SAME BOAT

Posted , 9 users are following.

I Am in the same boat I have one very large fibroid that as of yet has not really caused me any pain, I have been told by one doctor that I have cancer and he was going to remove everything because I am almost 50 and I dont need any of it anyway. the next said no cancer but we have to remove everything because that is what we do??/( I am in ontario Canada) I am seeing a 3rd doctor on Wednesday of this coming week I am somewhat hopeful that she will just be on board for watchful waiting. I am 100% opposed to having a hysterectomy and will fight in every way possible to not have this done to me. I think it is barbaric the way they treat woman and the things they tell us just to get us to do what they want .... 

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Find a doctor who can just remove the fibroid, called a myomectomy. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Ha that is my goal but it is a long slow process in ONTario . it takes months. I have been on this road for a year now and have only seen two doctors.
  • Posted

Hi I had fibroid embolization 2 years back because of large fibroids they shrunk a little bit but I carried on with pain in my abdominal and pelvic all the time getting worse. I was admitted to hospital because of a necrotic fibroid where I ended up having abdominal hysterectomy now 10 weeks later I am starting to feel better but it's been really hard but I couldn't of carried on the the constant pain it was driving me mad. One of the fibroids was 6lb. I keeped putting it of because I thought they would go away but I didn't start menopause and was still getting heavy bleeding making me anemic so think it's been best thing for me when I recover properly. Fibroid was actually growing up into my belly because of the size. Some people the embolisation works for but some it doesn't. X

• Posted

Hi Julie

Don’t agree that Fibroids are ever cancerous if you look up Fibroids it even states that. Standard Gyn use this to scare women into a Hysterectomy. 

Also  there is a big difference with a Laprascopic Gynocolgist than a standard one. For a start they are qualified in Laprascopic procedures a standard Gynocolgist is not. If the standard Gynocolgist knows that you have researched they will refer you. 

It s up to you but I know someone who had a Hysterectomy for cancer then after they told her they had made a mistake it was not cancer. Up to you . Good luck 

• Posted

Oh yes that is one reason because once it is out you can not put it back , I am fighting to not have a hysterectomy I fully believe I was told it "could" be cancer , because he wants money. I have been told they make upwords of 30000 per hysterectomy.  I do not want one as I am self employed I own a store and I have no  help so being closed for 6-8 weeks is just not doable that is and the pain and mental problems it will cause me is not worth it.

• Posted

Hi Julie

Yes I agree with you. I had mine done on the NHS so not sure money was an issue. I saw once that someone wrote that Hysterectomy brings money due to HRT industry and the fact that most women enter the Menopause after Hysterectomy. 

Makes you think doesn’t it. Also I think that if more women refused then it would not be pushed on us so hard. In order for that to happen though more awareness is needed. Both by women and GPS as they allow it to grow before referring women. I noticed on the Gynocology ward when I went in that there was loads of info on Endo but nothing on Fibroids. I asked why nurse said she was not in charge of what leaflets and posters are put in the waiting room. Maybe it cos young Women get Endo but maybe that’s me being cynical.  You standing your ground. One of my friends said to me. What happens if you get another Fibroid? My answer was if I get another then I will know it is a Fibroid I would insist on an Utrasound scab then hopefully laser or Hysterscopy which only takes a few days to recover. Cos at 5cm or less there are a few more options. I had a friend who had a Hysterscopy for a 4cm Fibroid and Hysterectomy was not even mentioned to her and she is over 40. She was lucky GP knew what is was. Anyhow I digress. Keep fighting you will get there I am proof of that.

• Posted

THANKS  so much. I was told outright that I would not get a myo because of my age but I do not like to be told no and will fight to the death lol. If my doctor had of sent me for an ultra 3 years ago I am sure all of this would not be going on!  but No when I became anaemic, I was sent fror colon cancer screening I said I do not have that my periods are getting heavier when I told them my mother had fibroids I was waved away , I have never so much as had a cramp in my whole life from periods I had 4 children with no problem last one when I was 39 my uterus has always been good to me until now. but that does not mean I want it gone. They look at me like I am nuts for not wanting it out??? other woman as well. I have been told so many lies by people who just have not idea!! I am sticking to my guns and I will win because I am a winner lol. 
    • Posted

Yes you are a winner! Good luck to you and keep us posted! I want a myomectomy too not a hysterectomy. Iam super tired of the heavyness like a bowling ball but iam afraid once in surgery the doctor will just take it all out. Iam super scared of surgery but I know I have to do something about this. These fibroids are huge and super annoying. Iam in Gilbert, Arizona in case anyone is wondering
    • Posted

Can anyone recommend a Doctor in Arizona that is great at myomectomy?
    • Posted

Me too i was afraid my doctor would just do a hysterectomy. I asked her again ya are not going to do a hysterectomy right🤔 . She was like no. But they still did a open myomectomy when i told them thst i wanted them to try laparoscopic and if they couldn't get the one in the back they would do open myomectomy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.