Rough, wrinkled, cracked and scaly skin on penis head. (Pictures)

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I'm 20 years old and I've had this for as long as I could remember. I don't like the look of it and I feel like something's wrong. I am circumcised and when I am erect the head of my penis looks dry, cracked, and is scaly. I started masturbating when I was pretty young (12 years old) and didn't use lotion for a while which I think might have caused some trauma to the skin or even a calus? When I masturbate now (i use avocado oil) the head and halfway down the shaft will get irritated and look scaly and cracked. What happened to the skin of my penis and what can I do to make it look healthy and smooth.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you have dry skin anywhere else? Are you using any sort of soap when you wash? Usually it is best to just wash with water, the soap could be drying out or irritating the skin.

The glans and skin below the glans down the shaft are supposed to be internal but since you are circumcised and there is no foreskin to protect htem they are exposed and can dry out, rub against clothing, etc. You might want ot research foreskin restoration or try a product like the Manhood which a little fabric product that goes over the penis can help protect the skin from rubbing against clothing and drying out. Foreskin restoration has helped some men return their glans to a smoother and healthier appearance, there are pictures online if you search around.

On the outside chance that your problems are due to some sort of medical condition you should get things checked out with a doctor before doing anything else.

• Posted

I just use regular dove body wash. I have some pictures that show just what I am talking about. How do I add pictures?
    • Posted

Posted pictures in comments below vvv
    • Posted

It looks a bit more "keratinized" (thickening of the glans and inner foreskin skin due to exposure) than the usual circumcised penis but I think it is probably just the way your skin reacts to exposure. Does the glans and the skin below it feel a bit very sensitive or does the dryness and scaling seem to interfere with sensation? It does look like you have a little bit of the scaling effect even below the circumcision line scar which is a bit unusual so I would still ask a doctor and if you don't get a satisfactory answer then you can continue to research online.

• Posted

Yes it does feel a bit sensitive when it's touched and the dryness and scaling is definitely interfereing with sensation. I have a gf and the sensation of oral isn't enough for me to orgasm. I have maybe only orgasmed once from oral. I can climax from intercourse but I definitely have noticed some sensitivity loss in my penis which I think is caused by the rough layer of skin. I think it has been desensitizing me especially with the more friction that happens it's like every time it gets stronger in terms of scalyness. Im afraid the glans will build themselves up to protect the penis and will lead to desensitization.

• Posted

It seems unlikely masterbation, even with a lot of abbration, would cause the skin texture you have. Could the change in skin texture have been partly due to puberty and not just masterbation? Like the other poster said I would look into it more with a dermatologist and perhaps see if you can get an answer (which may require going to multiple doctors as most will probably tell you like your GP that everything is normal). Beyond that I would look into foreskin restoration techniques to see if keeping the skin covered for a time might start to reverse some of the scalyness and in turn help improve sensation.
  • Posted

Pictures : 
    • Posted

That does look unusual.  Has it always been like that?  Either way, I'd see a doctor if I were you.  You could either see your GP, or if you're in the UK, you could go to a genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic - google "GUM clinic near me" for details.

If you could update this thread and tell us what the doctors say, it would be appreciated.  Good luck.

• Posted

I asked a gay American friend of mine to look at this thread, and he didn't seem to think it was such a big deal:

It's actually not that unusual. Different peoples' genital mucosa reacts differently to becoming permanently exposed. In my sexual encounters I've met several guys with a similar appearance. Whilst it is possible he has a skin condition, I think more likely it's his particular skin type that takes on this appearance.

It's clear he's self-conscious, but this is probably no more functionally significant than having heavy Fordyce spots on the shaft.

His photos weren't surprising to me, but then again I've been up close with a lot more penises than you have, mostly circumcised.

• Posted

I'm in the US. My penis definitely wasn't like this before I started masturbating. I did masturbate for a couple years with no lubricant. Could that have damaged the skin? I showed my GP about a year ago and he said it was nothing just how my skin is but I know it shouldn't be like this. From what I've seen from my brother and my friends are that their penis' look nice and smooth and they are circumcised. I certainly am self conscious about it. I have a girlfriend that I've been with for a year now and we were both virgins before we met. I want her to love it and the way it looks but how could she if I don't even like the way it looks. When my girlfriend gives me oral (which is once every few weeks) I almost never cum. Recently I noticed when I masturbate I can feel how rough my penis is on my hand, so that makes me think well how rough is it in her mouth or when we have sex. Do you suggest I should I go see a dermatologist?

• Posted

It says my reply is waiting to be moderated I think you should see it by tomorrow. I really appreciate the help!
    • Posted

My reply went through ^^
    • Posted

It seems unlikely that you've caused this yourself.  I'd see a urologist if I were you, but they may tell you just not to worry about it.  If a urologist or dermatologist is able to suggest anything that might change the appearance, let us know, but I suspect there may not be much you can do, but learn to live with it.  We're all different, and that's ok.

• Posted

Hi doctor. Im from Malaysia.

Past few days i had a cracked, redness, its flat on my penis head.

Im a guy who has a boyfriend, our last sex was 6march2017.

I was sti(chlamidia) patient before, but has already treated with centrioxone, together with my boyfriend. The Dr given us doxycyline antibiotics for 2week course. (On 13march2017 started). So i assume already treated bcs i did also hiv and syphilis test and it came back negative. 3times in a row within march and april 2017.

Now, my penis looks dry on its head. Im afraid it is herpes but since last few days no blister came out. And only its dry there. cracked and red. Its occasionally itch and burn at head area.

Same like u mr jay. I also use dove regular body wash..

I just have the unsual crack as you. When i go to my std clinic, the Doctor i used to face said its totally fine. When actually its not like this before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.