Saw GP today, better than a visit to Rheumie!

Posted , 12 users are following.

After seeing my useless rheumie in May, who wanted me to drop VERY quickly as usual. as is not evan sure if it`s PMR...I made an appointment with GP, and have just been....she said you drop as you want, as long as you want.....whatever works for you...yipee!......but then the bombshell, why have you never taken Alendronic Acid?.....because after 5 years, you will more than likely now get Osteoporosis, if you haven`t already got it!....(had dexa 2 years ago) was ok.  Told her of friend who has taken it 5 years, with  poor gums etc from taking it, she agreed that`s a possibility, but it`s nowhere near as bad as osteo.....so agreed to take for 1 month to see if I can tolerate it....thoughts please, as I don`t really want to take it, but doctor said I`m not due for another dexa scan yet....rolleyes​  Thanks for any thoughts or experience of this....

0 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, first thing is an up to date scan.  I had a diagnosis of low bone mass early on in my pred journey (aka osteopenia) and dr urged me to take AA, particularly after she went to an osteoporosis workshop!  I refused and in the course of one year improved my bone density from -2 to -1.6.  Please note that I was on pred the entire time, more than half of the intervening year between scans at a level of 5mg or more, the level at which it's felt pred can have a detrimental effect on bone remodelling.  I takethe usual supplements plus Vitamin K2, and do lots of appropriate exercise.

• Posted

Annaba, Would you mind saying which are the usual supplements you take In addition to the k2?  
    • Posted

Hi ricky - just calcium and vitamin D.  I also try to make sure I eat a diet which gives me the other micronutrients needed, including boron, magnesium, vitamin C, etc.  I take a few other supplements but they are for osteoarthritis (glucosamine, complete E, complete B)
  • Posted

Hi Linda, I have had a GP like that. You have been on steroids over two years so you should take Alendronic Acid. After an argument which I thought I had won, particularly as my Dexascan was brilliant, he let it go, only to go on about it the next time I saw him, so we went through the same argument again. I then had a phone call with him and he tried again. I now go to a different GP, which has solved the problem. 
  • Posted

I was on Pred for several months when density scan, showed some less density. I guess that how you state that. I had a once yearly zoledronic acid drip, I had no side effects. I will talk to my Endocrinologist who act as GP, about test before next ski season. I would have another drip, easy and I had no side effects.
  • Posted

Over 11 years on pred. At first doc tried different osteoporosis meds none of which agreed with me. After many years of taking no osteoporosis drugs new rheumy had me try prolia 18 months ago. Worst decision of my life. Still having side effects after just the one injection. Now see a different rheumy. After a bone density exam showed my scores had improved - 0.02- she said no drug was necessary as I am now down to 7mg of pred. Going down very slowly and hoping this time to succeed to at least 5mg where I will stay if I have to.
  • Posted

Personally, I decided not to take it. Read all the literature, pros and cons. Know too many people that have had problems with it....major problems. Jaw necrosis. Teeth problems. I am never quite sure if some doctors recommend certain mess because of patient experience, or recommendations from the drug companies. Often difficult to make an independent decision. I would be sure and take the calcium and vitamin D either way. Best to you..
  • Posted

I am taking calcium, vitamin D3, magnesium, vitamin K2, MSM and request

Dexascan in the fall. Still walking every day hoping not to see any sign of

bone loss in the fall.

• Posted

Folks, 

Rheumy is  trying to lower my prednisone from 15 mg. She  told me to go from 15mg to 10mg . I tried and was in pain...so I went to 12, then 13, and still in pain in the lower back and shoulders. This morning I took 15mg and by noon, I had no pain. I have an appointment with Rheumy this Wednseday and she expects me to be taking 10 mg......what do you suggest I tell or ask her ??? and what if she tells me to go to 10 regardles of blood work and pain? ( My CRP was near normal a month ago, so that is why she told me to lower pred dosage.)

• Posted

And, Jean, your experience is why we have to go by symptoms not bloodwork!  Your CRP is normal because your pred is doing its job.  You may be ready for a reduction, but if you are anything like me, 1 mg will be enough.  Going to 10 from 15 was 33% reduction, and it's advised not to reduce by more than 10%.  Have you looked at some of the resources available on the front page of this forum?

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

• Posted

From 15 to 10 in one go is a big step down and your symptoms are surely telling you and hopefully yor doctor that it is too much.  What Anhaga says is what many of us would agree with from our own experience.

Your doctor is there to advise not to bully you and I think I would feel inclined to quote the info you have from this forum. It's all very well for professionals to regard themselves as experts but, as they are dealing with live creatures, the enlightened among them will allow for individual variations.

• Posted

Jean12178, unfortunately I been in that position twice this year already, I have told my Rheumy, that I am going to listen to my body and not reduce my Preds if I am not pain free for at least 2 weeks and then by only 10% and no more.
    • Posted

And while you are looking at the resources - scroll down to the replies to find the "Dead slow and nearly stop" reduction approach. 

Of course your bloodwork is good - you are taking enough pred to manage the inflammation and so the body is not producing any of the proteins that increase the ESR and CRP readings. If the pain you experienced was immediate it is more likely to be steroid withdrawal than the PMR. Tell her what happened and also say you have heard of a slow reduction scheme being used in a clinical study in the UK which has been recommended to you by several people and ask if you may try using it. 1mg at a time is probably enough - but if she is insistent agree to trying 2.5mg but using the slow approach - it takes about a month to reduce the entire step, depending on where you start. It saves your body from the shock of the reduced does - which produces symptoms so like PMR you can't tell if it is a flare or withdrawal.

For many people with PMR the 5mg drops are far too much - even though they do work for many people in other illnesses. I don't know how long you had been on 15mg - but more than a couple of weeks and a 5mg drop is hard.

• Posted

I'm soooo lucky my doctor told me 1 mg per week, which meant when I got to the point where pain started to return I didn't have far to go to find the sweet place again, and then adopt the dead slow taper, which she was quite happy for me to do.  But it was this forum which told me I could in fact go back to the sweet place for a bit, then start the slow taper.

• Posted

And your motto:  It isn't slow if it works!

• Posted

Thank you so much..I have copied and pasted into Word, arming myself with information for upcoming rheumy visit. You all make so much sense on the reduction....my blood pressure rises when in pain from  prednisone reduction.. 170/85...even though on 100 mg losartan....going back up to 15mg prednisone lowers BP to near normal.....Thank you ALL for all your experiences with PMR...nice to know  it is not in my head, but in my body....
    • Posted

Part of the raised BP at lower doses of pred MAY be that the blood vessels are inflamed and, as a result, narrowed - and the fact the pain has returned adds to the suspicion. It is a not uncommon phenomenon for patients on their starting dose for any length of time to see previously raised BP fall. 

That's why it makes sesne to get all parameters stable before starting to reduce at all and also reducing in small steps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.