Rotorer cuff surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had surgery for a rotorer cuff tear and impingment on dec 18th. Still in a sling day and night and in extreme pain. Had same op a few years ago on other shoulder that was no where near as painful afterwards. Getting a little concerned as to if it should still hurt so much?

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think I received same injury when I tripped and fell and I also fractured my upper arm (humerus In December 13). The pain lasted on and off until about March 14 and i was helped by prescribed medicine. Things greatly improved by July 14 and I needed little pain relief too. Physio helps also. Now due op to remove pin and plate on my upper humerus. Keep strong and communicate with GP and all staff.

Sueconfused

• Posted

Thanks sue. Had hosp app last week and was told as well as tendon repair quite a lot of bone was removed. I've been off work for 3 weeks so far. I have quite a manual job. See physio on Monday again. Can't imagine being pain free without sling on. It's so difficult to dress, wash up, walk dogs etc. it's really getting me down. I'm taking codeine and paracetamol for pain still 
    • Posted

Thanks also Tracey. I kept my sling on for a matter of weeks and was told sling not needed after 2-3 months. Can your employer make reasonable adjustments as in the UK Disability Act and even give u an office job until full recovery ? Ditto for problems after the op. Just kept optimistic I guess. Same meds too for 7 months for myself. I was between jobs so claimed ESA benefit for 12 months as I am resident in UK.

Prayer helps too. Gentle Physio good too. Kind wishes Sue

• Posted

Thank you sue. I work for tesco. I move things around the store. Which involves lifting very heavy shelves from low heights to above my shoulder height. Been doing this for 13 years now. I'm sure it has contributed to having shoulder problems. My partner and I have a holiday booked to the maldives on 8th February. I must say the pain I'm in with shoulder is taking the shine off of going. I can see me wearing a bikini and a sling 😞
  • Posted

I have the same operation later this month..... im taking Tramadol for pain even before the op so its a little concerning to see your post

Hope your pain eases soon Tracey

• Posted

Hi David. I was sent home from hospital with a bottle of morphine so should have guessed it was going to be painful. My other shoulder that had same op was not as painful after surgery. I had the same surgeon for both. I have been told I will have the sling on for 4-6 weeks. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow I had op. Can't imagine not having it on at the moment. Everyone's different so hopefully your op will be fine. Keep us posted david
    • Posted

HI Tracey....My surgery is in a fortnight but i will update asap.

I have been advised of sling for 6 weeks..... so it seems similar advice

• Posted

Hello Tracy, I had surgery similar to yours 15th Oct ,also had bone rmoval, with

some ""Tidying up"" of tendon bits The physio who saw me before   I left the

building  -- threw my sling into the trash bin ,said  it wasn't necessary. Felt NO

pain for three weeks, then an ocassional twinge ,did the exercises as instructed. 

Pain progressed to upper arm muscle, then down to lower forearm., and now 3

months later ,I get stabbing pains, and less use of the arm, before surgery.

I have seen a physio who says that SHE is very disappointed with the state of

arm and shoulder  The muscles have turned to jelly and being left handed, means that I am mega restricted. Possible acapuncture on Tuesday, but I won't

hold my breathe. 

• Posted

I would never have managed pain without the sling. I have physio again tomorrow. They said I would have my sling on for 4-6 weeks. It must be dreadful having more pain after op than before so long after procedure? Mine is more painful at the moment but it's a totally different pain than before op. More in front of shoulder. Has physio said why she's disappointed? Is it the surgery or the after care? Hope your shoulder improves x
    • Posted

I saw the physio 2/3 weeks after the op, and she said that I was doing so

well, she didn't want to see me again .When I saw the surgeon two weeks later,he asked how I was getting on with the physio. I told him 

she had "sacked" me, he said I needed physio.as the pain had started.Two weeks before  I saw physio. shoulder , very painful and

stiff., had more visits but it just got worse 

No one is going to say that the surgery did not go well. or that not

letting me have a sling ,would cause a problem, because the joint had

no support whilst it was healing.

I ride  horses, but it is impossible to ride now, far too much pain.

peeling veg,, doing my hair, is really painful. Thank god my car is

an automatic. 

• Posted

Yes I used to ride had a horse. Had same op on other shoulder years ago. Wasn't anywhere near as painful as this time. I'll see what physio says tomorrow. My cars manual so I can't drive at the moment. Just getting dressed is hard work. I normally walk my two dogs together on my own but need help at the moment. Such a pain 
    • Posted

we seem to be in the same pain department, and it's not acceptable that the pain is getting worse. I'm beginning to wish I had left well alone. and put up with the pain I had, which was considerably less ,than what I 

have now .After care is sadly lacking. I suggested to the physio. that

she might have a word with the surgeon, and ask if he could sort out

a scan, if only to see what the problem is.

• Posted

Where you not sent home with painkillers after op? My whole arm/shoulder was numb until the following day as I was given a nerve block for the pain during operation. I was also sent home with a bottle of morphine
    • Posted

The nerve blocker did not work ,the only thing that happened, my fingers

swelled. I felt no pain at all. anywhere.so didn't need any painkillers. 

I was soooooo relieved that I was pain free, after two years of nagging

for some attention to be given .The problem was , no medics believed from my very first visit to the G.P when I said that I had torn something

in my shoulder..I react badly to strong pain killers, so Paracetamol

is the strongest I can cope with, and they don't do anything. 

so I use Tiger  balm, which does help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.