Safe to take another dose of beta blocker?.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is it OK and safe to take another dose of Bisoprolol 2.5mg or even half a tablet to try and calm a breakthrough episode of A-FIB. I currently take my starting dose of 2.5mg which is to be reviewed next week.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Andrew wait and discuss with GP and only take what you are prescribed. I have constant AF and take 5mg apixaban, 5mg bisoprolol and 125 micrograms digoxin, as with any prescribed drugs you shouldn't increase the dose unless sanctioned by your doctor.

• Posted

OK Sue, will do.

Thank you for the quick reply. Sometimes its so scary and easy to think another would help it but I know you're right.

• Posted

When I was in bisoprolol 3.75 my GP said if I had an attack I could take extra, now I'm on Sotalol my cardiologist told me to take extra Sotalol if I have an attack, so it seems ok as a one off, but I guess you'd better check it out anyway, good luck Andrew.  

• Posted

Thanks Pauline.

I guess its scary cause its all so new to me too and I'm getting episodes everyday mainly late evening at the moment lasting hours.I've just turned 39 so this must be middle age catching up with me now lol.

Hope you don't mind me asking, do you find Bisoprolol or sotalol better at controlling it?.

• Posted

Do you have a trigger for such regular events? My AF started after heart surgery. It often worsens when I have problems with my digestion as it does with many others,  
    • Posted

Bisoprolol also lower b.p,  my consultant told me that Sotalol has a more calming effect on the heart, bisoprolol worked for me for 7 years, but now, after a b.p monitor they've discovered my b.p is hgh so have put me on amlodipine for that,  Sotalol is doing ok for me at the moment, I haven't ended up in A & E since  I went on it in august, having had attacks 3 consecutive months that year.  My fingers are tightly crossed.  All the best Andrew.  I might add that when I do have attacks I am absolutely terrified.  In fact my GP is looking into CBT now in the hope it can help with my constant state of anxiety, which also saps your confidence, once you are an a.fib sufferer.  It's learning how to deal with attacks as they say take extra Sotalol and if it doesn't work, go straight to emergency, thoughts of which fill me with horror, it's sooooo traumatic.  Sorry I've gone on a bit....😜

• Posted

Andrew, have you any idea what triggers it, are you drinking alcohol?  Also keep off caffeine, but I guess you've read all these tips on here, also heavy meals aren't good.  My consultant doesn't think there's a link with digestion, but I agree with lots of sufferers on here and think that it does, as I also suffer with reflux probs and sometimes when my stomach gurgles i feel extra beats or palpitations.  Try to keep positive altho I know how tough that can be.  Pauline 

• Posted

Don't know how you're getting on with Sotalol but it started my pafib. Since changing to Bisoprolol, particularly taken in the evening rather than morning, things are much better..

• Posted

Hi Pauline, I have been treated for reflux with omeprazole for 2 years and some very difficult bouts of it, i monitored my food and couldnt relate anything to causing it. Then last August i had a realy bad attack in the night with racing/uneven heart beat at the same time, called out my son in law ( a paramedic) who took my stats and whisked me straight to A & E with a pulse rate of 180. I now have constant AF and will be on medication for the rest of my life ( Im'e 70) the strange thing is that i dont now need to take omeprzole and dont now have reflux problems so i am convinced there is a connection. Talking to my daughter (a midwife) she says after giving birth many women have severe acid reflux because of the stress of birthing on their bodies, this got me thinking that maybe iv'e had a heart problem for the past 2 years which was causing the intermittent reflux..... my meds are 5mg apixaban 1 x daily, 5mg bisoprolol 2 x daily and 125 microgrammes digoxin 1 x daily. would be interested to hear what you think. Sue

• Posted

So pleased for you Marco that biso is doing ok for you.  It made me put on nearly a stone and made me so tired.  It did me ok for 7 years, then didn't stop the attacks.  I'm finding Sotalol fine at moment and just hoping it continues.  We are all so different.  I have 2 leaky valves, high b.p and a.fib, aged 73, do I'm thankful I'm still here.  May your health continue on the up. 

• Posted

Hi Sue, you'll most likely find the connection between the reflux issues and food and the AF is the vagal nerve. Suggest you Google it for a full description. Briefly, it is a nerve in the central nervous system which controls many organs, especially both heart and digestive system!

John

• Posted

Sue, I forgot to say that my daughter twice went into AF when she was expecting both her daughters. Went away after the first and returned with the second.

Then went away. It was put down to the body stresses related to the pregnancies!

John

• Posted

Thanks John will look it up,i must say that since the meds have been sorted (it did take a bit of juggling) i feel fine and live life to the full.
  • Posted

I am 65 year old female and take Bisoprolol twice a day. 2.5mg in the morning and 1.25 at night. I have been taking them since October last and have not had any problems. I also take Rivaroxaban anticoagulant, also with no problems. 

'It's not really a good idea to change your recommended dosage without your GP knowing. Is there no way you could check your dosage out with whoever prescribed your beta Blockers?

• Posted

You GP will probably tell you it is OK to take an extra one. Many people do not take it regularly but use it as a pill in the pocket if their heart rate becomes irregular.

Bisoprolol does not agree with me but I do take one if my heart rate becomes too rowdy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.