Saw GP today, better than a visit to Rheumie!

Posted , 12 users are following.

After seeing my useless rheumie in May, who wanted me to drop VERY quickly as usual. as is not evan sure if it`s PMR...I made an appointment with GP, and have just been....she said you drop as you want, as long as you want.....whatever works for you...yipee!......but then the bombshell, why have you never taken Alendronic Acid?.....because after 5 years, you will more than likely now get Osteoporosis, if you haven`t already got it!....(had dexa 2 years ago) was ok.  Told her of friend who has taken it 5 years, with  poor gums etc from taking it, she agreed that`s a possibility, but it`s nowhere near as bad as osteo.....so agreed to take for 1 month to see if I can tolerate it....thoughts please, as I don`t really want to take it, but doctor said I`m not due for another dexa scan yet....rolleyes​  Thanks for any thoughts or experience of this....

0 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya Linda. My doctor said the same to but I find that they give me a stomach upset

Many on this forum reject them for one reason or another and I have done the same. I do not wish to take more pills than I need to. Glad you have a good doctor and have dumped the the rheumie, most of which are a waste of space unless you get a good one.

• Posted

Im sure those with the knowledge will be along shortly but after reading on here and elsewhere decide not to take it. As i understand it makes your bones brittle so if you fall they snap and most of those who fall dont have Osteoporosis anyway, dentists dont like you either. I got accidently pushed down the stairs recently i am recovering slowly but i never broke anything and i have Osteoporosis in my left hip. Good Luck on this long journey.
  • Posted

As soon as I was put on prednisone, for PMR,  I was also given prescription for alendronate sodium 70mg tab (fosamax)...take one per week......along with daily calcium and vit d supplements.  Been on it 10 months..... 
  • Posted

Linda, glad you have a reasonable GP.

I reacted badly to AA  ( breathlessness and wheezing ) after just six doses and just took Calceos. Altogether I was taking Prednisolone for eight years  (3 + 5 with a break of three years.). Perhaps I was just very lucky but the surgeon who did my total hip replacement told me I had "amazing bone density" for my age ( 81 at the time ) so osteo porosis is by no means inevitable. Hope you are lucky, too.

• Posted

Another dexascan is the first requirement. I've been on pred for 8 years with almost no change in bone density. But I had the same discussion with a rheumy who I saw to get healthservice-funded physio and massage here - I'd just had a dexascan and the results are fine but she said she'd need to look at it more carefully to decide what to do. I told her she could spare herself the work, I wouldn't take it. Especially in view of the most recent research from Imperial (I think) - I will wait until I am nearer a low level because after about 2 years of it it seems to start to make brittle bone tissue with microfractures. The FDA have said for some time it shouldn't be used for more than 5 years - and that figure has been falling steadily. 

If you are on pred you are entitled to one after 2 years in most areas - it was certainly that a few years ago in the UK. I'd happily pay for my own - a weekend in Southampton and £55 for a scan I think it is. In the NHS facility.

• Posted

Yes I agree about another Dexa scan, doc said you had one 2 years ago so not necessary........

​The reason I wanted opinions on AA is because a friend of mine had breast cancer 6 years ago (fine now thank goodness) and was put on AA, she has now got gum problems....but her back was painful and bent over when starting AA......she has said the gum problem is worth it compared to the back pain etc she had....and bone density has increased.....now she has to stop AA, because like you say her 5 years is up....

​The doctor said to me Adcal is not enough....

​I will push again for a Dexa scan, and if not, will look into paying for one....I told her I don`t tolerate meds very well either, another reason I don`t want to take it....she said make sure you are sitting up when you do take it.......watch this space, have prescription, but......

​Thank you everyone for your imput....because of my friend I was torn about what to do....but think I know now......

Thanks again for all replies.....

• Posted

She can't tell whether AdCal is enough - it is all I have ever taken and have spent a lot of time of the last 8 years at above 10mg. The only reliable aid to the decision is a dexascan - and even then some doctors just won't accept it.

• Posted

Good grief, what will they accept!........once again they have their own agenda. 

Had to smile this morning told my daughter-in-law that doctor said I can lower  pred at my own pace, she said surely they agree at doctor`s and the hospital how it should be done.....as a mother-in-law kept my mouth shut....but La La Land came to mind!wink  Thanks again....

