S-I Joint Dysfunction

Posted , 17 users are following.

Im struggling to find anyone who has s-i problems. I can find a lot of US information but not a lot in the UK. I cant be the only one who is suffering with this.

My right thigh is numb and tingling, my right leg has gone shorter and I have pain in my hip & groin. Drs are convinced I've always had a shorter right leg but Im sure this is something I would of noticed before now. Im not getting any real help or tests. Ive had MRI which didnt show anything. Physio was the one that pointed me in the direction of S-I joint. After physio my leg goes the right length and I get relief for about a week.

Would like to hear from anyone else trying to live with this

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also have this and have had it for over 20 years but only recently got a diagnosis I have had scans etc but mouthing showed up and then I went to the chronic pain clinic  and found out that was my problem I was prescribed Lidocaine patches which I find help but it's all the other aches Ie my hips and when I lay down movement is hard and pain excruciating I am having Ian injection on Thursday by X-ray into the joint so hopefully that is going to help. I do feel for you as I know the pain that I go through I can't take anti inflammatories so have had to suffer in silence 
    • Posted

Good luck with the injections, Im having mine on Friday - hopefully under sedation!! 

Ive not tried the lidocaine patches, the morphine ones I tried made me really ill so been wary about asking for others.

We will catch up in a few days to swap stories on how the injections have gone.  Hope there not too painful for us and we get some light at the end of this very long tunnel

• Posted

Hi babe not too bad the injection went well not too bad and it was done under a local anaesthic . The lidocaine patches have no horrid effects like morphine if you can mention it to the pain clinic Where abouts are you 
    • Posted

Hi April

Well my injections didnt go to well, suppose to have 8 managed 2.  Pain was too much for me.  The S-I Injection really hurt but bearable but the facet joint I couldnt stand.  Have to go back for sedation and try again in 4 weeks - really dreading it now.

So today I have usual pain with after injection pain and other funny feelings going on

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Winnie how awful  I  have  been struggling since Thursday  don't feel like it has worked not sure if it really hit the spot but I suppose it was worth a try it is earl days I had a little discomfort after  but nothing to worry about. I do hope you get some comfort and they can try again 
  • Posted

I waited 8 months for this appointment tried the physio chiropractor privately but found that too expensive acupuncture when I was pregnant it was worse and then 5 children later obviously loads of ware and tare
  • Posted

Evening from accross the pond. 

Sorry for your pain.  I have one leg shorter, back, hip and leg pain and cramps.  Only mine come from having to leap out the second story window of my bedroom to excape the flames of a fire back on 12-29-2913.  When I hit the ground I destored some disks etc. in my back.  Was taken to a trama unit and had back surgery.  Then had to learn to walk again, and this was just five weeks after my open heart surgery with four by passes and I had siggles in the summer of 2013.just for the hoot of it...lol

Its seems like the pain from one illness help prepare me for the pain of the next  thing that happened to me.  I tell you this not out of any pitty for me but that I have found a lot of other peoplel who have simular back, hip and leg pain and problems but from different causes  We all seem to be brothers and sister in pain seaking some relief.

Blessings,

Ron

• Posted

Hi Winnie i have not been to gp but cant stand the pain i will go tomorrow if i can my lower back is in agony and groin pain to i also have fibromyalgia,im on ammitryptoline solpadol high strenth and propranolol.
  • Posted

hello Winnie

I know this is a terrible thing to live withI have been living with this condition for the best part of 30 years and have only just gone to my GP and had it diagnosed, because I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia which if you don't know sort of increases my pain awarenes tenfold the condition increses a persons sensitivity to pain yeh I know great eh!! I was diagnosed as having SPD I have one leg longer than the other  most of my pain is on the left side I can't sit for more than 10-12 mins and if I stand still upright for more than the same amount of time my legs go numb I suffer constant pain in my buttocks and a strange one if i sit on a firm chair I get numbness in my groin and pelvic area I dont know if anyone else has this symptom, I am seeing a NHS Physio at the moment to try and strengthen all supporting and core muscles at 55 thats not an easy feat but i'm giving it a go she has offered hydrotherapy also, I have had acupucture before which was very succsessful, I do use a tens machine and hot and cold pads that I wouldn't live without, it is possible to buy a sacroiliac support belt but be careful not to become to reliant on it, rehabilitation exersise is the way to go I know its not easy when you are having a flare up (sacroilitis) but exersise can continue when the flareup subsides I am registered disabled as I have several other major conditions if I can have a go at I hope others might seek help to do the same "hound" your GP's untill you get a referral do not take no for an answer it is your right to be referred hope this helps a little  I really hope you feel a little better and remember you are not alone there are many people suffering as you are.best of luck

• Posted

Hi,

I have terrible SI joint pain. I walk 3-5 miles a day and that has helped a lot. Not on roads (too hard) but across/round fields. Im careful to watch my step in case I jar my pelvis.  I borrow my friends dogs. After years of agony and a recent slipped disc this works best and have actually had 3 days in the last 3 weeks of 'no pain'.

I also use the, 'Map My Walk" app on my phone. It gives you something to aim for each day and when the website is viewed on a big screen (desktop or tablet) when you get home, you can see how far, altitude and time graphs. I do not want to miss a day cause the missing data in the graphs looks bad. Its a great incentive.

Good Luck...x

• Posted

Hello- I live in the US and have had difficulty with finding a way to manage and deal with my SI dysfunction.

Have you had an accident? When did this start giving you issues? Do you find it is progressing?

I had a traumatic injury- for a few months I was okay and no problems except for minimal discomfort. Now I am affected every minute of every day/night.

Doctors gave me medication- are you taking anything?

Have you tried steroid injections? They have helped me but the pain is progressing and now the discomfort in my groin is so intense I am doubled over at times.

I have tried: 

Dry Needling, Chriopratic care, Massage, Steriod injections, Cupping, Physical Therapy, Stretching-Yoga (hot), Ice, Heat, and recently have given in to taking daily medication.

The medication makes it difficult to work or function. 

• Posted

I feel your pain !! I have had alif/plif tri-level.fusion.c5/c6fusion , removed hardware ten months later have had over 50 steroid injection. Induce yrs ,SI joint Dysfunction sever hypomobility.both knees need replaced , radiculitophy nerve pain everywhere, in pain 24/7 I just wanted to let you know that I feel and understand your pain

I would never consider SI bone fusion

Have friends that had it done left them worse Until a miracle happens I believe we are stuck and have to learn different methods of dealing

I have tried all that you have Nothing g last as soon. As I try to walk same pain but I keep walking although I also use a scooter to go shopping or site seeing, walking my dog etc I know it's hard will Pray.for you God Bless Merry Christmas

• Posted

I've been dealing with SI joint pain recently which also starts with heart palpitations when the pain flares up. Are you doing any better after all these years and what has helped you get better if so???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.