Robotic hysterectomy in 4 days and i am terrified

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am scheduled to have a full hysterectomy on Tuesday July 25 and all I want to do is run for the foor.  I can't stop crying and getting all nervous.  Can anyone please give me some things I need to know, what to expect and so on.  I am freaking out.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I felt the same. But I can honestly say my surgeon was wonderful. I had mine done 2nd June 2017. I was told to take Bridget Jones pants, loose fitting clothes. When home to rest and take things very easy.

It does hurt when you wake up, no more than a c-section though.

• Posted

I have very loose pants I plan to bring with me

I have never had a c-section so i am unfamiliar with that pain.

I did however have a bilateral mastectomy so maybe its like that, haha

• Posted

I had my hysterectomy 1 week ago today (removed it all except my ovaries) I was very nervous and worried, but as soon as they put my IV in they noticed how worried I really was, at one point I asked to be release, I told them I changed my mind, but then they gave me a little something to relax me, after that I remember waking up after surgery. The worse part was feeling Like I needed to go to the bathroom when really it was pressure and gas. I did demand them to remove the catheter, it was extremely uncomfortable. I forced myself with help to get up and walk to the restroom several times, sure beat the catheter and I knew they would release me after I walked and could pee.

The gas was extremely painful while in recovery and that first night home, but that went away the following day (the heating pad helped me a lot this day).

While I'm still early in my recovery I did think I would be in more pain than I am, I feel like I could do my normal routines but I keep hearing from others to just rest. I'm not pain free by any means, it comes and goes, but my belly is sore and bloated. I'm hoping the bloating will go away along with the spotting, it's nothing like being on my cycle, it's nasty brownish blood that still hasn't stopped, I wonder how much longer before that goes away. I have my follow up appt Tuesday, hoping for a good report. Good luck, I promise I'm a big baby when it comes to this stuff, if I can do it anyone can do it.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your message, as the day gets closer i feel like running every day and I know as soon as I get to the hospital my anxiety is going to kick in.  I cry when they put in an IV and I cry knowing it is going to be ok.  Hopefully they give me some good drugs to knock me out.  I was wondering how long was your surgery?  I was planning on insisting not cathedar but some have mentioned you dont get a choice.  I am still freaking out about the whole thing but it is good to know i am not the only one who feels this way.
    • Posted

Hi Cara, just wanted to say that what your feeling at the moment is perfectly natural, I was nervus too, but the Staff were brilliant -, theatre staff were understanding too. I had a catheter, but it honestly wasn't  a big deal,no pain. I would just say like everyone else is be kind to yourself, dont be in a rush to do things, rest up plenty and make sure you take your meds. Hope all goes well with you.

• Posted

I had no idea I'd wake up and have a catheter, but as soon as I could feel it and demanded the nurse to take it out she did. They have to put the catheter in due to the IV, but I promise as soon as you are able to ask them to take it out they will. Are you coming home the same day? I had a 50/50 chance of staying in the hospital or being released, fortunately everything went well and was home by 130pm (had to be at the hospital at 530a, surgery at 7a).

• Posted

Thank you so much!!!

I am hearing all your wonderful ladies, meds are very important!!!

• Posted

Hi, I just want to tell you that I'm sure you will be fine and trust you're health professionals, they really are your team! I had my op two weeks ago and the hardest thing I have found is to listen to my body. I'm usually very active and competitive so I found it hard to justify not doing anything. But if you are weary rest! I find that I'm on a roller coaster; one day I'll feel so good, then the next day I'll feel rubbish. But that's ok, because after a few days you'll notice that the lows aren't quite as low any more and the ups are lasting longer.

So without a doubt, the best advice I was given is to drink pear juice, because for every pain killer you have (and don't be shy with them!) you should have something to be kind to your bowels, and pear juice is the best and kindest.

And although I believe that I've had an incredibly smooth journey, nobody told me about the wind pain! Most of the discomfort from the surgery has felt like a dull ache in my mid section, but the wind pain was quite nasty, so don't be afraid to let it go! Also I think that a lot of my grogginess for at least a week was just a hang over from the anaesthetic.

All in all it hasn't been nearly as bad as I was expecting, but just don't rush things and look after your self with good food choices; and good luck!

• Posted

Winf pain?

I am still so nervous but everyone is helping me not to run away

• Posted

Thank you for asking this as I am due on Monday to have a full abdominal hysterectomy and feel nervous. However reading the other posts I am feeling a little less apprehensive. I wish you well for Tuesday and we can post next week how positive the experience has been. Xx
    • Posted

I wish you all the best on Monday and yes in a week we will be comparing scars and stories.  Best of Luck!!!

Hugs!!!

• Posted

I had my hysterectomy and pelvic floor repair in May and was worried about all sorts of things. In fact the op was over in an hour and a half so the anaesthetic was comparatively light, I was in no pain, (and have had little since), and felt good. I was discharged the next day.

Tips. Take wet wipes to wipe your face - it's hot in hospital. Drink a lot of water.  Avoid constipation - lean forward when you sit on the loo so you don't strain. I took a laxative for the first few days and ate wholewheat everything plus prunes! Very important not to lift, sweep or vacuum for several weeks to give your body a proper chance to heal. Not even a kettle in the early days. This is to prevent scarring and lesions. The trouble is that if it's a vaginal hysterectomy you don't have a scar and can't see what's going on! A pillow tucked between your knees at night is good. When you can go for the pelvic floor exercises - the gentle ones. 

You really are going to be fine. And at the end of the day it's an op you need which which will make your life better. Very best wishes and warmest of thought waves.

• Posted

Great advice thank you

​So the one concern I have is that I am a big girl and mt arms are short.  So when my bowels finally go how do i reach around to wipe.  I know kinda graphic but this is a concern to me.

• Posted

Once you've performed leaning forward slightly so as not to strain you can straighten and wipe clean as you usually do. No modesty here! 😀

• Posted

You wipe back front to back never other way round. Wipe anus up,clean paper each time.

I always finish with toilet wipes. I've had no problems doing it this way.

I'm a right germophobic lol.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.