rivaroxaban

Posted , 27 users are following.

I've been on warfarin for just over a year and have to be on it for life but want to change to Rivaroxaban as there is no regular INR checks. My GP said that it can't be done as no-one has ever been on Rivaroxaban long term. Can anybody tell me if this is correct? or have I been fobbed off.

2 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Beware the new anticoagulants!  I was put on Apixaban 2 months ago, then swopped to Rivoraxaban.  I developed chronic indigestion and nausea on Apixaban, was then diagnosed with oesophagitis and a stomach ulcer.  My GP says that it is fairly common to develop gastric cmplaints after taking these drugs.  She also confirmed the difficulties with reversal in case of an internal bleed.  I am now waitng t go on Warfarin, once the ulcer has healed.
    • Posted

Thank you ...i was on wwarfarin and changed to Rivaroxaban. ..big mistake
    • Posted

Sorry cut off...rivaroxaban really affected my stomach too and my body seemed to ache all over...i we are all ddifferent aaren't we...gGood luck to you 😊
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Pam, maybe swapping isn't a good plan after all. The reason I was going to swap, was the regular testing was stopping me get another job after I was made redundant from the college I was working at as a Lecturer. Employers see bloodclot on the application form and thats usually it as they know you have to go for testing. I had no idea that you can develop ulcers and other problems from the new anticoagulants.

• Posted

Can you not arrange for testing at your GP's surgery at a convenient time? Some pharmacies now do testing or you could buy your own machine and phone your results to your surgery as housebound patients do.

Way back at the company I worked for a man had to go to hospital once a month for blood letting as he produced too much blood. As companies over a certain size were supposed to employ a 'disabled' people he was encouraged to register as disabled and the company happily allowed him a morning off each month.   

• Posted

Like  Derek has posted Rivaroxaban I have been on Warfarin for some time , have my own CoaguChek XS test meter and if you can stretch to the £250.00 average price then this seems the best option . I have ,for the last eighteen months been able to average close to the target INR of 2.5 so it can be done . As on long term Warfarin there is no VAT , your local surgery usually provides test-strips ,and lancets as consumables and if you want to go back to having your nurse doing a regular INR  monitoring then you can always resell your meter on E-bay for slightly less. I have no known side effects and it has thankfully not affected any aspect of my life so far . As with most meds , have a system to ensure you have the right dose daily or as directed . I was fortunate to be in a position where I was involved with many GPs ,nurses and ANPs in different locations . One in particular was a really inspirational character to me and I have luckily been able to go much further than most patients in learning about Warfarin and alternatives . Good luck !
    • Posted

Knowing of the alternatives you have stayed with warfarin? What convinced you of that?

I'm seeing my GP this afternoon and will will be discussing this again.... he knows how I feel about all drugs!

One concern I had the last time I was on Warfarin at the practice was that I was started initially on 10mg and gradually reduced. When the hospital put me on it after first going into AF after my AVR they started me on 4mg and gradually increased it. The first 30 days on Warfarin are the most dangerous. The high initial doses are supposed to be for those in immediate danger and also not for old Guys like me.

• Posted

Derek .. Warfarin is a long time tested drug , I have no side effects , stable on about 2.7 INR, no probs with self-testing ,BMI is OK ,cholesterol OK , BP safe and normal , fitter than average my age group .. 10mg seems high but you were most likely at risk at the time .  Biggest deterrent for me was no antidote at present for three main alternatives , also risk of side effects and relatively short time on general release for prescription . Hope you get this before appointment .
    • Posted

My problem with Warfarin is pain in my weight bearing joints when walking. It started each time within a month of taking the drug and stopped within three weeks after stopping it.  Making cycling type movements is OK it is when weight is on the joints. A neighbour has the same problem when walking but can ride her bike.... her cycle helmet covers her thining hair:-)

Actually she now wears a wig.

The first time I stopped Warfarin my doctor said that I was the third patient to that week.

The answer for me is to have a Watchman Device or Amplatzer Plug fitted. I have already spoken to a private hospital about the Watchman.

The cardiologist is willing to refer me for an Amplatzer Plug as an NHS patient but not until I see him for a pacemaker follow up in six months.    

• Posted

Get yourself a 'Coaguchek machine...test yourself when you need to and phone results to surgery. It is so easy to use.

The GP's don't want you to do it yourself as they get paid...but stand your ground...our lives are now free to do what we want when we want.

• Posted

Mick's hair falls out if the INR goes above 2.1...and he gets blood blisters all over his back and his eyes bleed...plus he gets really nasty.
    • Posted

No not at high risk my GP says that is the the standard they are advised to work to. First three days at 10mg before first INR test and then 5mg for four days before checking INR again.
  • Posted

yep, we are all different. I started to pee blood 6 days after being put on Rivaroxaban which went away after a further 4 days. I also developed a pain in my right shoulder almost like a muscle strain which completely dissappeared when i was taken off it 3 weeks ago    
    • Posted

I am in the horns of a dilemma. With intermittent AF I have twice had a cardioversion so had to be on Warfarin prior to it. Each time I developed pain in my weight bearing joints, toes, ankles, knees and hips. When stopping Warfarin the pains went and I have relied on aspirin since June 2014.

I had a pacemaker fitted ten days ago and told that rivaroxaban would be a better drug for me prior to having either an ablation or another cardioversion.

I hear more stories of minor niggling side effects with the newer drugs than with warfarin and frankly they scare me more than warfarin.  

• Posted

Oh gosh what a gamble it all is, I have been on warfarin doe three years. DVT and multiple PE's, factor 5 inherited condition.

Not a huge problem with getting tested but it did fluctuate quite a lot so fortnightly trip was necessary.

I had lots of discussions with warfarin nurse, gp who referred me to consultant, back to gp and I took my first rivoroxiban today. It is true there are no antidotes but the Consultant told me that in an emergency putting a patient on a dialysis machine did help the blood clot, plus as soon as you take the pill it begins to leave you (24 hours),

So now I can eat my veg and if anything occurs side effect wise I can return to warfarin

Good luck to everyone and it seems a personal decision along with bits of useful info is up to us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.