Rotary cuff repair

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have my appointment booked for a torn tendon in my shoulder and after reading the forum I am 100% not sure wether to go through with it

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi karen

What is your appointment for...surgery?

Lots of people make a full recovery from torn tendons. Often people on forums are those that have struggled (myself included, but fine now) so comments are not always representative.

If you give some more information I am sure you would get a balanced response as to the pros and cons.

Cheers

christine

• Posted

Hi Christine my appointment is 25th April sad I'm also a self employed cleaner which makes things worse!

I know I can have injections for the pain but it's not going to cure it and I have to make a decision over the weekend I wish I hadn't have read this forum to be honest

Karen

• Posted

Don't have it done am 6 wks post op the pain unbearable I so wished I never had it done am in the same work as u.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I think if you don't get the surgery your issue with the shoulder won't get any better in fact it might get worse, but this is just my opinion. Yeah it's gonna hurt yeah it's a tough recovery but you will get better. I had surgery for a supposed tear in my rotator cuff I say supposed because the MRI should it was a slight tear. But when the doctor went in saw it was just calcium build up that was scraping my tendon and casusing my pain. He cleared it out and also repaired the tendon in my bicep. I am now 5 weeks since my surgery feeling better doing my physical therapy. Yeah I still feel pain on and off but nothing like when I first got the surgery or before for that matter. It's a long road to recovery but I will get there and so will you. Praying for your recovery, be well

• Posted

Hi claudia thanks for your reply and I do know my shoulder will get worse I just don't know what to do for the best

Karen

• Posted

Karen, what does your doctor suggest that you do? What does he recommend? Gotta think if you rather live with the pain and have it get worse or live with pain for a short while and get better down the road. Hope all turns out well no matter what you decide.
    • Posted

Thanks claudia doctor says he can't advise me what to do but I think he was basically saying I should have it done because I'm still quite young and if I don't I will end up with arthritis in my shoulder I just didn't realise it was such a painful op and long recovery!

It's another worry being self employed it's a no win situation.

• Posted

Karen oh boy I feel for you I know how frustrating it must be. But knowing that you can end up in a much worse situation maybe you should get it. Or if you haven't tried cortisone shot try that it works for some. Unfortunately it didn't work for me but it's worth a try. Even if it's a temporary fix it may give you some more time to think about it.

• Posted

Hi karen

Just out of interest where are you based as approach very different between north America and UK.?

Has your OS stated how thick the tear is as this is often the deciding factor on whether surgery or more conservative options are adopted.

Given your job this will seriously impact you. I have a fairly sedentary job and I have struggled returning to work, particularly with the amount of driving I do.

I ran out of sick pay 2 months before I returnd to work relying on SSP which is'nt great, so I feel for you being self employed ( I used to be).

All I can add is wish you good luck whatever your decision, but don't be put off soley because of the posts on here.

It is a hard, long recovery but I get better every day.

• Posted

Hi christine I am based in England my tear is 1.6mm and will have the operation by key hole surgery I have the option of injections which won't cure the problem. If i don't have it done I will end up with arthritis in it (I'm doomed and will be skint)

Karen

• Posted

Hi again

I only asked as speaking to my initial physio who was private/sports she told me that North America tend to operate more readily and that they will do several RC  operations when all research says that each one the chance of success  reduces. In the Uk they tend to be more conservative, not just money saving but in the interest of the patient. I was scared that mine would not work and given I had ongoing problems with it she told me they would probably look at shoulder replacement if arthritis set in.

Given your surgeon is advising surgery I would go with it. My advice is to protect your arm during first months and do everything physio advises. My OS told me with this op your physio is your friend and he was not wrong.

Sorry rambled a bit! 

C

• Posted

Hello, Your last paragraph to Karen is spot on.  Karen, follow through and get it repaired.  Karen, which tendon is torn?  Is it a full tear or a partial tear?  There is a lot of information on the internet.  One that I have found helpful is titled Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair Frequently Asked Questions.  The article is current (2016) through Brigham and Womens' Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.  The article is 34 pages in length.  User-friendly written, extremely informative with photographs.  I am in the ninth week out of my surgery and wish I had read the article three months ago.  I would have done a few things differently based on the information.  Good luck and keep us posted.    

• Posted

Remember me? We chatted when I were about a month post op. I still have no improvement at 4.5 mos. Net w/ my is last week and referred me to is in group who does replacement. Net w/him this week. Age, and symptoms make me a candidate for reverse. How is your recovery going?
    • Posted

Hello there!  Above is the name of a very good document which you can look up online.  It's worth the read!!  I am doing okay.  Thanks for asking.  It's slow progress but progress.  While laying down on my back, PT has been able to stretch my arm to 160 degrees.  I cannot do that independently, yet.  I am unable to touch the top of my head, but I can reach my eyebrows and hairline standing up.  Progress in tiny steps.  I hope your surgery goes well and you experience success.  Take a few minutes to read that article before your surgery!  Hang in there!  

Enjoy the weekend!

• Posted

I too can touch the same spots. No top of the head and little forward motion. Ortho said I won't get better. Another blogger wrote that she had reverse on 1/23 and regrets it still has

no rom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.