Sandrena help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Basically I've found myself in a position where I was recently changed from oral oestradiol valerate over to Sandrena .1% gel. So far, I'm pretty sure my body hates this stuff. I've been getting headaches, hot flushes, night sweats and nausea. Right now, typing this I'm starting to feel hot, I put the gel on at about 9am it's 4:20pm now (Australia). Last night trying to go to sleep, I was basically a hot sweaty mess with racing thoughts and just couldn't settle down till nearly 4am.

The Pharmacist suggested applying it to the insides of the wrists alternating the wrist each day. Asides from that I wasn't really given guidance on how to apply it by the GP. The Progynova was stopped as my new GP felt that topical was going to be better for my liver in the long run. My previous dosage was 4mg of Progynova, my current dosage is 1x .1% gel sachet a day. In case it helps, no uterus or ovaries, I've predominantly been on E only. This so far has been a week of hell, but I don't do bloods for another three weeks yet.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I've been on Sandrena 1.0 mg for 2 years now. I've been great on it no hot flushes, But recently i've started to get night sweats. I went on-line to do a bit of research. I found it is only oestrogen based.  I am now worried as i've read i should be on a combination of oestrogen and progestogen as i still have my womb. According to NHS direct, and i quote "most women take a combination of oestrogen and progestrogen, although women who don't have a womb can take oestrogen on its own". Can anyone shed any light on this please

• Posted

Hi Irene, Yes you are right you should be given both oestrogen & progesterone if you have a womb The progesterone is to protect the womb from thickening, I have taken HRT for seven years now. I had a hysteroscopy last year to have a polyp removed all was fine, Do you get yearly checks ? 

• Posted

hello thank God for this forum I've been using sandrena 0.5 gel for one week and I've got nausea I can't sleep racing heart and lack of appetite I'm unsure whether not to stop this completely and just go cold turkey I've had a total hysterectomy 4 years ago but started not been able to sleep dry skin terrible hair and nails and mood swings so my GP decided to start me on sandrena gel has anybody else experience any side effects and if so how long do they last please

• Posted

Hi Anna, only just came back on here. I contacted my clinic and they said because a have a marina coil which has progestogen in it i'm fine, thank god.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.