Rosacea - nothing is working :-(

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Rosacea back in May 2015 by a cosmetic dermatologist. I have redness on my cheeks, forehead and chin with bumps under my skin which are visible. I was put n efracea which I have been taking since then and also was told to apply finacea topically to help reduce the bumps. Over the period the bumps didn't improve so the dermatologist put me on lemycyline which made the appearance of bumps more than before. I stopped taking that and went back to efracea after consulting my dermatologist. The finacea doesn't seem to have helped much and the bumps seem to be more visible than they were. All the products I used before to wash my face and moisturise stopped working as my redness has just seemed to increase. I have tried cetaphil, la roche posay and avene products and I have suffered an allergic reaction from all of them. I don't know what to do and really losing confidence and going into depression. I had asked my dermatologist if I should change anything in my diet and she said just have more greens and nuts - nothing else. I'm still on the efracea and apply finacea once a day although it hasn't been effective. Can anyone please help? What should I do? :'(

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sammy

Really sorry to hear what is happening. Please don't give up hope, it will get better.

My dermatologist gave me the best piece of advice try to relax and stop worrying. In tears I laughed him off, this is my face how I face the world. But I tried. I looked into breathing exercises, in for 4 through the nose, hold for seven and out through the mouth for 8. I ate green green green, I practically lived on sardines and spinach for a month. I drank green juices and ate a tonne of Brazil nuts.

I switched to natural beauty products, Kimberly Sayer, and took probiotics.

I hope something can help. You will find what works for you, please don't give up hope.

• Posted

thank you so much Kelly - trying not to lose hope, but there are days I can't help but just cry. Can you recommend a probiotic that you took that helped? I'll look into Kimberly Sayer products and also start the breathing exercises - thank you so much
    • Posted

Hi Sammy

I know exactly how you feel. I wouldn't come out of the house on somedays and would just cry. It's expected to feel like that though, it's your face and how you face the world, try not to beat yourself up about feeling bad.

I used good old actimal. I know there are tablets that are out there that people rave about but I chose the budget version! I also added Udos oil to food and drinks.

Good luck and I really hope you start to see some results soon.

• Posted

Hi Kelly

Really appreciate your kindness and it helps to know that others have had a similar experience to me. I will let you know how I get on. Thank you again and hope that you are better now too.

• Posted

I do feel for you, I went from great skin all of my life to a very red, flushing face, with small bumps- which was brought on by stress. I am on doxycycline twice a day- 100mg and when the red is bad I use mirvaso gel. An underlying issue I had was high blood pressure and was put on a beta blocker which helps with flushing- they also use beta blockers to help with the flushing due to Rosacea- I know you feel very depressed and alone as I do too, but 'this too shall pass' it will just take some time.
    • Posted

thank you Nene - I hope you feel better too. I will have my blood pressure checked as well in case that is a reason for me as well. I have had a lot of stress this year when the bumps have increased more than I ever had :-(
  • Posted

Oh and I took efreca for a few months but stop using the topical cream they have me as my skin was just too sensitive.

When I started to notice a difference with the tablets after a few weeks I started to reduce the tablets slowly to see if I could maintain the calmness without them.

• Posted

I will most definitely try that too - thanks again Kelly.. your support today has meant a lot to me
  • Posted

So sorry to hear what you're going through Sammy.  I was in the exact same place 2 years ago and now no one would know I have Rosacea.  Nothing the Dr. gave me worked.  The awful bumps on my face seemed to just go away on their own but it took a good 3 months.  Stress at my job really set my face on fire (I quit that job and got a less stressful one.)  Also alcohol and heat, like the wood stove, make my face red.  The thing that saved me was calamine lotion.  If I get red at home I just put it on my nose and cheeks and within minutes the redness and heat are gone.  It's not too helpful when in public but since my stress is less I don't get red that often.  I will still put on just a little calamine lotion and rub it in so it doesn't look white and it does still help.  I haven't had the bumps in 2 years and I think it's because I don't let my face get as red or stay red as long.  My theory is the heat and redness is what damaged my skin and caused the bumps.

I hope this helps.  Good luck to you :}

• Posted

thank you so much Sleew. My job most definitely has been a major cause of stress and the bumps and redness has just increased this year. I really hope that I can get rid of the redness as well as the bumps. I guess the calamine lotion works as a cooling agent. My face heats up so much at times and rest of the body isn't as warm. thanks again for taking time out to tell me what you have gone through too. 
  • Posted

Hi Sammy I am taking minocycline it helps my face very well but I only take it when need make my stomach feel weird also I put cucumbers on my face oh believe it helps. Also yes don't stress to much or if you drink or eat alot of sugar it makes it break out more. I alway use metro gel it call metronidazole. I also use an ice pack or get a cloth put ice that help my bumps but I highly recommend cucumbers & no stressing. Hope all goes well & good luck I know how you feel my face broke out again & it just calming down within 2 weeks.
    • Posted

thank you sophiaann71 - I love cucumbers and eat them quite often, but haven't used on my face. Trying really hard to stay calm and not stress. Kelly-1234 has recommended some breathing exercises as well as so really hoping that I can get my stress under control. the bumos I have on my face are under skin, but so visible. I almost hide my face when there is too much light as I know everyone is looking at me and wondering what has happened to me. :-( Can I get the metro del without prescription? Really hope you feel better too.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. A year ago I was in a similar position. I had redness and spots on both cheeks

Which didn't improve despite metronidazole

Gel and doxacycline for about 6 months.

Eventually I asked my gp if I could try Oxytetracycline and metronidazole cream. It worked almost immediately and I am now only on

the cream once a day which helps keep

Spots and redness at bay. I also changed to a mostly gluten free diet as I also have

reflux. This definitely seems to help too but the biggest improvement was with the

Oxytetracycline. I think everyone is different and responds to different things. Don't be afraid to read up on the various treatments and discuss them with your gp. I'm sure that you will find something to suit you. Don't give up, things will improve. Good luck.

• Posted

thanks jess00317 for your reply. I'll speak to my dermatologist about Oxytetracycline and try that. Can I ask do you have any recommendation on face wash and moisturisers? I'm struggling to find anything that is working for me. I'm trying to be more positive, but there are days where I really just feel down and nothing seems to be work :-( thanks again for sharing your experience.
    • Posted

Hi Sammy I tried a few face washes, mostly alcohol, parben and perfume free ones such as Simple Face Wash but although they were ok I thought they were a little harsh still so for some time now I have been using Dove perfume free soap which seems to suit my skin. I must admit I've yet to find a really good moisturiser but the metronidazole cream is fairly moisturizing so I often just use that and sometimes a little of one of the moisturisers from the Simple range again. I had a few issues with foundation causing one or two spots but eventually found one of the Max Factor ones that was ok and i don't tend to put much on now. I really feel for you as it was this time last year that I was having such a bad time. I thought I would never be able to go out without a hat or sit in the sun again but although I now own a fair few hats I didn't always wear one and didn't suffer at all but I was quite careful to put on sunscreen if it was very sunny. You will find what suits you I'm sure, it just takes time and trial and error. Keep positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.