Rosacea - nothing is working :-(

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Rosacea back in May 2015 by a cosmetic dermatologist. I have redness on my cheeks, forehead and chin with bumps under my skin which are visible. I was put n efracea which I have been taking since then and also was told to apply finacea topically to help reduce the bumps. Over the period the bumps didn't improve so the dermatologist put me on lemycyline which made the appearance of bumps more than before. I stopped taking that and went back to efracea after consulting my dermatologist. The finacea doesn't seem to have helped much and the bumps seem to be more visible than they were. All the products I used before to wash my face and moisturise stopped working as my redness has just seemed to increase. I have tried cetaphil, la roche posay and avene products and I have suffered an allergic reaction from all of them. I don't know what to do and really losing confidence and going into depression. I had asked my dermatologist if I should change anything in my diet and she said just have more greens and nuts - nothing else. I'm still on the efracea and apply finacea once a day although it hasn't been effective. Can anyone please help? What should I do? :'(

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just tried a new cleanser called vanicream- it's OTC and I love it- of course I'm still on doxy, a beta blocker, and use mirvaso- just thought I would share just in case you were still looking.

Jeannine

• Posted

thanks so mch Jeannine - I have tried almost everything and all seems to flare up my rosacea :-( it's disheartening, but will give your recommendation a go too. 
  • Posted

Wondering if you have tried the calamine lotion when you have a flairup Sammy?  I would love to hear some feedback from anyone who has tried it since it has really saved my sanity.  Nothing else worked for me, not prescription meds, not face washes, nothing but the calamine lotion.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear this, I know it's so frustrating and upsetting. I do think everyone is different and recommendations from your dermatologist are necessary, but I will share something that served as relief for immediate redness and all pain/itchiness/dryness--Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream. Feels gentle but is really strong/powerful stuff. At least helps you feel better in the mean time!
  • Posted

The problem is, because rosacea is not life threatening I don't feel the medical profession take it that seriously. I was DX'd about 2 years ago understand the misery of red flushing and bumps. Mine are on my cheeks and get worse in the sun and when the weather warms up. Also I avoid alcohol which is a killer for the skin (as well as other body parts!) It's a bore but at least if we're female we can plaster make up on. if you're in the UK the best one I've found is Boots Beautifully Matte.

BTW, Finacea and Acea did nothing for me at all despite using them for months, and I refuse to take long term antibiotics.

• Posted

Hi sammy1979

i had ok skin,however I went on holiday to Turkey last year and fell asleep on a friends boat,and the hot sun damaged my facial skin.

A few months later my GP said I had Rosacea.

He said to use Calomine Lotion when I rise in the morning,then about 30 mins later I apply Metro gel,and then I take a daily Oxytetracyline tablet.

i apply Metro gel again in evening.

After following this regime for about 4 days I was sorted...have had no issues for last 3 months so fingers crossed( though I still get tingling skin near nose).

Also...WEAR FACTOR 30 SUNCREAM ON MY FACE WHENEVER I GO OUT.

Hope you find something that works for you....reading your and other people's posts I think I was lucky to stumble on something that worked for me.

Good luck to you,and don't give up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.