SAD, depression, Cant stop sleeping???

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, I have never spoke to a doctor before! I am a 35 year old male, This year especially for the last 4 months I have had a problem. Its hard to describe but I will do my best. I cant stop sleeping and its taking over my life. I feel like the life has been sucked out of me. My sleeping pattern is also all messed up. I love being awake on a night and not through the day. I have always been like this but 4 months ago things have got worse than ever. I can sleep easily for 16 hours no problem and want to sleep more, but keep dragging myself out of bed as I am worried about loosing weight from not eating enough and also want to help myself but I cant snap out of it this time. i am a strong person but this time it has got me! A year ago I was in amazing physical condition and trained a minimum of 5 times a week with more exercise on top but last year around november this problem started and stopped me from being able to train, but over the last year this problem has escalated, the last 4 months being the worst. I feel o.k just so tired and low on energy. I dont smoke or drink and eat as well as I can, I understand diet from my times in exercise training. It sounds strange but I feel like I should be in hibernation. I really do! It has stopped me having a social life too! I have read about SAD disease and did consider getting a light box. I do have friends and family to talk to but nobody understands even though they try too, I don't even understand and I am a well educated person. I have read about depression and although I do sometimes get a little depressed as most probably do I am sure this is something more. I do not like the idea of taking medicines and fear if I go to the doctor I will just be given pills to mask the problem but I want to understand and get to the cause of the problem. I do not seem to have a life because of all this sleep. Sorry if I have not explained things the best but its hard to explain. I just know something is not right compared to how other people are, maby there is no problem and I am just different? I have come online as I wanted someone to talk to me rather than offer me medication as thats all my doctor would do! I can go into more detail if necessary! Thank you!

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello jimbobjim.

It does sound as though you have a rather severe form of SAD. I would have suggested ME but as you don't have any other symptoms I doubt it could be that. You would be feeling very ill and achey all the time. If it is SAD, I have a friend who bought a light lamp and got some relief from that. I am so sorry for you, it can impact on your daily life in so many ways. Naturally, winters are the worst, hence the necessity of a light lamp. I agree that you should not start on medication unless you get desperate. For me now, I have a lifetime of taking pills to look forward to which I can't stop for fear the depression will return. I have a comfortable easy life now that I am retired and wonder if the depression would return if I tried to reduce the doseage gradually. Why don't you give a light lamp a go before you seek help from a GP. I do hope you feel better soon whatever you decide to do,. Remember that SAD is a common condition (my sister suffers from it), so there must be solutions you can try. Have you looked it up on the list of conditions on this web site? There may be others you can talk to who know more about it. Good luck with your research and hopefully, a solution.

• Posted

Dianne. Please see my reply also. I agree completely about medication but, in the long term, it is better than no help at all.
  • Posted

Hi

To you both I know first of all about wanting to stay in bed I don't get up until about 12 lunch time and am back at 9 pm do very little ,don't want to go out.then of course medication GP has put me on pregabalin and only had 4 cannot take any more horrendous night mares shaking sweats crying you name it I have it so back to him tomorrow he has phoned today and said don't take it tonight.Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its good to talk to people!

I have always worried I may be depressed and nothing more as over the years I have gone through a few spells of depression (self diagnosed)but as I read more I am beginning to understand that what I thought was depression may be SAD or depression caused by SAD, I think everybody gets depressed at some time or another( its a strange world) but people deal with it in different ways, trying to think back I can remember I would always get a little down from the time of September till the year after but this year I have got it one of the worst I can remember and It has been with me a whole year. To add to my symptoms every night when I dream I have nightmares every night. Sometimes 2 or 3 a night and they are very vivid dreams. I am on no medication, dont smoke and dont drink. Not to sound strange but I don't mind nightmares and just see them as watching a scary film which I like! But where the dreams and there content comes from who knows and why I have them who knows?

To Joan, I think you should stop your medication! I have never taken anti depressants and feel I get as depressed or SAD as the worst cases but keep fighting it best I can. I am not saying doctors don't mean well but I feel that many medications are not good, I feel that medications only mask the problems and don't get to the cause of the problem which is why I have stayed away from the doctor, they seem to prescribe medications to easily which dont always help people, like you joan I sleep all the time sometime 16 hours and want more and feel my symptoms are similar to yours. I have become a bit of a recluse!

This is what I am going to try to make myself better. First I am going to make sure I eat as well as possible, I am going to start taking a multi vitamin, not a synthetic one though as they are bad for you, a Whole food multi vitamin! They cost a little more but have heard god things, I am also going to start exersize, maby a small walk each day and try build my way up from there. I am also going to try drink more water( sounds a strange thing to do but I dont think I drink enough) I am also going to look into getting a light box! I think talking to people who are going through the same too will help me so I dont feel I am alone as its hard for others to understand even though they mean well.

Joan can I ask do you get bored easily of life and its tasks?? I do?

• Posted

Hi jimbobjim

Thankyou for replying, nice to chat to somebody,I am like you about meds although I cannot seem to do it on my own and trying meds don't work just four nights and I am worse have cried all day today no reasons lovely bungalow husband and family .Just health anxiety which is horrendous have had every test there is but does not make me any better.to answer your question yes I am bored because I pcannot do the things I used to

Great organiser just ask Joan she will do it now useless,would not eat if Husband did not shop and cook

becoming a recluse.

