S-I Joint Dysfunction

Posted , 17 users are following.

Im struggling to find anyone who has s-i problems. I can find a lot of US information but not a lot in the UK. I cant be the only one who is suffering with this.

My right thigh is numb and tingling, my right leg has gone shorter and I have pain in my hip & groin. Drs are convinced I've always had a shorter right leg but Im sure this is something I would of noticed before now. Im not getting any real help or tests. Ive had MRI which didnt show anything. Physio was the one that pointed me in the direction of S-I joint. After physio my leg goes the right length and I get relief for about a week.

Would like to hear from anyone else trying to live with this

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wish I had something positive to say to you but I haven't. After one year of what started with pain in the hip and groin developed into severe pain in the piriformus and lower back. Bowen Therapist who's been great diagnosed tight piriformus . MRI shows wear and tear nd 2 disc bulges. Chiropractor has twice released impacted right SI joint. Physio myofascial release helped me return to work but pain started again as job involves sitting at computer and driving. Sitting for any length of time becomes unbearable and I have to move. During the course of last year have been on different meds which only mask the symptoms and don't get to the cause. Done loads of online research from mind body connection to trigger points .Now getting acupuncture from 2nd physio for pain relief for sacroiliac joint dysfunction. Have some relief but still can't sit for long and this really impacts on day to day living. Been told theres a 6 month wait for injections at the pain clinic! Now exploring poss of private hospital

What help most? Coccyx cushion, hot baths and hot water bottle on lower back and trying to keep positive and in touch with work friends and totally believing I will get better.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi, Today I was diagnosed with S I while at a pain manangement clinic for Fibromyalgia, though the dr feels my S I is connected with a back problem I have he said it is also typical of Fibromyalgia, so I am currently reading up on anything I can find about the condition.

• Posted

Hi Shell

My other half has fibro and he is on a combination of tablets and just in the process of going to the pain clinic, he also has CFS and ostearthritis with his fibro.

As for me with my SI pain - I describe it like a toothache, its a constant nagging pain in one dimple at the bottom of my back which I get no relief from.  Just been seen at the pain clinic and waiting to get an injection in my si-joint when I have had it I will let you know if its been worth it or not.  SI pain is a funny kind of thing it also makes my back feel heavy and I walk with a limp but this is also down to my other back problems.

There isnt a lot of info about on SI pain and it seems very mis-understood.  

Have you been offered the injection? 

• Posted

Hi Winnie105 

Yes I've been offered the injection for my si, the dr said it is entirely up to me, as he knows the ones I had for my back didn't work, as for my fibro I'm on a combination of drugs, the dr wants me to try and come of 2 of them as he is thinking of putting me on ketamine

• Posted

Can I ask what other injections you have had, Im due to have facet joint injections and cocyx injections along with my si injection.  Having them done under sedation.  Worried its going to hurt or not work.

• Posted

Hi All, 

I have been diagonosed with SI joint dysfunction recently after an accident at work. I l sipped on the floor and landed on my front think my hip took most of the weight! 

SO fed up of the pain and agony this causes i don't know how any of you get on really as this is all quite new to me. I walk with crutches as my leg goes from underneath me, which causes me to fall on regular occasions! sometimes its so numb i cant really feel it, theres days where i cant even leave my flat as the steps outside are to steep for me to get down. Recently suffering with bladder incontinence episodes, did some research and SI can cause this as all the nerves are around the same place. Does anyone else suffer with this? 

Completely feel like my whole life is on hold for 4 months i've been in the most unbearable pain, currently on butrans patches, tramadol, pregabalin 150mg, amytriptiline and diazepam. Nothing seems to work properly just want a day without pain. 

Was reffered to the Muscular skeletal clinic where i saw an extended physio, she said my SI joint was misaligned and she manipulated it back, since been in even worrse pain! i know i have to go back as the doctors keep saying it will get fixed with physio. But its too painful to even do! Been reffered to a neurologist and pain management team but there is a hefty waiting list on the NHS. Feel like im running out of options and can't afford private treatment. 

