Sacrospinous Fixation Operation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all .. Am waiting to have a Rectocele repair with Sacrospinous Fixation because of  my vault prolapse following a hysterectomy some 20 years ago..... Have read thatconstipation and Buttock pain afterwards can be a real problem for some ? How was it for you ? I had a planned prolapse surgery about a year ago which had to be aborted, because my bowel was stuck to the abdominal wall and caused me infection, Ileus, and all sorts of complications ! Am now thankfully fully recovered and waiting again for the surgery, to hopefully fix my problems this time, but really apprehensive. I know this op is less invasive and  I am really hoping for a trouble free recovery, but would be very interested to hear about other peoples experiences of this particular operation.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I had the same two procedures as you are going to have. I had mine in June last year and it was absolutely fine. I had a spinal block and a mild sedative - the latter being like a very large glass of wine which meant the hour of the op just floated by!! There was buttock pain and truthfully if I walk or stand for too long thenI still get a dull ache even now. But it goes as soon as you rest for a bit. My major problem was constipation, the first bowel movement was so painful that I cried! However, that was before I realised that I could take four Movicol sachets a day - once I got on those then it was relatively ok. I rested lots, did no housework or cooking, no long walks - probably for at least six weeks. I am lucky as my husband just took over running the home etc. But it was worth it as I made such a great recovery. By the end of August (8 weeks after op) we went to France where I swam, walked miles and resumed my sex life!  I feel, and look, so much better since surgery and I would recommend it. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply JoolsB. I do like the idea of a large glass of wine !!! However I can't have the spinal block as they tried this as 'extra pain relief' last time and they couldn't do it due to possible 'spurs' of bone on my spine, as I have scoliosis, so will have to be a full general anesthetic for me. I'm fortunate too, that my husband, can take over afterwards and he's a good cook....so no problem there !  
  • Posted

Ros,  my surgery was cystocele repair,so we may not compare exactly, but the constipation could be an issue, since you are not allowed to push for a bowel movement.  I am eating whole grain cereal, 2 prunes a day, and. taking..colace a stool softener.,  (your doctor might advise a mild laxative if you need it.).  Drink plenty of water and you should be okay..  You have my prayers
    • Posted

Thank You dorothy03601 for the tips re constipation and lots of water is a very good idea too.
  • Posted

Hi there,

Well it's different for each person, but for myself the first week was unbearable. I couldn't poo for 5 days. The pain from the rectal pressure was unreal and I thought I would never get past those days. I took stool softeners, miralax, milk of magnesia and castor oil. I am now a few days away from 4 weeks post op and am only taking miralax every other day. It's not an easy road but as I mentioned everyone heals differently.

Good luck with everything....

• Posted

Thank You paula1519. Glad to hear things are now improving for you. How long were you in hospital for ? 
    • Posted

Thank you,

I was in the hospital for 1 night. I was sent home with the catheter for 3 days. I'm so happy that it's all getting better. Only thing taking its own time now to heal is the labiaplasty. Which I wish would just heal up asap so that I sit and walk again.

• Posted

Every woman is different, some have pain others (a very few) don't but the rectocele repair is usually the most painful. How did you cope following your previous surgery? That will give you some idea as to what your pain threshold is like. I have a low pain threshold so I was a real pain in the backside (pardon the pun) and I felt really guilty because I had nursed ladies who needed very little pain relief. Constipation can be a problem but I think now Urogynaecologists are more clued up on the problem of constipation and treatment often starts prior to surgery. On a positive note rectocele repairs are more successful than other repairs. So I wouldn't hesitate to say go for it!
    • Posted

Thanks Matron, The pain was not too big a deal last time as there was little done with regards to any prolapse, because the bowel surgeons were called in to deal with a small resection after it lost it's blood supply. Then came the diarrhea, vomiting and re- admission to hospital, and eventually, masses of antibiotics and a vacuum dressing on the abdominal wound to sort out the infection that was discovered. I also lost lots of weight because I was unable to eat for a while until my bowel started to work again ! I had cramps for a while but I think that was the bowel sorting itself out.
    • Posted

ros it sounds as though you've had a really tough time. Hopefully you'll cope well with this surgery after everything you've been through. You've probably realised this is a great forum for advice and support so keep in touch.
    • Posted

Yes it was a bit traumatic and all for nothing.... as it had to be abandoned ! ( Previous op was intended to be an abdominal sacrocolpopexy ) So as it's not advisable to attempt further abdominal surgery, my Urogynacologist wants to do this, as my next best option. Really hoping it works.  This is really a great forum for advice and support. Thank You so much
  • Posted

Reading some of these replies I feel I should add that I do have a very high pain threshold so probably a lot of people would have been more distressed than I was by it all. Saying that, yes it hurts but it nothing lasts for ever - it passes.
    • Posted

I think mine is too hopefully ! How long were you in hospital for ? 
    • Posted

I was in for two nights which I was very happy about. I like to be sure things have gone well before I am discharged as we live quite a way from the hospital. Not that they want you back! All I was told was go to your GP if you have any problems. Luckily I didn't.

For recovery I would advise lots of books and a dvd boxset of something you've always wanted to view! 

• Posted

Just had a call and looks like I have my hospital date ... it's less than 3 weeks away ( as long as there is a bed available on the day ) !! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.