• Posted

Hello all

Jimbobjim I am very interested in what you said about stopping medication. I am 22 this month female and I have been depressed since I was about 13/14 but only diagnosed in the last two years and also in the last two terra I have been on and off sertraline.

I also feel significantly worse in the winter months and have logged a weather diary to confirm this. After a horrific emotional event earlier this year in the last two months I have felt a lot better and decided to take myself of my medication. I believed all was going well until this week I had a huge relapse and the depression took over and came back. Day to day symptons include nausea always feeling the need to sleep ect. And it's a great effort to do daily household chores. I have a full time job which I enjoy a simple social life and a boyfriend who I don't live with. I would love to be I control of my depression and understand it any help is welcomed and most appreciated.

Thanks lj

• Posted

the last six months i havent been doing anything.im depressed and everything and dont understand why.ive been sleeping alot too.i sleep like 14 hours durning the day and im up all night it effects my school work. im going to be 18 soon and im failing all my classes. 

im hope u get better

• Posted

Please read mine and the othere responses to Jimbobjims initial post. You too sound like you suffer from SAD. Talk to someone about it. A GP, your folks, or someone at school. Research SAD online too. Try to eat healthily and get in the daylight whenever you can, I knw it isn't easy when you sleep so much. Most of all, don't feel alone. You too can email me if you wish, see my response above.
  • Posted

Have you ever tried one of those SAD indoor lamps? they really can help!
  • Posted

I think it's depression.I have been 13 years on pills, but i gave up as i think pills just supresse hormons.Well, i dont know if that was a good ideea as now all i do it's sleep.I cannot focus, im low on energy, it's like hell.

But i also think it's cause by sadness.I dont know about you, but im sigle and im 33.I split with my bf 2 years ago, and try other relations which didnt work.It can be an emotional problem, for feeling lonely. If you have a gf/wife then ican have other causes, but anyway, antidepressive will make u feel better, i just dont trust psihiatry,i think it's all about seeling drugs which have bad side effects and supress feelings, making you feel like a machine.

Im in the same situation as you are, thinking about a solution, if you find one before, let me know.

regards,

sophye

• Posted

Sophye please don't just stop taking antidepressants, it is very dangerous. They do not supress horomones, they balance the chemical inbalances in your brain, eg Seratonin, that cause depression. Do not dismiss therapy either, it can work. You need to find the right therapist first. If you start therapy and do not feel 'connected' to the therapist request a different one. Being alone can affect depression, I live alone, but so can being stuck in a bad relationship. Learn to get on with yourself, value your own company. Online/face to face discussion groups can help too. I wish you all well.
  • Posted

Jimbobjim...you are NOT alone! What you have said could have been written by me! The phrases  'TAKING OVER YOUR LIFE' and 'FEEL LIKE YOU SHOULD BE IN HIBERNATION' are exactly the same as I am currently experiencing. In Spring and Summer I am bubbly, walk around singing all the time, making oeople laugh, but come November I change drastically. I do use a light box but am unsure whether it is helping me much, especially now, in the depths of Winter. I have  been off work since November and fear for my job, Remember, though, that depression, including SAD, is a disability and your emploter, if you are employed, should treat it as such. Mine have been as supportive as they can. It also helps to know that you are not alone, which is why I have replied to you. Try contacting online discussion groups, people who know what you are going through. Do not give up hope. I see that you posted this comment over a year ago so maybe you have found a way of coping, but I hope that you receive this message of support.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service .

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I find my depression is much worse over winter too.

Sometimes I found it hard to get to sleep and my sleep pattern went out of sync, staying up late, couldn't get up in morning. When I was taking antidepressants getting to sleep was even more difficult, I had sleeping tablets from the doctor that made me feel like a zombie the next day.

I tried a homemade fluorescent light box on a timer switch to help me get up in the morning, but it was a rude awakening and just p*ssed me off and made my eyes hurt. eek Maybe one that dims up would be better.

I found taking circadin melatonin tablets helped me get to sleep and reset the body clock with no hangover the next day. They are sold for jet lag and can buy online in UK.

I feel quite depressed at the moment and sleep too much also, some days I sleep 8 hours during the day then a full night sleep also, and eat more sugary junk food. I have some time off of work at the moment so manage to get out during the day when feeling a bit better, going for a walk on a sunny day does help my mood.

I dream of moving to a sunny country, but when getting out of bed is a struggle it seems so far out of reach.

• Posted

It's taken a lot of courage to join this forum but I'm hopeful of finding some suggestions or advice about how to cope with SAD...I've allowed this condition to take over and play havoc on my life instead of trying to take control of it and admit there is a serious problem that has been there for a number of years. I'm 47 and now divorced often struggling to motivate myself to do anything apart from get up and ensure I give 100% in my job because that's all I feel I have left to make an effort for...The summer always makes me feel brighter and more active but this year it still seems to be a huge struggle...its a comfort to know I'm not alone in all this but what can I do to overcome the lack of motivation that seems to suffocate me
  • Posted

Dude did you find what is this about? Do blooh analisys for thyroid hormones TSH, T4 and T4... if your thyroid gland is performing slowly, you can feel sleepy... there's natural ways to fix this without medics. I have similar problems, followed by extreme anxiety and depression and my TSH hormones are high which means stress has takeover my body and now thyroid is malfunctioning...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.