SAME BOAT

Posted , 9 users are following.

I Am in the same boat I have one very large fibroid that as of yet has not really caused me any pain, I have been told by one doctor that I have cancer and he was going to remove everything because I am almost 50 and I dont need any of it anyway. the next said no cancer but we have to remove everything because that is what we do??/( I am in ontario Canada) I am seeing a 3rd doctor on Wednesday of this coming week I am somewhat hopeful that she will just be on board for watchful waiting. I am 100% opposed to having a hysterectomy and will fight in every way possible to not have this done to me. I think it is barbaric the way they treat woman and the things they tell us just to get us to do what they want .... 

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The problem is that there is no way to actually ascertain if a fibroid is cancerous UNTIL it has been removed. However, the chances of it containing sarcoma are incredibly rare, something like 1 in 3,000,000. So, it isn't usual practice to remove it if it isn't causing you any problems. However, there are some things that doctors will take into consideration-- if the fibroid is suddenly growing quite fast, and if you are past menopause, then a fibroid should not grow much, as there is no longer the oestrogen levels to feed it. In that case (if you have past menopause, and it is growing fast) they should remove it, as it may be cancerous. In which case, they'll have to do a hysterectomy, because a laparotomy could spread cancer cells. 

So; two questions.

1) have you passed menopause?

2) is the fibroid growing fast?

If you answered yes to both, it would be likely that your surgeons will want to perform the hysterectomy. (Bearing in mind, fibroid sarcomas are incredibly aggressive and need treatment asap).

BUT if you answered "no" to one or both of these questions, you shouldn't feel pressured to have a hysterectomy, and have every right to question/ fight it.

Hope this helps! Good luck

xox Rosie

• Posted

I am 48 and not showing signs of menopause at all, it has grown a lot in the last year since the doctors found it, I however have been telling them it was there for 3 years before I was givin any testing, it has been discovered that there is actually two tests they can do one is a blood test and one is a dye test HDL3 that is given while in MEI  both have to be ordered by the doc and you have to fight for them. This started a year ago . So I am sure they are not that concerned. It has been quite interesting going through it all and how much research I have done and the info I have that was never offered by doctors. 
    • Posted

Can anyone feel the fibroids through their skin on the front of uterus?. I can feel lots of little lumps all along it. They are in the wall. I never used to but wonder if the lining had become thinner now and that's why. It was thicker a few years ago. Best wishes

• Posted

I got Embolization after Dr told me I have to have hysterectomy due to large fibroid. I did this Feb 15 2018 so in may I'll go check to see results of the shrinkage. It was a radiology Dr that performed embolization.

• Posted

How do you feel after the Embolization? How large was your fibroid?
    • Posted

I feel great now took a couple of weeks I had severe cramping after and night sweats for almost 2 weeks they gave general anesthesia not sure why they usually give local for that. One was 9 cm and a ton of smaller. My stomach seems smaller it can take up to a yr to shrink. No bleeding but spotting here and there. I guess it can be due to fibroids shrinking. I was so bad before I ended up having a blood transfusion. I am happy so far.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing!

I hope it's OK to ask - The sweats at night were the result of menopause caused by the Embolozation?

I read that one of the risks of the procedure is 'moving' to meopause.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing!

I hope it's OK to ask - The sweats at night were the result of menopause caused by the Embolozation?

I read that one of the risks of the procedure is 'moving' to meopause.

• Posted

No i never went into menopause. It was due to a fever and chills. That's one of symptoms too. My temperature was normal but I had all the other symptoms. I'm fine now. The menopause rate is also pretty low. Coming off of general anestisia and all that could caused that too.

• Posted

No problem you can ask anything you'd like. I was areck and super stressed. It's good to know as much as possible.

• Posted

I totally agree with you Julie. If the fibroid or fibroids are not causing ant problems then they can be left and hysterectomy is certainly not the only option. The main thing is it is your! Body and you decide. It is unbelievable what women are told in gynae offices. It concerns me that there are so many women who may just do what the first Dr days to them. Hysterectomy was the first thing said to me and I did not have one. That was 3 years ago. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Right??? The reason I started questioning it is the same doctor gave 3 other woman I know hysterectomy last summer one was my age he striped her clean on the inside took it all for a small 1 inch terratimoma overies and all the other had a small spot of endo, that he could have just cleaned up but he took almost everything left her half of one overie, third striped clean, he told all these woman they could have cancer and than after said no your good . The one who got to keep half of an overie was really upset after when her came to see her called her patient # 1 and said ya it was just endo. She was 43 so young enough he would leave overie but if your over 45 good bye. He is almost 70 and a big jerk!! I am going to Toronto this wensday march 21 to see a woman OB at a all woman’s clinic. It took me 5 months to get in because they had little to no concern about this. So wish me luck! 
    • Posted

I am beginning to think there is some issue with some gynaecologist s who are male and what are their intentions. I believe this role should be for women, but I know that would limit the availability of the profession.

• Posted

I agree! But they are all trained the same way taught th believe the same things. So I do not know if they would be any different I will find out this week. I will fight hard there is not much that will convince me that hysterectomy is a good thing beyond proving beyond a reasonable doubt that I have cancer! But seeing as my report said cystic degenerative fibroid and there is another one in my cervix there is no way they can do that it is just about what is easier for them. I will keep going until I find a doctor that agrees with me. Lol even at the cost of loosing friends because they are offended that I will not have this done even though they have. Not my fault you choose to blindly follow a sad old man who like to cut woman open.  Sorry I may still be bitter and I played hockey late last night so I am tired. 
    • Posted

so up date to my appt with the woman OBGYN, kind of a joke. She did do a biopsy which no other doctor would. But when questioned as to why she would not do a myomectomy she told me it was a waste of her time to do one on a 48 year old woman that I am not having any more children there is no reason to keep my uterus But than told me it is so big my Ovaries will be stuck to the side of it so if she did the hysterectomy I would lose them as well, I asked her why she would want to set me up for so many more issues by doing the hysterectomy  she told me there would be no issues they do these everyday.  I than asked her why she would take this hormone  producing organ from my body when you can just do a myo.. She said it is not hormone producing I said well it is.. SHE LOST HER MINE> told me I AM THE ONE WHO WENT TO MEDICAL SCHOOL . I AM THE ONE WITH THE PHD ,THE MASTERS I AM THE MEDICAL DOCOTR..  I just said oh yes your right  I am nothing I know nothing. for give me. I AM SO LOST WITH THIS CANADIAN MEDICAL SYSTEM IT IS JUST SO FRUSTRATING.

• Posted

Ugh how horrible to be patronized. We should be respected, it's our body. We should have choices regardless of age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.