Right sided bowel pain - colonoscopy on Friday - any support would be wonderful

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello 

I'm having a bit of a meltdown at the prospect of combined endoscopy and colonoscopy on Friday. I wondered if anyone could advise about the sedation and whether I'm better off just going for it or keeping my wits about me and just using the gas and air thing offered?

?My friend tells me I possibly won't get a choice as they prefer to do colonoscopies with mild sedation as they can be a bit uncomfortable otherwise.

?Needless to say I'm more afraid of what I may be told afterwards than the actual tests and thought I would feel better about things if I was aware of what was going on. Now I'm changing my mind. I thought I was coping (barely) but I'm in meltdown mode today.

?My only symptom is right sided pain over the bowel area which goes as low as my hip. I'm being treated for my gallbladder at the moment and scoped because my lower down pain "is not what we would consider relevant to gallbladder pain". 

?My stools have softened but no diarrhoea, they have changed colour to lighter or orangey a few times. I don't think I have ever seen blood. I am losing weight (a stone since Xmas) - but I think the weight loss has been to do with the gallbladder and maintaining a low fat diet....and recently just down to fear.

?The pain has gradually become constant but started out like a pulled muscle or was present only when I took a long walk or drove for an hour. Then I would get pain the following day like I had inflamed something. I saw a physiotherapist thinking it was muscular and had happened when I slipped on black ice but she said it wasn't muscular and to confer with my GP. 

?I appreciate that anyone diagnosed with bowel cancer has a lot to be dealing with and possibly my questions are just irritating in the scheme of things.....but I am feeling lost, very frightened and I could do with any advice that may help.

Thanks.  

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hope everyone gets to see this...not sure if I need to post to you individually? Here goes nothing and I can try again tomorrow when I'm not so tired if I've messed up.

I am fine everyone! I have gastritis but my colon is clear. And I watched the whole thing just like some of you told me you did.

Thanks for all the advice. Sedation was great & I was just fine. Had painkiller injected too as by the time we arrived my right sided pain was cranking up.

It wasn't an experience I'd be frightened of if I had to do it again. Thanks to what I'd read on here about the scopes and your help I wasn't so scared once we got to hospital.

The Dr who performed the tests asked me lots of questions - which kept me occupied & also helped him form an opinion on what's going on with me. He wrote up I should get my back scanned for potential damage from when I slipped on the ice. MRI I think? I may be groggy on this. He also wondered if I had a grumbling appendix ( has been mentioned before) that wasn't flaring when I had ultrasound or CT and so didn't show.

Either way, I feel comforted that a lot of things were ruled out. I got through it without kicking anyone. I can now get some sleep.

I'm humbled that you bothered to help me. Thank you all and keep on keeping well wherever you are.

Best to all, J x

• Posted

Ukjo I'm glad you got good news hope you stay well

• Posted

I'm so pleased that you came through the test with no problems found, it must be a big load off your mind.

• Posted

That's great to read! Your support comes from as far away as New Zealand. Sleep well. 💤

• Posted

Jo- Great news -so pleased major probs ruled out!

Very best wishes

Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.