SAD, depression, Cant stop sleeping???

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, I have never spoke to a doctor before! I am a 35 year old male, This year especially for the last 4 months I have had a problem. Its hard to describe but I will do my best. I cant stop sleeping and its taking over my life. I feel like the life has been sucked out of me. My sleeping pattern is also all messed up. I love being awake on a night and not through the day. I have always been like this but 4 months ago things have got worse than ever. I can sleep easily for 16 hours no problem and want to sleep more, but keep dragging myself out of bed as I am worried about loosing weight from not eating enough and also want to help myself but I cant snap out of it this time. i am a strong person but this time it has got me! A year ago I was in amazing physical condition and trained a minimum of 5 times a week with more exercise on top but last year around november this problem started and stopped me from being able to train, but over the last year this problem has escalated, the last 4 months being the worst. I feel o.k just so tired and low on energy. I dont smoke or drink and eat as well as I can, I understand diet from my times in exercise training. It sounds strange but I feel like I should be in hibernation. I really do! It has stopped me having a social life too! I have read about SAD disease and did consider getting a light box. I do have friends and family to talk to but nobody understands even though they try too, I don't even understand and I am a well educated person. I have read about depression and although I do sometimes get a little depressed as most probably do I am sure this is something more. I do not like the idea of taking medicines and fear if I go to the doctor I will just be given pills to mask the problem but I want to understand and get to the cause of the problem. I do not seem to have a life because of all this sleep. Sorry if I have not explained things the best but its hard to explain. I just know something is not right compared to how other people are, maby there is no problem and I am just different? I have come online as I wanted someone to talk to me rather than offer me medication as thats all my doctor would do! I can go into more detail if necessary! Thank you!

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey I am 31 I been dealing with the thaughts my whole life...I have philosophy's and stuff mental tuppness...........never ending cycle recently i been sleeping sonmuch when i wake up i colapse and have to litterally dart for cofee or my car .I was looking like a peo body builder now I been diving down.I  have ussed adderall and prozC in the past and atleast i was up trying a trade and even motovatednbut had weight gain..ive tried everyhhjng in the past always tried mind over matter..recently cant help dwelling on failure and my future...Indrive for uber wich helps and doesnt help at the same time....only thing keeping me any money...Uber is deffinatley stressefull and depressing .My dad is. Dentist and I been in his house my whole life..deff a night owl .tried a phycic .... tried everything exept medicine may be my permanent answer i always go offf but im scared s**tless with sleeping so much and loss of personality...feels like quicksand..may also need therapy.but the sleeping is something I can  do u till my body cant handle it and this winter was a week strait.... hard tk beleive you need helpnwhen you need it and no ine is around and s****y doctors wont let you see them..i worn out ao many practices and time is getting slim..Hope I make it or relate with someone..naturally im outdoorsy in great shape flirty.then im overweigt  shy. And paronoid unemployment  zzzzzzzzz. f**k this s**t

• Posted

Hi Brendan!

I am suffering from depression more then 3 years. 

From what i’ve read it looks like you have it too. When I constantly want to sleep it’s my body reaction on stress I know it 100%! When I am feeling good I am sleeping 7-8 hours and happy and don’t need any more. When I am not - I am not sleeping at night (thinking too much) but I am sleeping 10-12 hours during the day. Thankfully I am cab driver like you, and this profession actually safes me. Otherwise I can’t do regular working hours. 

For a very long time I was trying to fight it and go to work after sleepless night hoping that if I get tired I’ll fall asleep earlier and get to regular night sleep patern but no!!! It was getting even worse, I couldn’t sleep at night and exhausted was falling asleep at 6-7 in the morning.  So... at some point I stopped fighting it. And feeling much better honestly!  Some people here telling that taking antidepressants is wrong and you need to finds strength to fight depressession yourself - what an absurd !!! Being single mum with depression and having no relatives at all around how about that??? And only thing that helped me to slowly get my life in track - it was antidepressants and it’s nothing shameful in taking them. To fight depsession you need tablets and therapy - fact! I can talk about it fo ages, afraid I don’t have so much time. 

But what I wanted to say, listen you are 31! It’s never ever late start your life all over again. There is a reason behind every depression and it’s something that bothering all the time, it’s in your brain and it’s not giving you a rest. But to look at your worries you need to feel good and to feel brave enough to do it, with slowly progressing depression you can’t do it. So... go to the doctor ( I know they are not very helpful sometimes ) and do your first step to fight it! I am 45 and I am starting my life all over again. Don’t waste your time. It’s a difficult, nobody said it will be easy but it’s possible. All the best!

• Posted

Good morning, everything that you said on here sounds like the same thing I'm going through.UUUHHG...My dr.says it's because I work the night shift.i tell her no that's not the reason.o go back this Monday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.