Safe to take another dose of beta blocker?.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is it OK and safe to take another dose of Bisoprolol 2.5mg or even half a tablet to try and calm a breakthrough episode of A-FIB. I currently take my starting dose of 2.5mg which is to be reviewed next week.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Andrew,

?Be very careful tampering with this drug unless under medical advice. do read the paper inside the box. This drug - like many - is a 'naughty little monkey' !

My advice is DO NOT mess with this one unless with your GP or Consultants approval.

I'm on 5 mg a day and take it in one hit with my other evening meds at around 8 pm.

John

• Posted

I'm hoping he ups mine to 5mg John as 2.5mg is proving useless.

• Posted

It is a drug that that should be increased slowly as it is pretty potent
  • Posted

You haven't gone on at all Pauline, to you and everyone else on this forum, I find it very reassuring and it gives me confidence to hear from other sufferers who don't mind sharing their own personal experiences on here. I had a horrible episode this afternoon, I should have taken my daily beta blocker at 1pm with my lunch but stupidly fell asleep around 12:30 on the sofa as was up most of the night with my wife as she has influenza very Bad at the moment. I was woken with a start at 5:30 having slept the whole afternoon away, I felt very anxious and dizzy and it took me a few seconds to realise my heart was pounding like the clappers and it ead this that had woken me. I used my finger pulse oximeter which confirmed my pulse was 136bpm. I then quickly took my Bisoprolol and had a drink of Andrews salts for the magnesium and two bananas for the pottasium plus my fish oil and multi vitamin. I then took a slow walk round the block with the dogs and thankfully 40 mins later when I got back it had slowed back down.

Unfortunately my wife and family don't understand AF and aren't very understanding when I get an episode, this forum is a genuine godsend!!! Thank you to ALL of you.

• Posted

When not taking bisoprolol my heart rate went up to 136. The doctor said take one 2.5mg now and another at night. In the morning my heart rate was 36bpm.

• Posted

I'm hoping my doc increases mine Derek so I can do the same 2.5 morning and same at night you know. Its not the high speed that gives me the scares its the uneven beat rhythm you know? Thanks again Derek!!

• Posted

That's exactly it Andrew, it just feels wrong and worrying.  When do you see your doc?  Hope your wife is better  today.  

• Posted

She's on the mend now Pauline thanks for asking, I've got a dam cold now but it's not the flu thank God!.

I see my doc on Thu, I'm still waiting for a letter from Dumfries and galloway royal infirmary for a date to get a tape/holder fitted S my doc referee me two weeks ago now.

Hope you are well Pauline, I'm working backside this week so only able to reply early or very late in the day unfortunately.

• Posted

Backside = meant to say back shift lol
    • Posted

Good about wifey and now you have a cold, glad it's not man flu, lol.  Think be good to chase re your tape, I had to shout after 7 weeks for my b.p test.  Also meant to mention to everyone that my cardiologist said tiredness can bring on a,fib, as I'm an insomniac I asked him, and he agreed that good sleep is important, so yet another concern, it's a vicious circle.  Keep well both of you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.