Robotic hysterectomy in 4 days and i am terrified

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am scheduled to have a full hysterectomy on Tuesday July 25 and all I want to do is run for the foor.  I can't stop crying and getting all nervous.  Can anyone please give me some things I need to know, what to expect and so on.  I am freaking out.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It must be very scary and worrying. What is the reason for your hysterectomy? Remember this and stay positive.

There are lots of tips of what to take with you in other discussions happening presently, such as mint tea, your own pillow, v cushion, big panties, loose clothing, take all pain meds offered, prepare meals now for when you home. And rest up after as much as possible!

Good luck and keep chatting on here x

• Posted

I have the BRACA gene and had breast cancer in 2009 so to hopefully prevent ovarian cancer this is what the doc suggested I do.  What is a v cusion?

I am trying to stay posotive but its hard

• Posted

Hi Cara. It's a U or V shaped pillow. Good for leaning back on or laying across your tummy. Like the ones used for breastfeeding. Lots of women have found one useful post op.

• Posted

I will have my husband get me one if I need it.  I have a large body pillow and planned to use that if I needed it.
  • Posted

Hi I remember the feeling well, I told everyone here I was going to run away to a desert island and forget all about it, but......................I didn't, could afford the air fare so went to hospital instead, believe me when I say, it's not as bad as you expect it to be, it certainly wasn't for me, Maisie is right about the loose clothing, also don't forget to wera night dresses not PJ's, sorry but I wasn't going to wear a hospital gown for my stay, take some photo's to put on your bedside table so you can feel closer to home/loved ones, I was 61 at the time and I took a teddy bear with me, I kid you not, it was something to hug, the nurses all thought it was cute, take something to read, I had a tablet so that I could email after my op to let folk know I was ok also took my mobile, you never feel quite so cut off from folk today wherever you may be.

We will be thinking of you on Tuesday, let us know how you get on.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

I plan to pack a teddy bear, thats a great idea thank you

All I want to do is run, i am so scred but all your kind words are helping so much more than I thought they could.

I bought 2 very loose dresses, will I be able to wear pants or shorts at all?

I have an insulin pumo so I need to know

• Posted

By pants do you mean knickers or trousers? sorry never sure where folk are posting from, if trousers then probably no but knickers yes but possibly not for the first 24 hours after surgery as you usually have a catheter in, though not always, Is your insulin pump light enough to pin? if not then you quite possibly will be able to wear trousers with a pocket,  I couldn't wait to get out of the hospital gown and in between the nurses coming to do my obs I had threaded my oxygen line through the sleeve of my gown and back down the sleeve of my own nightdress and the little tubes back in my nostrils before they came back in, I don't think they had had a patient like me, I'm a bit of a rebel LOL, you feel so much better wearing your own things, I was so lucky as I experienced absolutely no post op pain at all, I never took any pain medication, all I had was before when I had the spinal block, I hope you are as lucky, I had a laparascopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy, I was supposed to have the da vinci but couldn't get to the hospital that had it.

• Posted

I hear you, i am quite the rebel myself and hate the Oxygen thing, I hate the IV, I hate the heart monitor, sometimes I rip the pads off, lol.

My pump is small and I guess can just lay on the bed next to me for the first day.

I am hoping not to have a cathidar as I don't really need more freaking discomfort.

• Posted

It amazes me how much a woman can deal with and handle but a man gets a paper cut and he screams for days!  I got this!!!
    • Posted

I don't want to sound negative cara but I'm sure you will have to have a catheter for 24 hrs. This is standard practice with hysterectomy in uk as it gives the bladder chance to rest after surgery. Also you can rest without having to be uncomfortable getting out of bed for wee.

Xx

• Posted

Hi, I had everything removed 3 days ago by keyhole and, like you, I was absolutely terrified. I didn't know if my operation was going ahead until I went in to the hospital on the day as I have an overactive thyroid and giving me a general anaesthetic may not have been safe. After a long chat with my consultant and anaesthetist, and knowing it was safe to proceed, thankfully everything was fine and the operation was straightforward. I was very emotional leaving the hospital yesterday as the stress of it all was now gone. Since leaving hospital I've been absolutely exhausted and sleeping on and off during the day which is fine as there's a lot of healing to do inside. I'm not eating much and only really wanting juicy fruit! The pain isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (4 keyhole sites) and it feels like dull cramp afterwards. The past 20 years of my periods have been horrendous and as they were getting worse I decided I'd had enough and knowing I'm finished with them keeps me going. Good luck for Tuesday and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

I have the BRACA gene and had breast cancer 8 years ago so this is a precautionary surgery but I know I need it.  Like you I am so crazy nervous but I so needed to hear from someone like you who just had it and is doing ok.  I expect to be tired and cranky.  My husband will learn to deal with it lol

​Pleasekeep me posted on how you are doing so I know what I might have to look forward to.

Thank you so much!

• Posted

I completely understand your nervousness as I was exactly the same even questioning whether I was doing the right thing when I was in the hospital. I remember waking up during the night after my operation and feeling so pleased and proud of myself that I'd done it. I'd tried to read as much info before going in so during my stay I kept wiggling my toes, feet and legs to keep the blood circulating. I have to inject myself every evening to thin my blood (for 7 days), wear surgical stockings for 6 weeks, and I tried a couple of different pain killers while in hospital to find one that suited me and didn't make me feel sick. What I'm finding since I've come out is that if my stomach feels a bit nippy, I'm making sure my pain killers are up to date, nipping to the loo then lying flat on my bed to stretch my stomach, this seems to help. I'm only really lying/sitting in bed, sitting in a chair with a footstool (which is actually quite good) and having a walk round the house. Only day 3 so still tired. The build up to the operation is so stressful but honestly I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Posted

Ok got it, wiggle toes, stretch feet and legs, OK kewl!

​I have a recliner so is that ok to sit in?

​I know I will be resting and sleeping a lot.  I am a breast cancer survivor and had a bilateral mastectomy 8 years ago, after surgery I was home within 6 hours so i remember being tired but making myself walk a little each day to keep me going,

​Thank you for your support and help, it really is a huge help to me to know i am not the only one who wanted to run kicking and screaming but then had the surgery and is here to tell me about it.  Thank you so very much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.