Rollercoaster

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I so appreciate all the support and advice that I receive from this site.

I'm now 7 weeks post op and started physio last week. They are pleased with my progress although my bend is better than my extension.

Anyway, once again I have been reminded that this is a "2 steps forward, 1 step back recovery." I went for a lovely 30 minute stroll yesterday and as a result my leg is swollen an inch more today and my vicious ankle pain has returned. Its hard to know what to do to do right. Icing and elevating today but feeling a bit frustrated!!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Post this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

• Posted

Chico Marx your picture is getting around.  I took it to my Physical Therapist and now it is hanging on the wall there as a reminder to other patients.  

• Posted

I hear it's also hanging in a Toronto hospital rehab center!!!  Can't remember where I found it but the visual is so perfect for what we all go through with the knee.  We literally get "Kneebies" on here who expect to be back at work in a few weeks.  There are docs out there who are telling their patients to expect a 6-week total recovery.  DELUSIONAL!!!  Yes, there are those rare exceptions but for the vast majority of us, the bike crashes and then, somewhere along the line, you'll need that boat!!!

• Posted

I am in week 9 and my extension is better than my bend (0/100), leg is still swollen and wound is not completely healed (allergic reaction to the glue they used to close the wound).  So yes, ahhhhhhhhh, I am more than a bit frustrated.  I have never been one much for social media outlets but starting in the sixth week I went on line and found this website.   There are a lot of people on here that have been there and done it and are willing to help others get through all the rough parts.   It has been the rope of hope I am holding onto.   
    • Posted

I had an allergic reaction but don't know if it was to the dermabond glue, aquaseal dressing, or cement used on the new joint. I took a photo, did your incision look like the attached photo?

• Posted

That looks bad!  I included a picture of my wound about a two weeks ago when my physical therapist  was freaking out about how bad it looked....it looks great compared to yours.    I am not really sure what they used, but when my surgeon saw it on 1 March he did say it was an allergic reaction.  Have you seen your doctor?  How far along are you?   
    • Posted

I'm 11 months post op. Spent most of that time in a wheelchair due to swelling, scar tissue and I believe nerve damage. Surgeon thought it was a reaction to dermabond glue but that doesn't explain the other long term reactions. It could be arthrofibrosis. I'm a retired RN so I have been researching to find the cause before the other knee replacement. I don't think it's the dermabond because of the symptoms around the joint. I have overcome the scar tissue and am starting to walk with crutches now but as Chico says, I have to rebuild muscles and stamina, my knee will still lock up unexpectedly with pain but I am hopeful that as muscles recover it will resolve. Thanks for posting, my reaction is allot more than exposure to dermabond but I plan on getting allergy testing for all elements used in joint replacement.

You're doing great!

• Posted

Thank you...don't feel that way but as Chico says don't compare yourself to others but hard to do.  I am at a little over 9 weeks and my ROM is 0/100 which pretty much hasn't changed since the first couple weeks of PT.  So that is frustrating.  But I can't even image what you are going through!!!

• Posted

I feel the same when I walk too much. Now, I do a few small walks outside, each day, that the weather allows. Swelling is the enemy. We must know our knee's limits. It comes through trial and error. Hang in there, we will do it together.

• Posted

Recommendation:  Get a fit bit, smart watch, pedometer.  TRACK YOUR STEPS EVERY DAY!!!!!  Most devices will upload the data to its own computer app so you can see graphs, etc. so you can see your progress.  This is VITAL to avoid repeating the same mistake over and over by not knowing your own limits.  Problem one day?  Note the steps, back off and slowly increase your limit.

True story...  Had my fit bit on 5 weeks post-op when I spent a day in a mall with my daughter.  That night, I was in a world of hurt.  The screen read 8,200+ steps.  REALLY?  That was waaaaaay too much.  Had a "balloon knee" for days.  However...

I LEARNED THE LESSON and it never happened again.  You CANNOT push a knee to recovery...period.  The knee will bite you back big time.  To avoid repeating this scenario, just get a pedometer and track your steps.  It's NOT about distance, it's about the number of steps.  Learn the lesson and avoid the pain.  By 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps (5 miles) with no problem.  Make life easy...get a pedometer... 

• Posted

I have a tracker. My work provided it to me, and an app. Do you wear the tracker on your wrist or hip? Mine is a wrist strap model. I guess I could put it in my pants pocket, to judge walking steps better.
    • Posted

I have a really great Samsung Gear S3 Frontier Sport.  I has ALL the fitness software, all of the great smartwatch features plus I can answer phone calls without reaching for my actual phone.  Will use this for many, many years.  Got it because I wanted more than just a fitness tracker.  This way, I have one device for all my needs.

• Posted

I'm week 8. Just went to my GP....he said 3 months off work at least..( I'm still aiming for a few days back a week by week 11....) ...wound slow to heal but arthritis and meds slow healing down....really want to go swimming!!!!! I feeling v tired still but my iron stores v low. Got loan of one of these pedal machines.....that sit on the ground and you pedal away.....now that my knee is a bit more agreeable to cycling!! Just a bit....this is def a major journey.....concerned how I will fit my exercises in while working....Will do some on my breaks I suppose!!

• Posted

Any water therapy is GREAT!!!  Three months back to work is borderline.  Many people who try report stiffness, swelling, limping and more, then get home in pain to ice and elevate, have sleepless nights and have to get up and do it all over again.  I've read over 4,000 posts...very few people successfully return to work at 3 months.  4-6 is more likely.

Caveat:  This is so very individual.  A lot of it is based on how much exercise you've done to rebuild your dead quads, glutes and core to support the knee for 8 hours of work plus the commute.  PLUS...there's occupation, work requirements, age, ROM achievement, remaining meds, and so much more.  In truth, the knee will tell you when you're OK to work again.  Push it at your own risk.

• Posted

I'm dying to get into the water Chico....I'm a waterbaby...but I need to wait for my wound to fully heal....impatient though....my job is fairly sedentary..lots of talking!!!! .I'm going to drive in for a bit...start back 3 days a week...worst case scenario is I go back and then have to go on sick leave again..but I don't get paid beyond a certain time period....I'm exercising for a few years now in so far as I can ...not to the level you seem to but I'm doing my best...it'll be trying to get the balance right when I'm back working between rest work and exercise...

• Posted

Oh, I wish I had water therapy around.  When I had my hip done in '09, I started 10 days post-op...gym and water 5 hours a day, 6 days a week.  Total rehab time to 100% functionality: six weeks.  Problem: You can't do that with a knee.  No way, no how.  You cannot push a knee like you can a hip or a shoulder.  Cannot be done.  Your knee will swell like a balloon and set you back.  A knee takes time but the water will help.  Just need doc clearance when the incision is ready.

Here's the TKR exercise program to recover the strength in your dead quads, glutes and core.  Done by a real certified pro, it's specifically designed to start slowly to build endurance and then strength...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

...After that, stairs...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

By 14 months, I was going up stairs two at a time without holding on to anything.  And balance (I mean real "balancing" that requires strength), try one of those balance boards at the gym or get one on-line for $15.  Humbling at first...worth the effort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.