At 22 it just feels like i have know where to turn and no answers and i haveto deal with the pain everyday, i do have quite a high pain threshold as i had gall stones and a gall bladder removal so i know pain quite well and this is 1000 times worse! 

Any help/answers anything would be hugely appreciated! 

Kate 

• Posted

Hi

So nice to hear that people are in the same boat as me . I've had this problem for years but only have been aware of the condition 4 years ago after having my 4th child. While pregnant I suffered from SPD wasn't aware of having this problem with my other 3 children but PT thinks I did have this whole pregnant before.

Since having my daughter my pelvis and back hasn't felt good.I'm now having more pain then ever, I've had acupuncture,treatments with a chiropractic and seeing a physio who said it was S I joint dysfunction.  The pain is unbearable can't walk,can't sit down I'm only pain free when sleeping.

I am seeing my GP later today but feel low as a mum of 4 I need to be mobile.

• Posted

Hello Katrina

I am 22 as well and have quite a high pain threshold. But this SI pain is something else isn't it? I

suggest you try Bowen treatment. It relieves my pain so much. I have only had 2 treatments so far but it is good. You do have to pay but I think it is worth it.

• Posted

Hi 

Where do you go for the Bowen treatment? 

Thanks 

Sabrina 

• Posted

Hello

You just have to go to your nearest one. Google on it. Or the next nearest.

There are plenty of Bowen therapists.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi

So nice to hear that people are in the same boat as me . I've had this problem for years but only have been aware of the condition 4 years ago after having my 4th child. While pregnant I suffered from SPD wasn't aware of having this problem with my other 3 children but PT thinks I did have this whole pregnant before.

Since having my daughter my pelvis and back hasn't felt good.I'm now having more pain then ever, I've had acupuncture,treatments with a chiropractic and seeing a physio who said it was S I joint dysfunction.  The pain is unbearable can't walk,can't sit down I'm only pain free when sleeping.

I am seeing my GP later today but feel low as a mum of 4 I need to be mobile.

• Posted

On a practical level I have just had adult services assess my house and Ive had, an extra bannister, a shower seat, a perching stool, new back & front door steps and a bed rail all done for nothing even though I own my own property - so try and get some practical help.

The numbness I get where you would have an appendix scar, my groin and my thigh.  Ive tried bu-trans & fentanyl patches reacted badly to both so cant use them.  Currently on no meds at all as nothing stops the pain so dont want to fill my body with tablets and I can judge my pain daily and know my limits.

I now need a walking stick and a built up shoe.  I am managing to work part time but can no longer drive.  Losing my independence by the day.  Cant lift anything heavy and struggle to dress and care for myself.

Still waiting to have spinal injections to try and help the pain.  Ive not been offered a neuroligist.

• Posted

Without going into my ghory story, I got some good help with acupuncture in that spinal area....and some "INTERNAL" coccyx work from a physical therapist who specializes in this work ....for a while after a hip replacement 4 yrs I couldn't sit after a while when my body started to settle after this major surgery...yes it's major, more than I ever dreamed.

There is a site Spine Universe and they show specific exercises for the lower spinal and I do 2 important ones for this horrible issues. Do them laying on the my bed as it's tough for me to get on floor and get up NOW....

I can now sit longer, but I do get burning....I deal with OA and I'm 76 and never want a surgical knife near me again unless an emergency.

I'm in the U.S. and we have a lot of alternative healers here in So. Calif.

I understand totally what you are saying....

• Posted

I'll give you an effective exercise for me anyway...visualize this.

Lying on floor or bed on back, pull one leg bended to chest and hold....then let it down....then do the other one and hold.....then bend both and bring them to chest....and hold....you are holding with your hands to get a good pull. This helps to open up the spinal canal. Do these often and HOPEFULLY they will give you some relief.

• Posted

Thanks Winnie sounds like you have had a touch time.I do see an acupuncture from time to time.I'm booked in on Thursday.After crying at the doctors yesterday am having a MRI scan, I've got a SI joint belt which pressing on my pelvis is giving me some relief but not enough.

It truly is a horrible condition to have I think childbirth was easier then this.It's very hard to stay in a positive mindset, I guess it's just taking it day by day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.