• Posted

Wouldn't it be nice if the doctors and hospital could dictate how PMR/GCA and other autoimmune diseases will behave????

La-la-land indeed...

• Posted

It is amazing how those little letters at the end of their names give

them such insight. Did you see the piece on Brexit?

• Posted

I said somewhere else that I know people with more letters after their name than in it - and they still don't have a clue. My dear spouse included sometimes...

Sorry Michdonn - I watched some of it but didn't have time to see it all. I've not heard of him but that doesn't mean much - however, what I saw seemed a fairly accurate representation thus far! Must find time to watch the rest!

• Posted

EileenH, enjoy your fellow Brit, I do I am a fan, he does a marvelous job on TRUMP. One of many that are making TRUMP out for what he is!
    • Posted

Yes EileenH, and then the JERK, will go on Twitter make a comment and a bigger fool of himself. And he is proud of himself for how many people follow him on Twitter. What an embarrassment!
    • Posted

I really hope more folks in the USA are finding out what Trump really is and who he really cares about.   Narcisticism in the nth degree!  Scaryi!
    • Posted

Oh, Elijo you are so right. Many of us knew that, but he got in with help from the Russians, how much we may never know. Almost every day something else comes to light. I also believe the Russians were involved in your Brexit movement. Check out where some of your politicians were before the election. Nothing would make Russia happier, than break up the EU. The French did not let the Russians change their election, good for them. US 😔

• Posted

The best thing about Brexit has been the effect it has had on the rest of Europe! They actually all agree about something - and many people have realised the risks associated with populism. Here in Italy the Five Star movement lost badly last week in local elections. Their leader at least is KNOWN as a comedian - that is his job in real life...
    • Posted

EileenH, as an admirer Winston Churchill, I am sorry to see the state of the UK. Maybe a wake up call for Europe, but the USA is still in a deep sleep. People are very angry, gunman fired on Congressman, gunman attacks people that are black or Muslim. Both sides totally out of control, very sad! 😢

• Posted

I'm in the USA  and have a great problem thinking of him as our president.  He's a narcistic clown who can't be trusted, all about him.  Yes, Many of us from the United States are worried about how this is all going to turn about.  He's undoing everything Obama tried to do and accomplished, including the new so called American Health Act which will leave so many people in bad straight.  Next thing he'll try to fiddle with Medicare.  He's a rich money man with absolutely no feelings for mankind.  He's gotten away with too much.  Time will tell!

• Posted

I was   hoping this blog on PMR would not turn political......can we return to PMR instead  BS??? Politics and religion are NOT related to PMR....
    • Posted

not "blaming" you, but  bringing it  to your attention considering you  are the expert on PMR, and this is a PMR blog.....

• Posted

I have no control over what is posted by others I'm afraid. 

• Posted

So we went off the track.  We are all fellow PMRers and sometimes like to share other opinions, appropriate or not to the subject.  It can even bring us closer together as a cohiesive group.  No, politics and religion are not related to PMR,  it's kind of like thie body and mind are not separate, but connected and have effects on us.  How do you all feel about that?

• Posted

Actually - thinking about it, politics DOES have a big effect on any chronic health condition that you cannot manage without medical care and PMR comes under that heading.

After the referendum result I didn't sleep well for months because I have no idea how my EU healthcare entitlement will play out here as a result. And pre-Obamacare, however you feel about it, I was faced with offering advice to people with little or no medical care in a system I know little about.

• Posted

I think the hate-filled  rheteroic from the Left is destroying the  USA. As Jesus said "If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand"..yes,  I know I will keep scripture off this blog......

• Posted

Jean, way back in the days when I was tapering from 9 to 8 I read what was to me a very upsetting piece of civic news just before bedtime.  I could literally feel my body going up in flames.  Advice on this forum suggested a little bump up to 9 mg wouldn't go amiss.  This I did, returning to 8 a day or two later.  From this I learned to actively avoid situations which I think will upset me.  And not to read or watch news before bedtime!  I'd say anything stressful affects our condition, and this includes the present political "situation" in the world.    

