Ritalin CFS

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey, 11 months into my CFS. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried low dose ritalin to ease the fatigue and brain fog ? It's basically following pu on the info i posted about the Synergy trial. My GP is fully on board with this idea. Lord knows days like today i could use a little pick me up.

'A pilot trial combining  low-dose Ritalin and mitochondrial and immune enhancing supplements, however, found that over 70% of patients received ‘clinically significant’ benefits from the drug. Some participants in the trial were able to return to work.  A double-blinded, placebo controlled trial  called the Synergy trial is under way.'

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi David, I remember reading your post about the trial. I didn't think it would be an option over here, but if you do try it out I'd love to hear about the results - especially if they are positive!

• Posted

Hi Emma,

There is a pubmed article about it being effective for CFS especially in the areas of fatigue and concentration. I am looking forward to the results of the synergy trial. My GP nearly prescribed me ritaln a few weeks back when i spoke to him about it being used for CFS as it is a cheap drug. The way i have been feeling this week i do wonder whether i should now ask for it so i can have a 'boost' on these bad days. To be honest i've never had good concentration anyway even when wellnd i foten found myself multi tasking and generally daydreaking lots. I should have probably got something like this years ago as i am classic OCD/ADD.

I don't think it is a cure BUT if it canllow me to get out the house and walk around, to feel half normal, to have energy to laugh, go shopping ..great !

• Posted

I think that's it - I'm constantly hearing that there is no cure - but something that would attribute to energy and act as a crutch would be heading in the right direction! So far I'm trying a more natural route to recovery (supplements, diet...) and I'm not a fan of 'covering' illness using chemicals - but after 11 months of this I'm pretty open to it if it allows me to live rather than exist!

• Posted

Hi Emma, i can't tell you how 'un-natural' this mindset is to me, to use drugs to help as i was training in naturopathy before my illness. But i have been patient and tried lots of things with minimal success, i am very frustrated.

So weird, BUT i do think there is a place for drugs to help, i think if temporarilly my energy can increase, that would allow me to still incorporate healthy eating etc into my life with the goal of eventually living drug free.

I found this post on another forum with regards to using Adderal for CFS, it's soundsd promising.

'I have suffered with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for over 10 years with NO help until very recently! I began taking Adderall and to date, it has been the only effective thing I have found. If you are like me and feel like you have been hit by a truck every morning when you get out of bed, then it might be worth a try. I still feel horrible when I first wake up, but I know that if I can just get up and take that little blue pill, I will be able to function throughout the day. Also, since it is an ADD medicine, it helps tremendously with the fog and inability to concentrate that many people with CFS (including me) suffer from. For the first time in over 10 years, I can think clearly again. The only problem is that it works so well that you forget that you have CFS and can begin to over work yourself. I have recently discovered that you can still "crash" even on Adderall, so don't push yourself because you feel good. But, the time you are down isn't as long or as hopeless. Stick to your limits and it will help. It is wonderful!'

• Posted

Hi David

You said that your GP "nearly" prescribed you Ritalin...can I ask you why he did not prescribe it to you, if it is not too personal a question?!

Thankssmile

• Posted

I said i didn't want it, at that time. So GP willing to prescribe as he said it was a cheap drug.
    • Posted

Thanks for this David, I have an appointment with a doctor in 2 weeks who is going to say whether or not this is what I have. If it is I'm asking about trying these medications-imagine being able to function through the whole day! :-)
    • Posted

Adderall only helped me for one day and that was 10mg. Slowly increased to 30mg. Nothing. After a few days hopefully I can try a new med.
  • Posted

My typing sucks on here !!cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi David

I have also read about the Synergy trial..!

Are you based in the UK? because if you are that is excellent news if your GP  is willing to look at this treatment!smile

• Posted

Yes, based in the UK, Scotland. Almost not the UK. cheesygrin

Oh god i hope i have a few 'good days' ahead of me, this is horrible.

• Posted

Hi David

Hahaha...could have needed a passport if it had gone the other way!eek

I am really sorry to hear you having it very rough at the moment!

After 12years "fighting" this condition I have relapsed more times

than you can shake a stick at!! I have severe M.E.

All I can do when I get so bad is to lie down in a very dark room,

with eye mask, and ear plugs, no external stimulation at all, and

sleep!...sometimes for days!

I have managed to sit outside for about 1hour whenever we have

had some sunshine(been a great summer in lancashire) so ended

up with a little bit of a suntan!!...well everyone thinks I'm cured cos

I look so flipping healthy instead of my usual grey colour!!redface 

I wish it was so simple...a bit of sun hey presto cured??!!rolleyes

• Posted

How did your 'ME' begin ?

Well i managed to get out, was driven to the shops, but meet some people that knew me from Tesco and they noticed how ill i am looking. I just hope this is a relapse and i will get bacl to where i was last week.

• Posted

The thing about M.E. is that you don't look ill and that is why people get confused and say 'you do look wee' IF ONLY
    • Posted

Hi David

The M.E. began in 2002 following a poisonous insect bite on my last day

in the USA.  Fever began just as I arrived back in UK.

On antibiotics for 6months but did not recover, carried on working for a further 12months until body came to complete standstill in early 2003 then bedridden for months!

Diagnosed  with M.E. in 2006!

In 2010 had Mitochondrial Function Test which showed very poor mito function and trace amounts of an organochlorine(Pentachlorophenol),

enough to block or slow down the energy production process!

So energy levels are always extremely low!

I hope you see some improvement soon Davidsmile

• Posted

Hi, wow. I think it's possible something like that has happened ot me. I remember i felt unwell Nov2013 and carried on as you do, but each week it increased where mid December i felt like i had been hit with a super flu, and this lasted about 8 weeks, but from that i was left with ridiculous fatigue considering i was a triathlete, the fatigue has never gone, it waxes and wanes. My heartbeat always feels very weak. I have improved this morning and already threw myself out for a 30min walk but i feel unwell and hate it. You might want to visit Kiki Health and try their E3 Renew Me formula, they have a money back guarantee if you feel it's not working. I'm on it as of today.

Take care

• Posted

Hi David

Thanks for the advice about E3 Renew Me formula, I will look into that!

When you told me your were a triathlete I did wonder whether you could have been bitten by something or even picked up something in the water?

The bite does not have to be poisonous but the insect can pass on a million and one things that could have affected your body.

Lyme disease is carried as you probably know by deer ticks very common here but not many GPs know about it?!

I don't know if you have been tested for this but it could be worth a try?

If you haven't I would research the tests because there are two types

and one of them is not as reliable!

The problem we have as soon as we feel a little bit better then we do something that then throws us back so it then becomes a cycle of relapsing which is really difficult to get out of?!

Hope your day improves Davidsmile

• Posted

Hi,

Yes i have been tested for lyme by ELISA method and western blot, both neagtive. But the whole lyme thing is so grey you are left wondering if you still have it. And there are issues with these expensive private tests being legititmate.

I guess i feel i don't have it because i am in no pain, i would suspect that after potentially one year with it i would have more symptoms, not sure, it's a nightmare. I'm looking into attending in England. Basically they test you PROPERLY for EVERYTHING, you might want to take a look at their CFS investigations and protocols. I'm going to see if i can get a referral from my GP as many people can get it. Otherwise tests/treatments would be in the region of £5000.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.