Right sided upper chest pain when moving or pushing down on chest

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have really bad health anxiety and for the past few weeks my upper chest has been hurting/aching when moving my head or neck or shoulder certain ways. It hurts to press down it feels almost brusied but it's not.it's mostly right under my collarbone. Has anyone else had this????I'm terrified of lung cancer and I'm only 33sad

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I've had this. I pulled my muscle moving. And because of my HA I had myself in a panic for weeks. I'd push on and move my arm all day. All that did was keep in sore. I finally broke down and went to the dr. That's another story all together. I have panic about doing that also. She said to use a heating pad on it. Off and on for a few days on low. Once I stopped playing with it. It went away in a few days.
    • Posted

It's in my upper chest below my collarbone. When I push on it it's so sore and I don't k ow if it's related but I do have arm pain too. My chest hurts when I push something or stretch my shoulders back and when I push on the chest
    • Posted

It also hurts sometimes to take a deep breath in
    • Posted

Well any muscles in that are would hurt when u take a deep breath. You are moving the injured area. Maybe you injured both the chest and arm? Try and calm down. I say go see the dr. This panic stuff we have is awful. I was just to the dr this am for an ear infection that I swore was a brain tumor. Turns out it's just some congestion in my ear. I had myself all worked up.
    • Posted

My health anxiety has been so bad for 5 months. The thoughts that go through my head are so real and debilitating. I started thinking it was a lung tumor pressing on my nerves sad I hate this so bad. I have been smoking off and on bc I have been so stressed. I only smoke about 5 a day but I am so scared of evwry ache and pain. I went to the dr and they told me is costochondritis and tension from stress bt it won't go awaysad
  • Posted

This sounds exactly like what I have right now, the doc said costochondritis. Google it if you want but it's basically just the inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs. It hurts me to move, twist, bend down and press on my chest. Even wearing a seatbelt causes pain.

The fact you said it hurts when you touch your chest suggests it's more musculoskeletal (I think that's the right word?) rather than cardiac/lung related. That's exactly what my doc told me. Take anti-inflammatory pills like ibuprofen. If it doesn't clear up and you're still worried then maybe see your GP for reassurance.

Hope you're feeling better soon smile x

• Posted

My head just goes and I think oh well maybe I have a lung tumor pressing on the nerves and it's causing pain in the chest when I push on it. It's never ending. It hurts when I push a heavy drawer in and pull it out and when I turn my head it pains in the chest and on my neck too. I am really tense I k ow I have been for a while but a few months ago I was moving my shoulder back and forth and all of the sudden I got this cold sensation down my arm like I compressed the nerves or artery or somwthing so ever since I have been really worried about. I also have really bad posture but I worry about every ache pain and sensation sad
    • Posted

That's anxiety for you, it convinces you that you have these things. Think of it this way, if you really had a lung tumour (Which I highly HIGHLY doubt) you'd have trouble breathing and all sorts of complications. And I'm not saying what you have is definitely costochondritis like me, but let me tell you it can cause some serious pain and it's pretty much harmless in a sense. Try and rest a bit, no heavy lifting or unnecessary bending smile
    • Posted

My dr told me it was costochondritis last week when I saw her but I still worry thinking all kinds of either things. I have had one thing after another. I was getting random bruises on my legs convined it was a serious cancer or something amd the dr said my blood work was all normal and it was prob a combination of not eating properly or hardly at all on top of laying down all day and also she said she has seen it in some people on antidepressants.
    • Posted

So now I'm like maybe it really is a lung tumor and the bruising was from poor circulation from the tumor I can't get these thoughts put of my head it's totally exhausting and debilitating and it's so real to ussad
  • Posted

Hi

I'm sorry your going thru this. I had costcondritis for 2 years.  I can tell you all the symptoms, you will feel bruised in the rib cage area, also you will feel pain if you push on the ribs between the breasts where the V goes from left to right, you may also have pain if sleeping on the affected side, mine was on the right and boy i had mornings where I could hardly move, when you take a deep breath it will feel tight and hurt, you can referral pain into the shoulder, collar bone and arm, but mostly the rib will feel bruised and sore,  I found the best thing for was asper creme and ibuprofen, the asper creme stops pain and imflammation and this is what needs to happen, also heating pads are great to, i used one all the time, you may also want to get some of those heating things you can stick on coz they last all day.  What is happening with it is the ribs and the layered membrain in the rib cage are inflammed so they get sore.  I also thought it was my heart and lungs, but going to the ER they pushed on the ribs in the middle of the chest and I thought OMG, the pain was it.  I can tell you it took years for mine to heal, but of course I had helped someone move 3 times during that time, so healing took longer, But try the asper creme, it works great.  I hope you feel better and try to rest its the best thing for it.  

