you are doing well. you said that you are 48 Do you know what type of hip you have is it partial or total hip, Was wondering as I was 55 and female when I had mine done due to an accident 2 years ago this Mothers Day and have been living in agony ever since and I have just found out through a new Dr that I now have to have surgery to repair what I have, I am trying so hard not to go through this again I'm trying to make this one work I was told by two surgeons that they would have never put this type in a person younger than 70 /75 so now I have to go back again, Really want to know at your age what did they use thank you and Glad to know your ok.
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I had two ceramic hips fitted when I was 52 three years ago. They have been fine. Do you know what type you have? It is hard to think of having them done again but then you sound as if you are in considerable discomfort. By the time I had mine done I regretted having waited so long due to fear of the surgery.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

My hip is titanium with a ceramic head and insert in the "cup" so it's ceramic against ceramic in the ball joint. I was told if I looked after it I could get between 20 & 25 years from it. It's a total l hip replacement that I had and by the looks of things i might need the left one done pretty soon too :-( I'm getting a lot of pain from it at the moment. What kind did you get and have they told you why you're in so much pain?

I was out walking with my wife and dog on Mon night and I stumbled and nearly went down and ever since I've been getting a kind of rubbing feeling from it so I think I'll go and get it checked to be on the safe side. I'll post and let everyone know how I get on.

Let me know how you get on Linda and if you're in a lot of needless pain wouldn't it be better to get it fixed so you can enjoy your life again? I know its been life changing for me and I'm only 9 weeks post op. they might take your one out and put in a new type that would suit you better.

Take care and keep us informed

Wilky

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 57 and had a left hip replacement 4 weeks ago. I too was worried about everything. Have the epidural...it's better for less risk of blood clots after the op. The pain was so easy to control with a morphine mix and paracetamol that after only a few days I was cutting down on it and didn't need it. You do have to be careful about certain twists and turning...but the physios will take you through everything and make it very clear what to do. Make sure you walk asap. Make your legs work and take those strides. It's important. Stairs are a bit scary with crutches to start with, but you'll soon get the hang of it. I'm now off crutches and hardly limping. The wound is still a bit sore as it knits together and the muscles are getting stronger by the day. Above all...trust the doctors and nurses...they'll be very good...but you have to push yourself to get better quicker.

• Posted

Am so glad I found this forum. Have just booked a THR for 30 August and am absolutely petrified. Am 61 years old, female. Am having an anterior MIS operation with a special operating table, leg brace. My surgeon and GP have both been discouraging about an epidural and also my daughter who was an orthopaedic nurse. All have said to have a general. Was thinking about going for a ceramic with a poly cup. Have heard that ceramic on ceramic squeak sometimes so didn't want that. Am having the op in Wrexham Spire Hospital. Am so petrified whenever I think of the actual operation but want to be able to walk again without being in pain. I used to be so active before.

It has been very encouraging reading this forum. Has anyone else had a ceramic with a poly cup. Any advice and encouragement I can get will be of so much help. Glad to know that there were people like me out there who were terrified before the op but are feeling so much better now.

• Posted

Hi Brenda

I was worried about the spinal block, but all I remember is anaesthetist telling me he was about to inject sedative & next thing, I was waking up in recovery room & asking for coffee. (which I didn't get!) From then on in, I was fully awake - able to eat lunch & dinner, read my book, chat to visitors & other patients & revel in fact that I was pain free. Unless there ar emedical reasons why a general anasthetic will be better for you, I'd recommend it!

Like Wilkie, I also have the titanium insert with ceramic head & cup. I'm 49 & my surgeon said these were better for more active people. My op was on the 27th April & I am now up to walking half a mile, 4 times a day; as well as doing loads of exercises that the physio team gave me.

There are only 3 things that I am finding difficult at this stage :

1 is sitting upright in the orthopaedic chair I was given - I am much more of a slouching on the sofa type & my bum gets numb from all this proper sitting.

2. Is not automatically bending to pick things up off the floor. Everyone was VERY clear on need not to bend too far, but it's hard to remember.

3. Is not sleeping on my operated side, as I try to roll over when half asleep. Best solution I've found to that is to get settled on opposite side (with pillow between my knees) & then build up a stack of pillows behind me, so I can't roll, even if I try. I did think that Jack Russell Terrier on bed would keep me still, but he gets bored & goes elsewhere during the night!

It honestly is like night & day pre & post op; so look forward to feeling 100% better in a short while smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.