Rising PSA

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum and trying to get some answers. My PSA test went from 1.1 Dec 2017-1.2 June 2018 then 1.7 Oct 2019. Im 51 and prostate cancer do run in my family. I had DRE in DEC 2017 and apart from moderate enlargement everything was good. I will be seeing the urologist next month and request another DRE along with a biopsy. Just wanted to know if I should be concerned. Thanks for your in put in advance.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would think not, that's a very small amount of movement and well below the number (4.0) that should cause concrrn.

• Posted

Hi Winn , I think my main concern which I should have mentioned previously, I also had it checked AUG 2019 and it was still 1.2 then when I checked again OCT 2019 it was up 1.7. Now to my understanding your numbers can fall below normal and you can still have prostate cancer. I have heard of individuals being diagnosed with much lower numbers. 1.2-1.7 in two months have me a little worried since PC runs in the family. Thanks for your response in advance.

• Posted

I totally understand your concern. There are a couple of non evasive test your Dr can perform that would give you a bit more certainty.

• Posted

As mentioned i will see my urologist next month in the mean time i will b proactive and get t another psa/ free psa and see what things look like.

• Posted

1.2 to 1.7 is nothing and is consistent with benign enlargement. Get an MRI and, if negative and normal PSA density, follow up your PSA every 6 months.

If you get a biopsy, the doctor may find gleason 6 cancer which is considered benign and should be followed and you may get talked into surgery/radiation for a condition that does not warrant this aggressive approach

• Posted

Hi Eric like I was explaining to Winn earlier I also checked my psa in Aug 2019 and it was 1.2 then when I rechecked it this month it was 1.7. That jump have me freaked out especially with the history of PC in the family. I hope that jump is due to BPH and not worse . I will still follow up with my Urologist next month and do some additional testing. I will let you know how goes. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

I Know this is a stressful time.. a jump in your PSA score is unsettling. This has to be reviewed against your longer term testing scores..the standard was a PSA of 4 or higher flagged further investigation.. however some experts also watch the velocity of change. Other issues ie infection can cause temporary spikes in PSA.. in summary this is a concern but don't panic ...

• Posted

I am trying not panic. I will see my urologist next month in the mean time i will b proactive and get t another psa/ free psa and see what things look like. Thanks for your input.

• Posted

Hello

Sorry to hear that you are here but that's what this is for a little helpful information.

All i would say for now is when you get a biopsy don't let them do the biopsy in their office get it where they put you out

hope all goes well

Henry

• Posted

Hope it does to.. maybe I'm overreacting.. either way i will keep all posted. Thanks for your input.

• Posted

As others have written: this is not a source of concern. Your PSA rise is not alarming. Also I would recommend NO biopsy at this stage. You could have a MRI which is pretty definitive and is non invasive. Or you could wait until the PSA >2 before having the MRI.

• Posted

Hey Barney it jumped from 1.2 Aug 2019 to 1.7 Oct 2019, you dont think thats to much to soon?

• Posted

Hello fella,

Personally, i dont think you have to be really concerned.

You are young, and i think that as your Psa is not remarkedy high, that thr Dr will suggest ."watch n wait"

Just wait n see, dont be too worried

Cheers

Henry

• Posted

The normal PSA value is usually stated to be less than 4.0. However, because of the fact that benign enlargement of the prostate gland tends to occur as men get older, an age-adjusted scale has been developed: 0-2.5: Normal for a man 40-50 yrs. 2.5-3.5: Normal for a man 50-60 yrs.

• Posted

There really is no normal. There are "reference ranges".

A person can have a PSA of 2 with cancer and someone can have a PSA of 1,000 and no cancer.

• Posted

do you use the same lab? if not repeat the last one at the same lab.

• Posted

1. Always use the same lab as different labs have different ways of measuring.
      2. BUT if you are surprised with a result, by all means take it to another lab to test. Usually the two labs' results will be close but not identical eg 0.16 and 0.18
    • Posted

Ive always done it at it at the same lab. I read that sex within 24 -48 hrs of test can cause increase in numbers which im guilty off. I will retest next week before i see doctor then go from there.

• Posted

I don't know how true that claim on sex is. I've also heard that bike riding can cause changes in PSA.

I suggest you wait 2 weeks rather than a week before retesting.

• Posted

Hi to all, I was ghost for couple of days while I further investigated my rising psa. For this I apologize. I had a new psa/free psa test done this pass wed at the same lab and the results were 2.1/ 19% which indicates psa still rising and free psa abnormal. I will see my Urologist next week so I can request a 3Tmpmri and a fusion biopsy of the prostate. I will keep all posted. Thanks for your support.

• Posted

By all means have the MRI but do not rush to a biopsy as that is a BIG deal and should be avoided UNLESS the MRI indicates you have say a PIRADS 4 problem.

• Posted

Thanks barney for your advice. I will be getting the MRI next week and depending on results possible biopsy. Thanks again for your information.

• Posted

Also important is that an expert in prostate images reports on the MRI. Most facilities do not have experts in one organ put have generalists. These generalists can miss key issues that an expert would not.

Ask a urologist you hold in high regard who should report on the MRI.

Good luck.

• Posted

One more thing.

If and when you decide on a biopsy, make sure you first decide who should operate on you if you end up needing surgery.

Choose the surgeon you want to operate on you (if you end up having surgery) to do the biopsy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.