• Posted

Exactly why this blog should be a safe place to learn about PMR, not incite emmotional feelings about the world situation which we cannot control, except at the election polls....turn off the TV.....go plant your garden,...read a good book.....look up.....so sick of all  the negativity
    • Posted

I do get it.  But is is also a place where people need to get things off their chest, and all things considered, I think we do a pretty good job of steering clear of the politics.  You should hear me rant in real life!  But then it's over, and of course here the words stay waiting for some unsuspecting person, such as yourself, to trip over!  

This morning (now nearly 2 pm here) I had my usual walk along the harbourfront trail and today's sightings included several American goldfinches, a mourning dove, and a small blue butterfly.  Lupins and hawthorn trees are in full bloom. The day is clear and sunny and just about perfect! 

• Posted

Excellent idea, however we can't bury our heads in the sand.  The hate is in the Whiite House right now, and how he hated Obama and still won't let it go.  It's a global world now.  we have to think, can't always hide in our garden, although that is very relaxing.  We DO want to know what is going on.  Yes, on this site PMR is the subject of choice, a few other comments gives it some spice!

• Posted

"Man does not live by bread alone" and we are not defined by PMR alone     ( or whatever else ails us ) ; I absolutely agree with you Elijo.

How can we not be affected by the obvious evils in  the world especially at this time in UK. ? My sister's solution is not to read or listen to the news but that would not suit me.

Hate filled rhetoric comes at us from all sides and so often the Bible come up with the perfect expression.

• Posted

I wonder whether there has been any research on whether constant exposure via personal experience, internet and tv to stressors such as terrorist activities, political unrest and religious strife - could be a contributing factor in the onset of auto immune conditions such as pmr.....    
    • Posted

I would hope that Facebook or other "social " sites would  be the  avenue for people to vent about politics.....congressmen  were shot  during baseball pactice, because they were "republicans" ... Kathy griffin holds a blody head of trump as "comedy" , and the Shakespeare in the Park assainating Trump every performance( dubbed as "art"wink along with snoop dog shooting trump in the head in his rap video.....this is way beyond politics...his  pure evil and hate...

• Posted

some folks are so obsessed with politics, they become emotionally over-charged, as the shooter in DC did.  People can stay informed, call  congressmen/senators and vote.
    • Posted

Elijo, I suppose we can sit on our hands and wait and see what happens or get involved in 2018 elections. My wife and I were discussing this at breakfast. We live in NM, one of our Senators is up for re-election and a gubernatorial race to replace a conservative Governor. Which one to work for? That's the Question?

• Posted

jean22278, I do hope that none of your family will be affected by the new health care plan as proposed, but my family will be. And I can tell you that we can get emotional over that. What happened at the ballgame practice, was wrong! Gun violence is wrong at anytime, unfortunately we here in the USA, live in a violent Society, many of us wish it was not. Sorry we upset you!
    • Posted

Ricky, I believe some research has been done, concerning what happened to stress levels, etc, after 9/11.  Yes this event (and all the previous and subsequent ones) did affect people's emotional, mental and physical wellbeing.  I now studiously avoid attending council meetings, etc, and limit my community engagement to things where I know I can make a positive contribution without undue personal stress.  We only come this way once and it really is past time for me to stop and smell the roses!  On the other hand, I do what little I can to make the world a little more likely to be a place where our descendants can smell lthe roses too.

• Posted

I was thinking a few minutes ago - I don't know about the rest of you, but my feeling is that life in the last 15-20 years has been more stressful than the previous 40+. Most of us were born post WW2 and for the first half of my life I perceived life as improving steadily. I didn't live in the UK during the Thatcher era returning in the very early 1990s. Things had changed and it wasn't nice. But since the last financial crash - far worse. 

Or am I just getting old?

• Posted

Well, yes, you are and, as you know, I am even older, dating back to pre  WW2!  and, yes, I do think that things have got worse probably back since the Thatcher days. Greed is good and all that.

My generation saw huge improvements in the prospects of what are called "ordinary people" which are now being reversed. I think I have been very fortunate indeed but that does not make me  optimistic for the future of this country or the world. 

If despair is the unforgivable sin then I am damned.

