Right sided bowel pain - colonoscopy on Friday - any support would be wonderful

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello 

I'm having a bit of a meltdown at the prospect of combined endoscopy and colonoscopy on Friday. I wondered if anyone could advise about the sedation and whether I'm better off just going for it or keeping my wits about me and just using the gas and air thing offered?

?My friend tells me I possibly won't get a choice as they prefer to do colonoscopies with mild sedation as they can be a bit uncomfortable otherwise.

?Needless to say I'm more afraid of what I may be told afterwards than the actual tests and thought I would feel better about things if I was aware of what was going on. Now I'm changing my mind. I thought I was coping (barely) but I'm in meltdown mode today.

?My only symptom is right sided pain over the bowel area which goes as low as my hip. I'm being treated for my gallbladder at the moment and scoped because my lower down pain "is not what we would consider relevant to gallbladder pain". 

?My stools have softened but no diarrhoea, they have changed colour to lighter or orangey a few times. I don't think I have ever seen blood. I am losing weight (a stone since Xmas) - but I think the weight loss has been to do with the gallbladder and maintaining a low fat diet....and recently just down to fear.

?The pain has gradually become constant but started out like a pulled muscle or was present only when I took a long walk or drove for an hour. Then I would get pain the following day like I had inflamed something. I saw a physiotherapist thinking it was muscular and had happened when I slipped on black ice but she said it wasn't muscular and to confer with my GP. 

?I appreciate that anyone diagnosed with bowel cancer has a lot to be dealing with and possibly my questions are just irritating in the scheme of things.....but I am feeling lost, very frightened and I could do with any advice that may help.

Thanks.  

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi UKjo

Yes I know what it's like to have the camera -I didn't have to have both endo-and colon at once though!

I would have sedation if I were you -it just takes longer to recover as you may feel a bit woozy afterwards. I was also afraid but at least I did get a diagnosis which I was shocked to hear-(that doesn't mean you have the same as I had)-cancer.Make sure you go with someone -as you won't be able to drive afterwards for a while.

I am a more mature woman and was terribly nervous but got through it-(with a few probs but got there in the end)!

Good Luck - hope all will go well for you.

Susan

PS am now cured of B C !

• Posted

Thank you Susan - I've calmed down a bit now and I'm pretty convinced sedation is going to be the way I go.

My other half is coming with me so no problem there.

?I've discovered there is a forum on here purely for colonoscopy comments and questions! So I've had a brief look and now feel a bit more like I know what to expect.

?I'm glad you are well - well done on the bravery front ! I'm turning out to be a real wuss apparently and giving in to fear today.

?It's just that a month or so ago I thought I'd damaged a muscle and had a dodgy gallbladder and now I'm facing what quite frankly is my greatest fear. My GP was quite dismissive and said "well it looks like we need to rule out bowel cancer."

My Dad died v quickly from cancer (lung) a long time ago now but my remembrance is just of  a lot of things missed adding up to wrong diagnosis and then he was gone. Sorry, it's stayed with me and colours my judgement.

?Anyway, thanks for your help and your being there x    

• Posted

Whether to have sedation or gas is very much a personal choice so giving advice on which to go for is difficult to do.  I went for the gas option in both of the tests that I had, on the second occasion, which was post treatment, I found that I didn't need the gas at all.  An advantage of using gas is that you are fully aware of the progress and can view the output from the camera.  It meant, in my case that I actually got to see the cancer, maybe some people would regard tis as a disadvantage but I found it to be helpful in understanding just what I was suffering.

It is all too easy to advise people not to panic but this is a natural reaction to situations like this.  What may help is for you to realise that should the diagnosis is cancer then this is not the end of the world.  Treatments these days are very effective and have a high success rate.  As you will have seen from Susan's response she is a survivor as am I, and I was 77 when diagnosed.

• Posted

Many thanks for your advice Anthony....I appreciate it. 

I think I will just shut down if I see anything on screen to be honest - so I'm thinking sedation is the better option.

?Frankly I just want Friday out of the way - I had a pain free day yesterday and felt so much happier. It's amazing how the pain returning has clouded my thoughts and left me low.

I'm aware I should just get on with things now and before we know it I will have an answer one way or another which has got to be better than the places my head is going when dwelling on it endlessly!

?I really appreciate your positivity and taking time to drop me a line. Long may you continue with your good health! 70's are the new 50's by the way....at least that's what my 75 year old Aunt tells me. 

?Best, J

• Posted

Anthony....hoping you won't mind a question. Had you had a CT scan before you underwent the diagnostic colonoscopy?

I've just received word that my CT scan with contrast was "fine" but that's as much info as I got sadly.

Guess I'm clinging at straws hoping it might mean things aren't so bad but I really don't know what to make of it.

Thanks for any help.

