Saw GP today, better than a visit to Rheumie!

Posted , 12 users are following.

After seeing my useless rheumie in May, who wanted me to drop VERY quickly as usual. as is not evan sure if it`s PMR...I made an appointment with GP, and have just been....she said you drop as you want, as long as you want.....whatever works for you...yipee!......but then the bombshell, why have you never taken Alendronic Acid?.....because after 5 years, you will more than likely now get Osteoporosis, if you haven`t already got it!....(had dexa 2 years ago) was ok.  Told her of friend who has taken it 5 years, with  poor gums etc from taking it, she agreed that`s a possibility, but it`s nowhere near as bad as osteo.....so agreed to take for 1 month to see if I can tolerate it....thoughts please, as I don`t really want to take it, but doctor said I`m not due for another dexa scan yet....rolleyes​  Thanks for any thoughts or experience of this....

0 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I chose not to take it. My dexa did not change, osteopenia, not bad.  I truly feel the MD is exaggerating what may happen.  My MD left it up to me.  Hope it works out good for you!
  • Posted

HiLinda17563, Both my mother and brother had Osteopororsis, so I asked my doc for a dexa scan, I was found to hav e osteopenia, so docs started me on Calceos 1 x a day. When they found out that I had GCA they also saw that the calcium in my blood was very high, so in hosp they stopped it. I have now been home for 7 nweeks and they have told me I can take it once a day now. I went for a blood test on Friday so by the end of this week the report will be sent to my laptop I can then see wht is going on. I was told by my Consultant when you take this medication you should have regular blood tests to check on it. But the doctors practice I go to have never said. In future I will have to check everything myself, so I signed up to have all my medical records sent to me. Bit much tho, as I am a retired General Nurse I know what I am looking at but all those patients who do not have any medical degree will probably sail through life not lnowing and I feel that surgeries must be more aware of telling their patients.
    • Posted

When they found your high calcium did they also check the vit D level and your PTH? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.