• Posted

I think you are right.  Here things started to change with Brian Mulroney, who sang When Irish Eyes are Smiling with Ronald Reagan - so, yes, same time frame.  And now we learn that Mulroney was the "greenest" prime minister Canada has had, so he wasn't all bad, in spite of NAFTA (free trade - free trade for whom, certainly not thee and me).  And unfortunately the response to 9/11 changed the world and we still suffer the fallout.  As for financial crash, there is a certain advantage to living in a place which never experienced the dizzy heights pre-crash.  We didn't have nearly as far to fall, although things are a bit more pinched than before but I put most of that down to government mismanagement, not really to global pressures.

• Posted

It's like people have forgotten why the social seafety network was put into place, why we developed social housing, why trade unions are important, why all people deserve to be treated with respect and cared for.  Watched Victorian Slum House a few weeks ago and it disappoints me that within one hundred years we've forgotten most of the lessons learned - includng the importance of exercising the right to vote!

• Posted

safety rolleyes
    • Posted

I am pre WW ll, I think there was less stress when the middle class was growing, now that it is shrinking more stress!
    • Posted

The right to vote, I don't know how many people vote in my Mother's land, but here in the states it is not good. We a family who parents were voting immigrants have never missed a opportunity to vote and never will!

• Posted

Think about what you just said.  Which came first - growth of the middle class, hence more equity in access to amenities, services, education, good jobs, etc.  Or events, policies, which create greater inequity and push many in the lower middle class into poverty and even make those who are doing relatively well feel hard done by because the super-rich have nothing better to do with their extra money than buy up and level entire neighbourhoods and build luxury condos.  It's known that even when people are poorer if they feel there is some equality in their society they are happier than in societies where most may be better off, but perceive great inequities.

• Posted

Anhaga we are in violent agreement, when people can see a future given the opportunity they will work towards that, education, jobs, home,, given no opportunity life gets stressful. The real question is how stressful before the lid blows off, we do not want that!
    • Posted

Betty,  Thought I'd finish the scripture sited "Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

• Posted

I  agree...    so much so that in order to prevent the stress of secondary traumatisation we have disconnected from tv services and shoved the set under the sofa where it has lain for the past 14 months....  silence reigns in the living room....  where I am trying to create a healing space rather than a stress room!
    • Posted

Self care is a lesson that takes a long time to learn!   Maybe we pmr people took longer than others to stop and smell the roses!  Now that my body is subservient to pmr I find myself saying no to things that in the past I would say yes to......  
    • Posted

My husband loves rolling news....me I love radio, can`t beat music......would go mad if we didn`t have lounge and dining room!..........each to their own, we much keep chilled, not worth the rise in blood pressure, not good for PMR!......
    • Posted

Yes, so much pure evil.  Look at the evil, nasty, mean campaign the president conducted, and a newer more violent time has been set.  He didn't care who he crucified, horrible!  and the rhetoric continues from his mouth to suit himself, not the nation. Unbelievable. This all must change.

• Posted

My dilemna is that my husband and don't agree on any politics, so we have agreed to NOT discuss them.  We can go to our separate corners, and even separate houses!  This probably is a savior for my PMR, no flares!

• Posted

How lucky are you, seperate houses..... bring it on I say.....smile
    • Posted

Yeah!  Married 3 yrs. ago, both kept our homes,  We go back and forth, and separate sometimes since they are in 2 different towns.  It works!
    • Posted

We sold our house in the UK to a couple who were living next door to one another. I couldn't understand it - I thought they had a perfect arrangement!

• Posted

My first wife and I could not live in the same state, my second wife of almost 40 years, we can live anywhere together. She has to put up with me ready to fight at the drop of a hat. She only the second person who has ever been able to calm me down. I am a lucky man! 🙂

• Posted

I don't know about other people - the hardest thing I had to come to terms with in marriage was losing my own space. For a long time in Germany I had an office, "mine". When we returned to the UK we had a joint office - and I hated it. David always liked music when working, I needed silence (different sort of work). Now we have separate rooms in that he uses the spare room, I have a corner in the bedroom. I have a good view though biggrin

• Posted

If these arrangements work for us....then it must be good, we are all different, and I believe we all need our own space from time to time.....me, to sometimes curse out loud about the pain and restriction of PMR!.....
    • Posted

I have a shed that I go to do wood working projects, work on our bicycles and skis, I guess that my space. Jan, she stopped, made Tiffany stained glass lamps and stained glass windows, that was​ her space. So we each have our own thing.
    • Posted

Thank you Jean I was reading this blog and thinking WTH....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.