J

• Posted

I had the CT scan after the endoscopy.  The colonoscopy part of the process found the cancer but the process is not precise when it comes to location so the CT scan was used to point out where it was so the surgeon could work out how to deal with it.  If your CT scan was 'fine' (presumably meaning that nothing was seen) then I would be surprised if you have cancer because these are shown up quite clearly on scans.  I would assume that the reason for your endoscopy session is to look for other potential problems.

Whatever the reason for the tests, I hope it all goes well on Friday.

• Posted

Thank you so very much for responding and I do feel a little better having read your response.

Your sharing your experience helps me understand what is happening around me - I was confused as to whether a CT scan would actually show the bowel clearly.

I haven't had a chance to ask!!

My consultants secretary was obviously very busy (!) & cut off any line of questioning with just " Mr. X says the scan was fine" . This was the only news I got.

My GP threw out a somewhat dismissive comment about ruling out bowel cancer when the consultant ordered a colonoscopy and I think I've just stupidly festered on my own since then.

Of my 2 best friends, one is dealing with cancer up close (her other half ) and the other has just been diagnosed with a complex heart condition so I am not wanting to go to either of them with my problems.

Being in pain doesn't make me a particularly nice person to be around & also takes my confidence. On form I would have demanded information from Mr X's secretary & I'm still smarting that I was so easily dismissed.

I'm so sorry to have been asking you for help - but maybe telling you the above explains a little why.

I'm very aware that there's a choice with forums where you can just read & move on without engaging in discourse - so for you to help it really means so much. Thank you for bothering to come back to me. I'll let you know how things go - J

• Posted

Hi there. I hope you're not using Dr. Google too much! I did and still do, but it's not a good idea as others will agree. I had mild sedation for my two and remember everything. I was fascinated by the screen images and don't think I stopped talking. No nerves during it but as with most people, very apprehensive leading up to it! They need you to be able to respond to instructions. My cancer was shown by a CT scan and I believe they are very accurate. Best wishes, looking forward to your report. By the way, my cancer was a complete blockage but they cut it all out and after over four years, all is well. 

• Posted

Hi John

Thank you for your response....once again I'm very grateful that you took the trouble to write and offer me advice and reassurance.

I think sedation is still appealing at the moment - I'll see how I feel about watching any screens once things are underway & hopefully I'll have an experience similar to yours & feel relaxed. I'll admit I'm scared it will hurt & worried I may lash out & kick somebody - imagine that sounds a bit nuts!

Really pleased to read your outcome and wish you the very best for continuing good health.

Yes, I'll post after my tests and believe me, Dr Google is not where I want to be!! Had to convince myself posting a question on here was a good idea but I've visited other forums here re gallbladder etc & people are really helpful.

Anyway, thanks again and take care. J

• Posted

Ukjo I see you had lots of help on this and agree its a personal decision I personally would rather have sedation and unless you have underlying conditions its supposed to be very safe I've had mild sedation a lot lately I'd rather not know the scope going down my throat just thought I would mention it and I would rather not know if my gag reflex is doing things

• Posted

Tonie16159....you've just raised a v good point. I think I've been so fixated on the colonoscopy part of the test that I've not thought through the upper endoscopy.

All things considered - for me - I think it needs to be sedation.

Thank you very much for writing, I appreciate it.

J

• Posted

Ukjo as the others have said the prep is the worst you are booked up to machines to monitor you closely while separated hooked up not booked up sedated lol I hope they don't seperate you will have answers please let us know

• Posted

Hey i hope this message finds you well. I had both done at the same time and i was put to sleep. Both procedures lasted about 30 minutes in total. I think you should go for it and im sure everything will be fine. I will keep you in my prayers
    • Posted

Thank you Julia! 30 mins isn't so bad is it?

If I keep that in mind it will help.

I've decided on sedation now as I think it's the better choice for me.

Thank you also for keeping me in mind. I appreciate your thoughts.

J

• Posted

Hi! I had my first ever colonoscopy yesterday. The doctor suggested trying without sedation so I agreed to try and it honestly wasn't bad. It was uncomfortable when the camera went around bends. The procedure was surprisingly quick. I also had horrible anxiety about my symptoms and what they were going to find... but turns out everything is ok. They didn't find anything. Please go ahead with your test.. no need to fear. The worst part is the prep and having to be near a toilet all day... plus hungry since you can't eat but seriously.. it was fine. The worst part of it all was the anxiety I'd built in my head.

• Posted

Really appreciate your input Ashley94333....I'm so pleased to hear you got through the test ok and also that your results are good! Fantastic news.

I begin taking prep in an hour and then again an hour after that - I was amused that in my instructions it says "go to bed when you are ready". How kind!

I don't know whether I will be up and down all night but I'm hopeful that it will be over fairly quickly (?) and then I can get a bit of rest. More prep early tomorrow morning & the test is early afternoon.

Thanks again for the support - I'm really grateful to people for taking the trouble to write.

Best, J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.