Patty

• Posted

Thanks so much. That is what I'm feeling it feels brusied. I have been laying in bed for 5 months bow bc of my my severe anxiety. I can't cope I keep thinking something serious is wrong and I keep waiting thinking somwthing bad is going to happen to me soon. I don't know what to do I cry evry day is debilitating and no one understands how it feels. I live in fear everyday scared to do anything. I keep getting all kinds of sensations and everytime it send me into a panicsad if my leg goes numb I panic pins and needles buzzing sensations feel like something is on me but its not when I touch it muscle twitches everywhere I feel like this is never going to end I have never felt so bad sad
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel, I am having the anxiety problem, every tiny thing that my body does sends me into craziness.  So what I've been doing is when I have a sensation I try to just let it pass, the more we can do that the better off we are.  My biggest problem now is dizziness, I have it all the time, I constantly feel like i'm rocking and swaying, I sit, stand and walk and its there.  So I of course thought heart attack or brain issue and have been to 4 docs and all is ok except for my inner ear they believe its causing this so I'm waiting til the end of March to start rehab therapy for it.  In the meantime I have it plus now headaches, vision is off at time, muscles in the upper shoulders and neck ache to the point of fear and cause worsening dizziness, hands shake at times, vibrations in my legs and  feet, sore legs, numbness in the back of the neck, and more i just can't remember.  I have also started deep breathing when i feel anxious and that helps.  

I know the costo causes a lot of pain and anxiety, but believe me its notthing to worry about, i know easier said than done.  Maybe you can look up the trigger points for costo online and look at the images and how it shows you the places it hurts and describes it .  I don't know if we are aloud to put attachments on but if  so let me know and i'll see what I can send you.  I have the whole trigger point manual for the body and you would be suprised whats in it.  I wish I could make you believe this is all it is,  If the docs thought it was something worse they would find it.  But costo is not something and MRI can see because its in the muscles and membrane of the rib cage.  

I know anxiety is hard, it takes over our thoughts and we need to know we are okay, and you are okay.  Let me know about the links if i can help you.  i will  send them.

Feel better

Patty 

• Posted

Hi patty thank you it means alot. I guess you can't post links but you can private message. Is it okay if I private message you?
    • Posted

2 YEARS?!! I know your message was for Soanxious but I have costo and the pain is unbearable, only been dealing with it for a month or so! sad
    • Posted

Hi

Of course you can private message me, altho I'm sure how to do that. I'm guessing in my email.  Let me know.

• Posted

Hi Chenise16

I had mine so long because I had helped someone move 3 times and everytime I did it came back, because it wasn't completely healed.  Try the asper creme it really helps. 

Hope you feel better.

Patty

• Posted

It's through this site. Up at the top there is a little maIL envelope icon and that's where your messages go
    • Posted

hi patty818, also have the same problem which you have mentioned. I also have pain in my chest since 2 years and I consulted with many doctors and all of them saying everything is alright. I think i also have costro... and please help me to get rid of this , i mean what to do so .And i also have question weather this pain will be cured or it will be like this through out my life...

reply soon 

• Posted

Hi I was hoping maybe u could give me some insight in the 2 please I am also manicdepressent BI polar anxity ptsd but tonight I am so calm more than I ever have been in my life but this pain OMG I CANT TAKE I FEEL WEAK TO LIKE COULD PASS OUT ABOUT A DAY AGO JUST RIGHT SIDE OF MY THROAT HURTS LIKE I CAN FEEL A LUMP KNOW ITS DOWN INTO MY COLLAR BONE AND TOP CHEST AREA AND TO SHOULDER AND DOWN TO TJE MIDDLE OF MY ARM ON RIGHT SIDE IM SCARED I HAVE NEVER FELT THIS AMOUNT OF PAIN IN MY LIFE AND I HAVE 3 KIDS PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE THANK YOU
    • Posted

Can u give me some insight on COSTCO PLEASE I HAVE TERRIBLE PAIN IN MY THROAT TO INTO COLLAR BONE AND TOP CHEST AREA AND TOP ARM DOWN HALFWAY THE ARM ALL RIGHT SIDE WORST PAIN I HAVE FELT IN MY LIFE AND I HAVE 3 KIDS ALSO FEEL GRUGGY AND DIZZY PLEASE ANY INSIGHT U COULD PASS ON I WOULD LOVE GOD BLESS YOU

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.