Ruptured Achilles Tendon (Non-surgical, No checkup, No Rehab)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I am 33yrs old, I ruptured my right Achilles about 4 months ago during a basketball game. I thought it was a common sprain so I didn’t seek any medical attention. The first 2 weeks, It hurt much especially when walking/standing (but I can tolerate the pain) and I can’t support my weight with my right foot, also has swelling on my ankles. Another 2 weeks had past and my foot was still hurting and swelling, by then I knew it was not a sprain. I researched about ruptured Achilles Tendon, all the symptoms show that I had a partial ruptured Achilles (if it was complete rupture, I would surely can’t stand). I didn’t undergo any medical checkup or rehabilitation, didn’t take any medication. I just researched on the massage techniques and exercise routines for my foot, had to do it every day, even during break times at work. I applied pain relieving ointment on my foot to relieve the pain (salonpas would be good too), shoe pads can also be helpful.

I think my Achilles is healing well, my foot feels much better now. Although I can’t lift my body only with my right foot (Tiptoe); I can do my chores normally, can carry some weight. I walk with slight limping and some imbalances, but can walk well even on long distances without feeling any major pain. I am a welder and my condition had affected my performance at work. I still do my routine foot exercise and apply ointment relievers.

I am not sure if I will recover normally since I never had any medical treatment/advice. I simply don’t have enough savings to support any medical expense. I hope my case would somehow help other individuals with similar situation. But it would be best if you seek medical attention immediately.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

thanks for sharing!  that is very interesting about your recovery.  I'm sorry you had to go through this without medical attention.  Sounds like you are doing pretty well all things considered.  I'm 8 months out with surgery and still can't go tiptoe on one leg.  Oh well.  I am back playing a little basketball and tennis, though, just not very well, ha.

• Posted

I have read that recovery time for surgery if faster, in your case its different. nyways, good to hear that you can perform some sports now. Am back playing basketball too, but no jumping nor hard plays. have to know my limits though. do you have any foot exercises?
    • Posted

I did foot exercises with a stretchy band for months, stopped at the 6 month mark when my physical therapy ran out, then at home I did lots of balance drills and calf raises on the ground and on books.  Then in mid July I started back at sports and the gym.
    • Posted

I'll try doing some of your stuff. have to ask, did you feel any stiffness below your calf when flexing your foot? I feel some accumulated muscle below my calf when flexing, its bothering me a little since my right calf is deformed.

• Posted

OH yes, definite stiffness in the calf and achilles up through June, so 6 months.
    • Posted

SIr, about limping & balance, how long did you notice improvements? 9 weeks now, still some limping, my balance is low rate. I know am still recovering, but just want some ideas to compare with my healing.

• Posted

Believe me I don't think I needed to go to ortho surgeon for him to tell me that I had ruptured A/T.

I had a full tare of the left one 5 years ago and let's say you don't forget. So apart from needing the boot from the hospital initially they really haven't had much input in my recovery. Had an app at the 4 week mark, he looked at the movement of foot and said was happy and discharged me from the clinic and said doesn't need to go back at all to see them.

So a lot of my recovery too had been researching others recovery sand just knowing your limits and when to push and not too push. Having done the other leg it certainly does help with what to expect.

This leg has been a lot faster to recover and can't wait to be back to normal.

• Posted

hello jjktmk14, how long did you felt your achilles was in full recovery. I still feel some stiffness below my calf when flexing my foot. my right calf is somehow deformed when flexed, compared to my left calf. I am in my 4th month now, I am wondering if its normal?
    • Posted

Hi I still feel stiffness in my left A/T after 5 years. ( mainly due to thickness of scar tissue I have been told) There is certainly a degree of tightness there even after all this time. But it was a good 12 months I think before I was back to tip toe raises and full foot functions.
    • Posted

thanks, am focusing on my balance now, some toe exercises too. feels good to know that 100% recovery can still be achieved. Cant wait to do tiptoe w/my injured foot. I'll try to beat your 12 months Sir.

• Posted

My fellow Baller ...I feel your story....It really hurts...I did my AT in just last week Wednesday.....Still on some pain killers .....I'm still waiting to see my Doctor....But you have done well....However please rest the foot as much as you can keeping it elevated above your waist while you sit and lay down this helps with the swelling....Please whatever you do ...Do not try to check whether you can bear wait on the foot until after about 9 months keep up the exercises and be positiveand you will heal....However if you do get a chance try and get a Scan of it......We on the bench now.... But not for long....Ballers for life and Beyond.....Just passing by dropping the dime....Be Blessed Baller....

• Posted

My fellow Baller ...I feel your story....It really hurts...I did my AT in just last week Wednesday.....Still on some pain killers .....I'm still waiting to see my Doctor....But you have done well....However please rest the foot as much as you can keeping it elevated above your waist while you sit and lay down this helps with the swelling....Please whatever you do ...Do not try to check whether you can bear wait on the foot until after about 9 months keep up the exercises and be positiveand you will heal....However if you do get a chance try and get a Scan of it......We on the bench now.... But not for long....Ballers for life and Beyond.....Just passing by dropping the dime....Be Blessed Baller....

• Posted

Wow 9 months before bearing weight, that is a really long time. Why so long ?

I am 6 weeks now and bearing full weight. I can stand flat footed and put all weight on the injured for no worries but walking normal will take some time but I feel great that I have achieved this far so quick compared to my last A/T rupture ( other leg) 5 years ago. Physio is really happy the amount of movement and strength I have now.

I know everybody is different but waiting that long can't be good to get walking again.

• Posted

is your foot on cast now? hope yours is not complete rupture, I think mine is partial. 9 weeks had past, I still feel stiffness in my lower calf. remembring the pain during first weeks, I know you can endure it. lately, I am working on my balance and some leaping, observing my limits. hope you can recover as possible, so sad to see mates loose games while sitting at side court.
    • Posted

do you have any massage techniques? I do massages up to above my calf. I think you can beat your 12 month record this time.
    • Posted

Yeah I have been moving foot a lot by rolling the ankle and moving toes as soon as I could and massaging right up and down the calf to the ankle. I have a burning like sensation at times, it's not painful just kind of uncomfortable. It sort of comes in waves after feeling the tightness in the tendon after moving it around. Any one else had anything similar?

• Posted

I hope so too G, its not in a cast, because it hasn't been diagnosed yet....Well I may stick to your routine.....I don't like Blades except when I'm throwing them.....By Wednesday I may know....But still I have to be dauntless.....I have never backed down from The game no matter who is in it...So why should I back down now???? Be blessed G.....and remember no matter what always be Joyful, be enthusiastic, be patient and have fun.......Will be in touch....Still bouncing the ball as I'm typing to you....Baller galore beyond....Sweetness and harmony....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.